2016 Household Purge / Declutter Challenge
Page 1 of 32 123411 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default 2016 Household Purge / Declutter Challenge

2016 Household Purge/De-clutter Challenge
    This challenge is for those who are interested in de-cluttering or purging all or parts of their homes in 2015. You may do a Fling 2016 Things in 2016 or just a general "fling".. Join in anytime and post your progress.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge May
    $

Grocery Challenge/May
    Goal $250.00
    Total $14.11

Eat Out No More May
    Goal 20
    Accomp/1

No Spend Challenge/May
    Goal 20
    Accomp/

Change Jar 2019
    $

Christmas Fund 2019
    $

Emergency/Sinking
    $100

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm definitely for this! We still have my parents' inventory from an antique business and even though some of the items have dropped in value, some haven't, and we need to get rid of them for 2 reasons: 1) space and 2) money.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm in. DH and I are looking at downsizing for a variety of reasons. I need to go through the rooms and de-clutter for a spring garage sale...if necessary. First goal is to put thing up for sale online. If they don't sell, then we'll walk friends through the piles to pick out what they want. If we still have stuff, there will be a garage sale in April. After that, it all gets donated to the Salvation Army.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Me, me! I'm in!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am all in DH wants to retire in 2-3 years and we want to relocate and downsize to about half the square footage we have now so need to start decluttering and selling around here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm in on this one. Don't know how well I'll do but I'm in. I need to find more space. I'm one of those people who attaches sentimental value and have a hard time parting with stuff or thinks to herself I might need that or be able to use that some day. So we'll see.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge May
    $

Grocery Challenge/May
    Goal $250.00
    Total $14.11

Eat Out No More May
    Goal 20
    Accomp/1

No Spend Challenge/May
    Goal 20
    Accomp/

Change Jar 2019
    $

Christmas Fund 2019
    $

Emergency/Sinking
    $100

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Niko, I'm the same. I always think I will have a use some day. We filled two 12 yard dumpsters this fall, in preparation of getting remodeling done. Most of this stuff came from the basement & garage. Now remodeling is nearly complete & I have the job of putting everything away. We turned one bedroom into a storage room & it has to be cleaned out. Anything that doesn't have a place in the newly remodeled rooms is getting given away or thrown away.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I’m back, and I’m definitely “in” on this one. We are moving two small homes into one larger one within the next six months: some stuff has GOT to go – but what?

I donated a brand new, unused steam iron just last week: I’d been keeping it “just in case”, of course; and as soon as it was gone, a friend said “But what if the one you have just stops working?” I reckon you can’t go on keeping stuff “just in case” but it’s hard to know what to get rid of.

Do you know the site “365 less things”? The blogger suggests tasks for six days a week: dispose of, declutter, throw away, give away, sell, get rid of . . . every little helps. I’m trying!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's a process. It gets easier the more you purge though.

If you have two of something and don't need two, keep the best and get rid of the other. If you get rid of something extra and the one you keep needs to be replaced later, chances are good the stores will have another one. You have to decide if you want a home or a warehouse. There are some exceptions, of course.

If you have numerous things of sentimental value, choose one or two and let the rest go, especially if they're all from the same person.

Don't try to figure out other uses for things unless you need whatever you're repurposing the items into. Repurposed items still take up the same space. It took me a long time to get over remaking things just because I can.

If you don't need it or absolutely love it, ask yourself if it's earning the space it takes up.

If it's a project of some kind, be honest about how likely you are to finish it, and if you do finish it, where will it go and do you really need/want it?

