2016 Homemade Anything Challenge. - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks. I'm going to write that down. I wonder if I bought Dawn concentrated by mistake. I'm using the pump I got from dollar store foamy soap and have tried several. It seems like they're okay to begin with and then get hard to use. I'm wondering if the soap settles to the bottom and gets too thick, but I stir it up and that doesn't seem to help. Maybe I should buy another Dawn bottle and use that pump and see if it helps. I'm using the same pumps on the pint jar I have in the bathroom and that seems to do better. Maybe the problem has to do with the length of the tubing the pump has to draw the soap up through.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I hope you find the problem SD..

I didn't get to make or do anything homemade today...was gone most of day with my son who turned 21 years old today.
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks to your son for his service, and your family as well.

Today the soap dispenser works fine with barely a touch. I wish it would make up its mind. It's like it gets clogged somehow and then works out of it, but I've tried to look at it and can't see anything obvious wrong with it. And like I said, it's been a problem with different pumps. Weird.

Today I'll be making homemade Chinese for supper. WW recipe, of course!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Happy Birthday to your Son, and tell him Thank You from is also!
    Wow to be 21 again, lol

I am trying something new for me, going to make game hen stock with the pressure cooker, electric, bring it up to pressure and time for 15 min, yea...
    its done! easy peasy if it works!
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have to make everything from scratch now, but I don't think you want me to put down what I am making everyday..? Any processed food has way too much salt and sugar and I can't eat it, that also includes alot of the low sodium products out now.
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I got a foam soap for a gift a couple years ago and have been using the bottle ever since. I put alittle jergens hand soap in and water and shake. I think I have had the same bottle of jergens or 2 years. I have made homemade wipes out of 1/2 paper towel roll, most of my cleaning supplies and some garbage disposal fresheners. Most recently I cut up a lemon that was getting old and put it in a couple ice cube trays and froze. then transferred to a baggie in freezer. now every couple days i toss a couple in the disposal and it smells so good.

I would like to try the laundry soap but I dont think I want to make a giant amount. I should see if I can cut down the recipe. I think for me its just as frugal to buy when its b1g1 and use a coupon. I try to use 1/2 of what the bottle says so it seems to last a long time. Do you make the laundry soap to save money or so you know what ingredients you are using?

I did see a you tube video to mix and raise a loaf of bread in a gallon bag and then bake. I thought I would try that next.

I find that I am making more meals from scratch. Cutting down on the processed foods.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by earlybird View Post
    I got a foam soap for a gift a couple years ago and have been using the bottle ever since. I put alittle jergens hand soap in and water and shake. I think I have had the same bottle of jergens or 2 years. I have made homemade wipes out of 1/2 paper towel roll, most of my cleaning supplies and some garbage disposal fresheners. Most recently I cut up a lemon that was getting old and put it in a couple ice cube trays and froze. then transferred to a baggie in freezer. now every couple days i toss a couple in the disposal and it smells so good.

I would like to try the laundry soap but I dont think I want to make a giant amount. I should see if I can cut down the recipe. I think for me its just as frugal to buy when its b1g1 and use a coupon. I try to use 1/2 of what the bottle says so it seems to last a long time. Do you make the laundry soap to save money or so you know what ingredients you are using?

I did see a you tube video to mix and raise a loaf of bread in a gallon bag and then bake. I thought I would try that next.

I find that I am making more meals from scratch. Cutting down on the processed foods.
    I'm making my own to save money...

I'm not sure what brand you buy but I was buying Tide and even on sale using coupons it won't come close to spending less than $3.00 on my homemade version for 5- gallons that once it's diluted by 1/2 with water equals 10-gallons..so I seriously doubt you would be able to to get it that cheap.
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

So today I have made up for the past couple days of not making anything homemade.

Today I made homemade dishwasher cubes & homemade fabric softener add that to the homemade laundry detergent and I can check that off my list.

I can already see that I will be saving lots of money and really see no reason to *waste * my dh's hard earned money when I can make all of it for pennies!
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am sure that your homemade is definitely cheaper. My thinking for me was that I live in an apartment with not much storage so I dont know where I would put that quantity of homemade. So buying on sale where I get one free and then cutting the amount works better for me. Its easier to store 2 bottles than a 5 gallon bucket....in my situation.

I wish I had more room to be able to make ahead. So I absolutely agree that your way is cheaper.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by earlybird View Post
    I am sure that your homemade is definitely cheaper. My thinking for me was that I live in an apartment with not much storage so I dont know where I would put that quantity of homemade. So buying on sale where I get one free and then cutting the amount works better for me. Its easier to store 2 bottles than a 5 gallon bucket....in my situation.

I wish I had more room to be able to make ahead. So I absolutely agree that your way is cheaper.
    Oh yea, that changes everything up a bit.. (( HUGS ))btdt.

You could scale the homemade version down if you wanted to try making your own.
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Making a different recipe for soy sauce, its alot easier than the other one, but will have to see how it tastes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm hoping to reach a goal of 300 canned food items this year. I set a goal of 500 and FAILED miserably last year. I didn't get enough of a lot of things (corn, green beans, jam, so much more) but this year is going to be different! I have a hookup for sweet corn in case my garden does not produce enough, and a hookup for pears as well as my usual hook ups of apples, peaches, strawberries.

What I need to can this year:
    60 quarts of green beans
    100 quarts of corn
    50 quarts of creamed corn
    30-40 pints of jam
    20 quarts apple pie filling
    20 pints carrots
    10 quarts pickles
    50ish? pints of beans (pinto, red kidney, cannellini, etc)
    Step 2
    Will update this when I have time

Food grown for my family so far: 37lbs 1 oz!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Made my soy sauce, its a keeper and alot easier than the last one.

Rai, Good Luck with all you jars! I still have roma's in the freezer I haven't canned yet, this year I am really cutting down on tomatoes, I have too many for this year so will only do a couple plants. I want to try squash this year, acorn and again spagetti. plus all the others, beans, peas, beets, carrots, cucumber.

I need to figure out this pressure canner so I can do beans and veggies.

I am scared to death I have lost a pear, 2 peach trees, plus I know for sure about 1/2 of the apple and about 20 plum trees are dead, from the polar vortex last year. They are telling us to wait until this spring to see if they are gone, or they start over. I really dont want to plant new trees, these have been producing fruit for 20 yrs. now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Pine tree- oh no I hope your Fruit trees are ok. Did they leaf out at all last year? You're talking about the polar vortex from last winter not this winter right? Sounds like you could have lost a lot of trees.

What I listed above is just what I really need to can. There is a bunch of other things I "want" to can lol. Bbq sauce, fruit cocktail, soups, salsas, etc.

It's feasible with all I want to can...will I have enough time and energy is a different story! Lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Rai, It was last years, and no they didn't put out one leaf, I am really praying they are resting and will come back this spring. well at least the peach and pear. We cut out alot of cherry trees, they needed to be thinned out anyway.

Fruit cocktail is easy, excapt getting all the fruit at the same time and not having to pay a fortune for one or the other, I had to buy it all last year, but still got some good prices, and put up alot of quarts.

I try to put up what I need in a year, but sometimes I dont even come close, or am way over on other ones! I don't know you are going to have a little one under foot, and then a 2 yr old, so, you are really going to be busy!!!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast