2016 Household Purge / Declutter Challenge - Page 5
Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks SD. We'll see. I'll talk to DH again before I list anything online for sale.

I just sold 2 boxes of homeschool and parenting books. The couple got a sweet deal...49 books for $40. A couple of those books alone would be worth that! But my competition is the local library. So I have to price to their $1/book level. These have been online for sale for 2 months for $50, so when I reposted this afternoon I lowered them to $40. It was a quick sale the second time round!

DH wants me to keep track of all the money that comes in from selling things. He's surprised people want our cast offs. He also has plans for the money. I do too. Come Friday, payday, it goes into our budget category jars and envelopes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We decided to go through the upstairs of the house and note things that bothered us and that needed dealing with. The list was long and discouraging. However, it did give us lots to work on this winter.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm in! Our house has been practically nonfunctional for over a year! Well, that's a slight exaggeration but after having cleaned DH's deceased sister and BIL's house to sell and his deceased mom's house to sel, we have a ton of stuff and have to decide what to do with it. Now, in Nov, my mom moved in with us. This required us moving out of our bedroom into the upstairs library so she could move into our bedroom. I don't know how many truckloads of stuff we've hauled to the thrift stores and to the dump.

Now we are down to the stuff we thought we needed. DH just took a carload to the thrift store last week. As someone on the thread said, it's getting easier to get rid of stuff. I want some empty space!!

DH and my cousin plan to move Mom's two little storage buildings down here tomorrow, a distance of about 5 miles. At some point, we have to deal with all her stuff, or she does. We'll deal with the storage buildings first I guess. She and Daddy planned to open an antique store when they retired but that didn't work out for them and now we are stuck with all the stuff. DDs 1 and 2 have sold some online, we've had two yard sales and for two years had a booth at a local festival. I think we've reached our limit of selling things.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have 12 areas in the house to declutter,
    clean, and spiff up. The first 3 rooms are
    the master bedroom ensuite, and the
    bathroom is first.

Special projects are the garage, the bookcases,
    and the closet in the office.

I am going to take my time, 1 area a month,
    hopefully it won't take that much time.
    EmilyD

Change/Piggy Bank Jar Challenge (I use it for my clothes allowance)
    All silver change into piggy for 1 year (Oct 2019)
    Household savings account $200.00 monthly, current bal. $2600.00
    My savings: current bal. 100.00
    Pay extra on mortgage/loan/auto $50.00 @ monthly

Projects for 2018: Done
    Replace wooden pathway with concrete
    Cemetery Plots and burial plot for kitty
    Payments for cemetery products $80.00/$1875 per month x2 yr. begun in March 2017
    Pay off old and closed credit card

Projects for 2019:
    New porch (from dh's vacation fund, this summer)
    New garage door (next week, $900+tax)
    Hire out yard clean-up, bush trims, weeds ($400)
    Major declutter house (in progress)
    Major declutter garage (in progress)
    Re-decorate my bathroom (in progress)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I purged a couple dozen assorted ready-made tee shirt collars and a tiny Christmas tree into the GW box today. Not much, but it's something and something is better than nothing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I de-cluttered my kitchen counters this morning. There was quite a mess left from the holidays. DH is back to work now, so it's time to pick up a bit.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Today I began putting away the Christmas candles and candle holders and decided to clear out the other candle-holders from the back of the cupboard. Took them to the local Hospice charity shop along with other stuff I've been setting aside over the last few days.

Now I have empty sacks and can start filling them again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I cleaned up our kitchen, too. Funny how much bigger a room looks when the counters are cleared off. As long as I don't look at the island anyway. LOL.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wow must be the day to clean off the counters. Did mine today also only a little corner left that DH has his stuff. Need to get him to take care of that area.
    Also cleaned out DH dresser took out about 5 t -shirts that we're starting to look ratty he has been wearing these same ones forever.( he just takes the top one and goes no farther down than 5 as those 5 get put back on the top)
    Got rid of 3 pairs of jeans and about 10 pairs of underwear and all the socks that had holes in them.
    Now I need to do the same with my clothes.
    Cleaned out the freezer ( above the fridge only one we have) we sold the big one this last summer as just to big for the 2 of us.
    Reorganized it and cleared off the top shelf only thing that was on it was the ice maker container. Did an inventory so now I know what is in there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's only the two of us and we have a large upright freezer, a small chest freezer, and the freezer in the large side by side! And they're all always full. We buy a lot of stuff on close-outs, like meat and cheese, and I also freeze HM convenience meals and WW meals. It works for us but we're all different. Maybe we're just too greedy.

I'm not doing much purging today. I'm sort of burned out on it. I know I'll be getting back to it soon because there are a couple of hot spots left over from the latest round of sorting/shuffling/purging/decluttering. That stuff needs to be dealt with soon. And of course my sewing room needs a major clean-up. But I need a break, so at the moment I'm more interested in doing some sewing for a charity.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I phoned Dad about Mom's knick knacks. He doesn't want anything to do with them. He suggested I talk to my siblings. I told him 'no'. Last time I did that I got an earful from my DSIS#2 who insisted she wanted nothing to do with Mom's stuff, and it was all my stuff now... 'Nuf said. I've had similar, more kindly responses from my other sibs, so I think it's sale time.

I don't mind doing the sales because we really don't have a lot of Mom's stuff. It's just that I also do not have the china cabinet or other space to display them.

I was checking e-bay and think I can get $150-300 for 10 pieces I have. Actually, if they sell for e-bay prices I could get $300, but my local crowd I sell to won't pay that for them. We'll see. I'll price high and lower it later. Next up is to take some nice photos of them and put them online to see if there are any bites.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you can clear that much after fees and shipping, that'll be some good money!

I made Chinese food for supper and dirtied up a lot of dishes, so it's a darn good thing I cleaned up earlier today. It was worth it though, and now everything's cleaned up again and we have enough leftovers for supper tomorrow, lunch for Husby on Wednesday, and two WW meals for the freezer so I can find out if this dish freezes well. I can cross off one of the recipes I've meant to try for years now, and it's a winner.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I never seem to have anything that anyone wants to pay me for. I take everything to a thrift store that supposes missionaries. At least i know my junk is helping the world.
    I live in an apartment now but the clutter still gets in somehow. We sold our house about 12 years ago when husband retired. That was some of the hardest decluttering and clearing out I ever did but you know I do not miss anything I got rid of. Truly cant even remember alot of the stuff. We donated car loads of stuff and had a big dumpster delivered and filled that. I think you have to be in the right frame of mind to let stuff go. Over the years we have found that we love the emptier look. We moved alot stuff that we didnt need and about 4 years ago I did a brutal purge. Again, cant remember most of it and havent missed any of it. I would say 98% of what I have I can honestly say I love and it makes me happy. But I still have 2 bags in the closet to go to thrift next week so it never ends. haha

Anything that goes out the door, no matter how small keeps the forward motion going.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That's another thing here. It's really hard to sell stuff. We had a hard time even giving away our pool table. It should have been worth at least a couple hundred dollars but nope. We've had that problem before, like trying to sell our last camper. We priced it way below book value and never got a single call about it, even when we put it in a region-wide paper. Everything comes down to whether or not there's a market for it.

I was truly shocked we sold almost everything on our garage sale. We advertised that it was mostly camping gear, but most of the people who showed up seemed to be near retirement age or older, not people you'd expect to want tent camping gear. I didn't care, their money was good.

We cleared out my mom's house almost three years ago. She has hoarding tendencies and I think it just about killed her. Nobody had time or energy to do a long series of garage sales so she gave or threw most of it away. She called in some antique dealers to look at her stuff she thought was so valuable and no one wanted it. It was really hard for her and now every time she needs something, all we hear is, "well, I used to have...." She says she doesn't blame us but I think she does, at least a little bit. Yet it was her decision to move to an apartment. Nobody forced the idea on her. She just can't seem to move on in some ways.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have friends like your mom. They hang onto things because they "might need them" someday, or one of their children might. Truth is the children are looking on in horror at the state of their childhood home, and planning "an intervention" for their parents in regards to their hoarding. The mother knows this and told me so! But still, she doesn't do anything with her hoarding husband. She says their marriage works better if she doesn't say anything. Hmm...I bet!

I listed about 10 items tonight. We'll see how well they go. I list high because people here always come and haggle. I get frustrated. So they can haggle to where I want to sell the item anyway. If they don't email because they think the price is too high, then they really don't want the item. These are items Mom picked up on her global travels with Dad in the 1970s/80s.

Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast