2016 Household Purge / Declutter Challenge - Page 7
Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Put Christmas away today. Boy! Does the place ever feel bigger! And emptier! But that's okay. Time to plot what wall hangings I'm going to hook for what walls of the house.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Watching YouTube videos on de-cluttering craft rooms. I think mine needs a serious going through again. Seems I can only do a bit at a time. It's so overwhelming.

This morning I went through my art supplies in the basement again. I'd love to haul the five drawer unit everything is in up to my craft room, but there's no space for it there. So next step is to clean out, clean up, and rearrange the craft room to make room for one measly little drawer unit about 12" wide and 4' tall...

Talked to DH about fixing my drum carder and he says he'll do it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What did you find out on YouTube? It seems like most how-to's involve buying a bunch of expensive storage products.

I think crafts are one thing that, no matter how many times you go through them, there's always more to get rid of if you're like me and have a lot of different interests and/or tend to buy way ahead.

I hear ya about only being able to do a little at a time. But that's okay, eventually it'll all get done.

This is the wrong thread, but I found a simple recipe for kimchi. I haven't tried it but I might when Napa cabbage decides not to cost $5 for a small head.

Kimchee (4 servings)
    2 T. Thai sweet chili sauce
    1 T. unseasoned rice wine vinegar
    2 t. reduced sodium soy sauce (I refuse to use this and go for the regular stuff, Kikkoman because it tastes the most like Korean soy sauce)
    1/2 chopped small Napa cabbage
    2 chopped scallions
    Toss all together till mixed well, let stand till slightly wilted, about one hour.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yum! Thanks for the kimchi recipe. I was gifted kimchi for Christmas, but I'm keeping this in mind for later.

I looked up Craft Room de-clutter and reorganization. I decided really what people do is hang curtains to hide everything. One lady had her craft room serve 3 or 4 functions: laundry room, craft room, kitchenware storage, and glassware storage. It was nuts in there! And at the end of the video it didn't look any better than when she started! There was one good one though, that required a lot of redecorating and painting of furniture, etc. Let me see if I can find it for you. Here it is.

The others I watched...

Tips for keeping craft clutter under control
    31 Day Challenge - I'm currently watching these...there's a series of them. It doesn't look like she finished the 31 day challenge though. Seems to be a theme of crafters being overwhelmed with their spaces!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Today, put in the hall to go to the charity-vintage dealer tomorrow: my old, Singer, hand-cranked sewing machine in its original wooden base and carrying case. It's done sterling service over the years but there have been so many times when, rather than HAUL it out, put my back out moving it to a suitable table to work on and then reversing the process has seemed like too much effort. So repairs have been done . . . slowly . . . by hand. Or - er - not at all

But in clearing out his late mother's house, MyLovelyMan came home with a very modern electric sewing machine - ! For me! His rotten sister didn't even argue about it, apparently. So now, the old one goes; and as it's vintage, in working condition, AND with a handbook - it should fetch the charity a pretty penny.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Decluttering does pay off. Last year during the holiday break I decluttered my linen closet. Went to do it this morning and low and behold I only had to remove a set of sheets keeping these but moving them to the basement as I usually just wash the ones on the bed and put back on but I have 2 beds in the basement that I would switch out with this set if we have guest use one of those beds.
    2 bath towels only because I had 6 in there and 2 in the bathroom and we never have all 8 dirty so just seeing if we can get by with less.
    1 table cloth that will not match once I get the kitchen painted. This will get donated.
    Such a freeing feeling that it stayed so organized and clean for a whole year.
    Same thing with my bedroom, it used to be a dumping ground for odd items that had no place to go, but since we repainted it and tore up the carpet and got the wood floors redone it has stayed pretty clutter free.
    Sold a small heater, an ice cream maker and a humidifier yesterday so those things are out of here. Starting to see some openness in the basement. Listed some more stuff for sale hoping to get it sold in the next week or so otherwise it is getting donated.
    DH is starting to get on board here which is good cause if we want to move in the next few years there is no way we are packing up this crap that has just been sitting here gathering dust.
    Today I want to make my way through a closet in one of the bedrooms in the basement and see what I can find to either sell or donate.
    Last edited by Domestic Gal; 01-10-2016 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Spelling

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks, Peanut. In the first video, she didn't mention purging anything but wasn't there a computer in there somewhere that mysteriously disappeared? I'm a fan of curtains but not the poofy kind. I like something more flat, and if they don't slide easily like a shower curtain, forget it. I'm not going to fight with a dang curtain to get at my stuff. I have to be able to open them. But curtains are great for making cluttery spaces look uncluttered, especially if the fabric is a solid color. I wouldn't mix colors and patterns like she did. It's personal preference of course, but IMO it's visual clutter. I accept my sewing room is going to look cluttered though. I think it's unavoidable with all the small bits and pieces that are in a craft space. Besides, it's a workshop, not a living area, so for me it doesn't matter that much if it's not ready for a magazine photo spread.

