2016 Household Purge / Declutter Challenge - Page 32
Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2229303132
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good for you Tine. I am taking 2 garbage bags of items to thrift in the morning. I have a few
    things that I can never decide to thrift or not. I am happy to say they are both in the bags and
    i feel good with my decision to thrift them. Let someone else get some joy from having them.

Now If i can resist picking up anything at the thrift store to bring back home. The only thing I
    need is a small baking dish.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I tossed a garbage bags worth of kitchen stuff in the recycle last Mon. And just tossed another in the trash. I have been stalled hauling stuff to donate w/ the van down but it goes in Mon.

Dmom has left the building. She donated her old bed,2 cabinet,her couch,an excercise bike and a ton more. She tossed a good amt in the trash and recycle too.
    Seeing all moms drama and angst made me realize I want to actually buy boxes and newspaper if it comes to that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by earlybird View Post
    Good for you Tine. I am taking 2 garbage bags of items to thrift in the morning. I have a few
    things that I can never decide to thrift or not. I am happy to say they are both in the bags and
    i feel good with my decision to thrift them. Let someone else get some joy from having them.

Now If i can resist picking up anything at the thrift store to bring back home. The only thing I
    need is a small baking dish.
    I have the same problem with letting things go and always feel best when I finally put them in the bag or box, good for you!!!

Don't worry about bringing home an item or two, think of it as "catch and release" like the sport fishermen. Just try to release a few more items than you catch, lol!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You know, DH and I did a big purge this spring, stuff we had been holding on to for decades. It was hard going through boxes and putting stuff in the pile to donate.

I can't remember what any of it was, now.

That's how much I miss it.

I saved my chinese dinnerware set because I wanted to actually use it, but there's still no room in the kitchen so I haven't touched it.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

DH is finally letting go of stuff. Had a reel to reel player that was his parents did not work once plugged in. Out to the trash it went. Went through the rest of the record albums have 2 boxes for the record store to go through anything that is left will get donated.
    Have a couple of boxes for the thrift store.
    Need to list a couple of things to sell this coming week.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well i only brought home 2 embroidery hoops, a book and little snowman doodad. i have a plan for the hoops and will read the book and return to thrift. i will probably send the snowman back too after holidays.

I found that it takes quite a few rounds of purging to let go of some things. I don't worry so much when I can't let it go because I know that soon I will be able too. I also can't remember much of what was in the mountain of stuff that went.

It is worth all the time and effort.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We eliminated the cats' safe zone so were able to move the two huge dog crates we were using for them out of the living room. Big improvement, although the cats probably wouldn't agree. But no one has been eaten yet and getting the cats and dogs so they can actually touch each other has been a big step in the right direction. They still have to be supervised at all times, but things are improving.

We got a bunch of the summer stuff put away for winter now and bought 500 pounds of corn to feed the deer, which is in trash cans on the front deck now. If the bears don't show up in the next few days, we'll move the deck box with the bird food in it out to the front deck for winter too. It'll be nice to have it out of the living room, finally.

No major purging going on here right now, but the dogs and cats are doing better together so I can steal a few minutes here and there to work on things. I've been slowly filling a big box for GW. We did get rid of a cedar chest and a small bookcase to GW. I've been trying to get rid of the cedar chest for years and was all set to do it last year, but then had to keep it so our elderly dog didn't roll off the foot of our bed. But now she's gone and it's sure nice not to have that ugly thing taking up space. The little bookcase was upgraded earlier this year but not dealt with till now, so it's good to have that gone, too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hurray! I was motivated to start picking up my sunroom today. Yesterday my hoarder friends came to visit. The husband said his DD#2 insisted she was coming to help clean out and clean up, either before Christmas or in the spring. His wife didn't think she'd have time to come visit at all. Hmm...their DD#2 has mentioned "staging an intervention" before.

The husband said he was worried she'd throw out some important papers, and he needed to organize things before she arrived. I suggested he get her started on something that had little meaning to him - like the mounds of children's clothes in their spare bedrooms. Their youngest is 30. Only one child is having children, and that's their DD#2!

I also suggested sending their DD#2 an email, telling her what parts of the house really needed her help. Basically outlining things the husband was ready to let go of. He admitted he had problems letting go. That he had watched his extended family descend on his parents stuff and divvy it up and give it away, without so much as a by your leave. And he had a family in need. He decided after that to keep things or acquire them "Just in case...". Now he has a property full of "Just in case..." I suggested he bless someone else who needs the items right now, with them.

The wife seems more nervous and determined than the husband to keep her DD away from her home. She's very territorial and defensive about the mess. And it is dirty. That plus some of the appliances no longer work properly. I'm thinking DD#2 might have taken on more than she can handle.

I decided I'll be a cheerleader, but I'm going to try hard to stay out of the middle of this. There are a lot of charged emotions about stuff with this couple. He collects and she enables. The kids want it all gone before the house burns down. I'm glad I don't live in the same community as them!

Still, the mere mention of them cleaning up their mess has motivated me to do something with mine. I spent half an hour in the sunroom studio picking up. It's not perfect, but it's a lot better in there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good idea to sit on the sidelines cheering. Sometimes those situations turn into war zones.
    They will figure it out.

I will help anyone when they ask but not before. I had a friend years ago that kept everything
    all year and i went over for a weekend with a gift of garbage bags............i sat in chair and said
    get rid of it for 2 days and she did. We had alot of laughs and her house got purged.

I am done with any purging again until spring. Will just try to curb any spending unless necessary.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Since I posted the husband's mother has died. They are flying to a funeral this weekend. Tomorrow is the husband's birthday too. Sigh...

They asked for a ride to the airport. I told them to come a bit early and we'd have a light lunch too. DH and I went out for some Black Forest ham to go on our Bakery Thrift Store bagels from the freezer, and some Swiss cheese that was on sale. Also picked up a Tiramisu cake that was NOT on sale, and some Breyer's ice-cream. Will add mustard, homemade pickles, and mayo and that should make a good lunch.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sold my noisy fiber optic Christmas tree. Gorgeous tree but to noisy have not put it up for a couple of years now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got rid of another two bags of older hardcover books. Down to three bookshelves full from six since we married. Still paring them down - hubby refuses to get rid of more books so I do and he never notices because he has never read those in years.

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2229303132