Accept that you'll make some mistakes, and make up your mind right now you're not going to beat yourself up about it, you're just going to buy a replacement and forget about it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dh returned in Oct after 3.5 yrs. Combining the
    2 households will take a while. This thread will help.
    EmilyD

Change/Piggy Bank Jar Challenge (I use it for my clothes allowance)
    All silver change into piggy for 1 year (Oct 2019)
    Household savings account $200.00 monthly, current bal. $2600.00
    My savings: current bal. 100.00
    Pay extra on mortgage/loan/auto $50.00 @ monthly

Projects for 2018: Done
    Replace wooden pathway with concrete
    Cemetery Plots and burial plot for kitty
    Payments for cemetery products $80.00/$1875 per month x2 yr. begun in March 2017
    Pay off old and closed credit card

Projects for 2019:
    New porch (from dh's vacation fund, this summer)
    New garage door (next week, $900+tax)
    Hire out yard clean-up, bush trims, weeds ($400)
    Major declutter house (in progress)
    Major declutter garage (in progress)
    Re-decorate my bathroom (in progress)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post

Don't try to figure out other uses for things unless you need whatever you're repurposing the items into. Repurposed items still take up the same space. It took me a long time to get over remaking things just because I can.
    Yes - ! I stood for a l-o-n-g time with a fragile, basketry tray in my hands. It's been with other trays, in the kitchen, for ages; I was thinking I should get rid of it but I found myself wondering what I could repurpose it as. NOT A THING. It's gone.

But the childhood I had in England, in the aftermath of the Second World War, when we were still collecting newspapers, glass bottles and jars and metallic "silver" paper in class, and when there were pig-swill containers in every community, and when those lucky enough to have space to keep chickens made their own chicken-feed from household scraps . . . was a very strong formative influence.

Today I put in the collecting bag for local charity one voluminous heathery-pink scarf that I haven't worn since I donated the pink coat I wore it with - and that was so long ago I can't remember when it was.

The craft materials I am probably NOT going to use up are next for consideration.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Little by little.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD, you're a writer, right? I have a question. What do you do with the old drafts of your books/articles? I have hard copies of drafts of a self-published book taking up a filing cabinet drawer. I'd like to get rid of them, but am not sure if it's a wise thing from a legal or professional perspective. Can you or anyone else shed some light on this topic?

Also, for other homeschool moms or those who've homeschooled in the past... I have two bankers boxes of finished projects and work the girls did. They are in their late 20s/early 30s now and won't be needing this stuff. Hanging onto it is purely a sentimental thing for me. For DD#1 I neatly organized everything into 3 or 4 binders to keep and pitched the rest. But DD#2 presents a problem. She was a lot more prolific in her writing! Should I just bite the bullet and do the same for her that I did for DD#1? Or should I just give up and toss everything? What are you doing? Or plan to do?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm in. I have worked 2 12 hr. day in my second pantry clearing and reorganizing. Dh had many unkind words recently to our son who was visiting. It is a slow pocess. BUT I am determined. The MIL would make a nice guest room if we put some money into it-at the very least a good tv room.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Peanut, I'm going through unpublished stuff and if it's of no more use to me, it's being shredded. I would never toss unpublished work where just anyone could find it. Magazines I've been published in, I keep in slipcases. It's the e-files that make me crazy. That, and the various drafts of my first novel because I stupidly did not date them, so I have several 400-page mss. I can't get rid of till I determine which one makes the most sense to keep and which are the oldest ones and which are multiple hard copies I printed for my beta readers. E-files are hard because I need bits and pieces from them and IMO it's hard to looks at an e document, moreso than being able to page through a hard copy. But I'll get through them eventually. I also have a stack of partials I'll be going through and shredding. I think fiction writing is a bit different though because I do use parts of past work or even just the ideas from some parts in new projects. Nonfiction, not if the info is outdated. I may keep some of the e-files of my non-fic because I still own all rights and could potentially sell the articles again.

I'm keeping the magazines the articles are published in. I never had hard copies of those, but I would dump those, too. That's the plan with the hard copies of my published fic, as soon as I get time to go through and match up the mss. with what's been published. No use keeping those either, since I no longer own the rights to them and there's no other market for them anyway.

If I had multiple copies of published works that have no monetary value, no question, I would keep one copy just because it's a project I accomplished, and destroy or otherwise get rid of all the others. There's no point I can see in keeping multiple copies if you can't sell them. There are no legal ramifications I can think of for destroying extra copies.

If your girls aren't interested in the homeschool projects they did, why not pick out a couple of their best stuff and dump the rest? Or maybe the best one from each year for each of them or something like that. Why keep ALL of it?

Page 1 of 32 123411 ... LastLast