TK, too bad about the old sewing machine but having a modern one should make life easier. I hope you can find a space to leave it out all the time. I use one or more of my six machines almost daily, often for jobs that take just a couple minutes to repair something or whatever, and I'd never get that stuff done if I had to drag the machine out and put it away just for that every time.

DG, we're sort of talking about maybe moving at retirement, too. So much depends on what happens up here with the mining situation and the economy which is tanking big-time right now and dragging property values down with it. Stupid politicians. But at any rate I'm so glad we're purging so much stuff. It makes us happier in the short term, but in the long term it'll make things so much easier. My worst nightmare is that something would happen to one of us, leaving the person left with this godawful mess to go through when we'd be least able to deal with it all, and maybe be in a position where one of us had to prep the house for sale quickly. It's all a big incentive to get it under control while we're still able to.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yeah SD. I agree. I have fabric curtains hiding the stuff under my cutting table - plain off white ones with a pattern to the weave that is barely noticeable. Not poofy.

TK, way to go on the new-to-you machine! Enjoy it!

DG, way to go on your de-cluttering. Our de-cluttering has been prompted by my poor health and a possible downsizing at retirement.

Was thinking about fitting the art stuff in the sewing studio when I was half asleep last night and think I've come up with a solution...we'll see...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I get some of my best ideas when I'm half awake.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Me too! It worked! Instead of making room for the 5 drawer 13" x 4' plastic unit in my sewing room, I took everything out of the drawers and put them where they belonged in the house. Sketchbooks on the main floor with my other sketchbooks, and the actual art supplies up in my sewing room cum craft room.

Only one thing to think about now...my art papers for making journals etc. Technically I could give them away, but occasionally I do use something from that large portfolio. And I don't really want to get rid of the portfolio. It's great for storing large pieces of card and paper. A Catch-22 situation.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've emptied so many totes by simply dispersing things to their proper location. I love that! I don't know what we're going to do with all the empty totes. Unfortunately we can't get rid of any till we're completely done with everything. I'd hate to get rid of them and then find out we need them somewhere.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I'm thinking that way about the five drawer plastic unit. I don't want to sell it yet. It might come in handy someplace else in the house...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Exactly. I'm not over-saving many things, but I'm basically not getting rid of any type of storage/organizational stuff, drawer dividers, cat litter pails, totes, cat litter jugs and other plastic containers I've cut down, tins, wire holders, etc. It's mostly gathered in a big tote at the moment. The only storage stuff I've been insistent about getting rid of is cardboard boxes. I'll buy totes if we need something, but I've been repurposing things we already have. For the DfG project, I rounded up a small plastic tote with a lid and thought I needed one twice the size, but after more thought I realized I had two very nice plastic dish pans that will stack with the lidded tote. So I can use those and it's worked out great. Putting the lidded tote on the top effectively makes a 'lid' for the dishpans stacked in each other with stuff in them, and when I'm not using them they'll take much less storage space. I may change my mind later but for now, it worked well.

I was glad the other day I've been saving all those containers when I needed two containers to store two strings of pine cone tacky lights. I found two nice tins the perfect size. Once we're all done sorting everything, then I'll get rid of a lot of what I've saved.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    I've emptied so many totes by simply dispersing things to their proper location. I love that! I don't know what we're going to do with all the empty totes. Unfortunately we can't get rid of any till we're completely done with everything. I'd hate to get rid of them and then find out we need them somewhere.
    SpiritDeer - if by "totes" you mean cotton/canvas bags with handles - you could send them to me!

In the UK, shops are now required by law to charge (OK, it's only pennies, but . . . ) for a store plastic shopping bag - marked with the store's name, so it's us paying them to advertise for them???? Everyone is investing in their own shopping totes which they take from home; there's a market for strong totes that can go to the supermarket again and again. Yes, eventually they wear out - the handles tear away (now I have a good sewing machine I can sew them back on again ), they pull apart at the seams; but they generally last longer than the plastic ones we got for free for so long.

Now we don't have "free" plastic bags to line our kitchen waste bins with; now there are fewer and fewer plastic bags filling up landfill sites. So what ARE you going to do with all your totes?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What we have done since the beginning of the year:
    1. Dh has reorganized his side of closet, actually the clothes on hangers only. Donated 1/3 of them.
    2. Dh also cleaned up / put away the 3 vacumn packed storage bags, which have been sitting on the top shelf of the closet for at least 3 years.
    3. I cleaned & reorganized one kitchen cabinet, which has all the mugs, glasses, pitchers, etc. Trashed 2 plastic salad bowls (cracked), but kept the plastic covers (14" diameter), I am going to recycle them for planters trays, as an extra protection for the hardwood flooring. That's only took me 15 minutes.

I am not going to buy any glasses until maybe 2-3 left, we still have plenty to 'break', not intentionally of course. I kind of like the idea of mix & match mugs (no full set remaining now), each guest can have own mug/glass, no confusion which is whose.

To me, I have to mentally remind myself to add decluttering as one of daily cleaning routine, only an extra 10-15 minutes, & work on the area that needs it. Maybe later on I can do more systematic decluttering.

Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast