2016 Household Purge / Declutter Challenge - Page 8
Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What did I purge today? It seems like I tossed out something, now I can't think what other than some fabric scraps I didn't need. I've been putting stuff little by little in the GW box, too.

TK, no, totes here are plastic boxes with lids in various sizes and shapes, like these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=sr_1_6&sr=8-6
    Those are the ones I've had in my sewing room that I'm trying to get rid of, most of them anyway. I had a good business about twenty-five years ago making canvas shopping bags and selling them. We've used the same ones for getting our groceries and many other purposes since then and they're not even close to being worn out. I've never had a handle tear off, either, but then I wouldn't sell less than the best. I closed the business when we moved to the lake because I didn't have a good place to work and because I had repetitive stress injuries to both wrists due to the sewing I did for my business and for a contract I had with a couple other businesses. My wrists still act up from time to time if I've overworked them, so I can't go back to sewing professionally unless I want surgery and rehab, which I don't.

I'm not a huge fan of tee shirt shopping bags, but they're popular now and easy to sew. There are various instructions for them all over the internet, but here's one I dug up with a quick search, in case you're interested in giving one a try. FASTEST RECYCLED T-SHIRT TOTE BAG I don't like them because they're too stretchy, but they are cheap, sturdy, easy to wash, and lightweight, so there are some nice things about them. If you look at Pinterest or just do a search, you could find loads of instructions for making various types of shopping bags AKA tote bags out of repurposed items. I have some I've made from woven plastic feed sacks. I'm not a big fan of those either but I do like having the option of putting three 12-packs of pop or three gallons of milk in a bag and knowing it's not going to fall apart. A bag that holds fifty pounds of bird seed handles that stuff easily.

I think we'll need the totes in the garage for storage out there. We have a rodent problem in the garage that I don't think is correctable since I can't see any way to mouseproof the big door, where they get in. So we're going to have to mouseproof everything in the garage, starting with the ceiling which is currently open, but which we plan to enclose and insulate next spring.

Vanilla, I need to start noting on a calendar what we've gotten done here, too. We did that one year and it was so encouraging, it kept us motivated to do more just so we could write it down. I loved looking at that calendar with all those squares filled up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SpiritDeer - strange, isn't it, how we are "two countries separated by a common language" (G.B.Shaw) - I refer to the different meanings of "totes", in this case.

Today's declutter: an almost unused foot spa delivered to a charity-shop that supports young homeless people. It's not much, in the greater scheme of things, but every little helps.

I took a look through my books to decide what I could declutter: VERY DIFFICULT. I set myself the target of just five books and - am getting rid of six. Two are from . . . my time at high school; yes, I think I can live without them, by now.
    Last edited by Toffeekit; 01-12-2016 at 01:22 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Toffeekit View Post

I took a look through my books to decide what I could declutter: VERY DIFFICULT. I set myself the target of just five books and - am getting rid of six. Two are from . . . my time at high school; yes, I think I can live without them, by now.
    Addendum: another one jumped out at me so it's going: "The Best of Times - Growing up in Britain in the 1950s". Someone will want it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I need to go through cookbooks and shoes. I saw the other day GW has their summer clothes out now so I should go through and get rid of sandals now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well I didn't get the spare bedroom closet cleaned out the other day but I did get under the steps cleaned out. This is where all the Christmas stuff lives. Went through and got rid of a box of stuff from there.
    Also sold some stuff the last few days.
    Sold some board games yesterday and suppose to be selling a small desk lamp, 2 ice tea pots and a milk shake machine today if they all show up.
    Now have 2 good size boxes of stuff for the Salvation Army store.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you sew, you can make some pretty decent washable bags from old jeans and karate belts. The quick and dirty way is to cut off the legs, tear open the inside seam, match them up to other legs (they will be matched up with one pair right side up and one pair upside down - use as many legs to get the size of bag that you want), pin and sew. For the bottom, sew in your favorite manner or just match up the edges and sew. Cut the karate belt the size that you want the handle to be and sew that one where you want it to be. If you want to put heavy stuff in, sew the handle on with the square with an X in it and make sure you sew up the bottom with a heavy duty seam. If you do a French seam, you have fewer string things in the bottom (unless you have a fancy serger).

As for a "non quick and dirty" way, oh my!! I have seen some super fancy bags: patchwork with different colored jeans, frilled out with lace, cathedral windows (think that is what it is called), and lots of others. If you do a search for jean quilts, you can get lots of fancy ideas.

Yep, someone would definately want that "the best of times" book. If it was over here in a thrift store, I would buy it. The UK was still under rationing in the 1950's because of WWII and I am a huge WWII buff. I love reading on how they made a life with all the restrictions and such.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    Vanilla, I need to start noting on a calendar what we've gotten done here, too. We did that one year and it was so encouraging, it kept us motivated to do more just so we could write it down. I loved looking at that calendar with all those squares filled up.
    That's a great idea, SD, thanks! I especially like the idea of filling up the squares, a very nice feeling of accomplishment.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by zakity View Post

Yep, someone would definately want that "the best of times" book. If it was over here in a thrift store, I would buy it. The UK was still under rationing in the 1950's because of WWII and I am a huge WWII buff. I love reading on how they made a life with all the restrictions and such.
    Zakity: I know we're supposed to be DE-cluttering, but if you would like this book, I can send it to you by post . . . snail-mail, not even air mail because of the cost, but if it would be valued . . . This is a serious offer. Please let me know.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How sweet of you!!! Thank you for the offer! I have to pass though. I am so behind on reading material right now. I probably have 3000 books (kindle and paper) to read. If it was here, I know I wouldn't be able to resist buying it (bad bad bad zakity). But, I need to be good and not add to my reading "pile".

Thanks again though...

Is it bad that I keep having to tell myself "no" about that book... Must. not. add. to. the. book. pile... Must. resist....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Cleaned out under my sink today. Lots of stuff went into the trash as I know it has been under there for years. I mostly use vinegar and dawn dish soap as my main cleaning products.
    Started the closet in the spare bedroom in the basement took out about 8 wall hangings that I am not going to be using any longer they are going to the donate pile.
    Still more stuff in that closet that will need to find a new home but not here any longer. Will be listing some more stuff for sale.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My sister just invited me to go to the thrift store tomorrow so I can get rid of the 2 bags of stuff in the closet.

I started myself a giant calendar in january to keep track of everything and just in the short time so far I am loving it. I am getting stuff done and not procrastinating. Also going back to read what I have done it a good feeling.

It will be fun to look back as the months go by and realize that i get more done than I think I do.

I keep a list of things I am looking for in my purse so I can check everytime I go. Maybe I will get lucky.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I keep a mental list of stuff I'm looking for secondhand. After last year though, that list is very short now! We were really lucky.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I got up in my craft room, SD. Went through my past instructions/patterns and culled them/refiled them. Also went through my project bag by the sewing machine and culled some projects. Made a list of mending, etc. I need to do. I'm going to spend about an hour every weekend up there catching up on my sewing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I need to do the same. I have been doing some small projects/repairs when I'm in there, but I need to go through things in a more systematic way.

Tonight I might start cutting the next batch of liners for DfG. The PUL came yesterday so might as well get started. I'm not going to do a big push to get it all done this time though, just work on it when I feel like it.

Roads are slick tonight. Probably no better tomorrow. I'm not sure we'll run errands this week. There's nothing we're in desperate need of and who needs a fender-bender. I should have had Husby pick up the dye today. But then I have plenty of other things to do.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Cleaned out the pantry tonight and got rid of a bunch of weird stuff we had in there. Also, gave me a clue about how much I used to spend on eating out. Like, the bags and bags of noodles from the Chinese restaurant that were stuck in the back, or the five containers of McDonald's hot mustard sauce for chicken nuggets. Eye opening. And gross.
    Blog: http://amysreallife.com

Amy
    Wife to
    Mommy to 4
    Public School Teacher

Debt:
    Mortgage - $399,526.10
    Grocery Budget Challenge: $749.08/$800.00

Always remember others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself."

Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast