2016 Homemade Anything Challenge. - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

i re-learned how to make home made pasta yesterday. it was good. haven't made it in years.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Made homemade onion soup mixes
    Hamburger helper meal packages
    onion powder
    French dressing
    Next is trying to make chicken and beef boullion without salt and potassium. So glad I havethe dehydrater!
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I made microwave muffin bread yesterday. Unfortunately I've been eating it. But I did figure out how many slices I could get out of it and the Smart Points value, so that's ready. The WW breakfasts I've been making for myself lately call for a muffin and I don't want to buy any more.

I've given Husby strict instructions not to buy bread or buns anymore. He does not like whole wheat breads much or bread that's not 'fluffy'. I think the wheat buns I make are plenty 'fluffy' but I guess not. I may have to compromise on that issue and use all white flour. He does like the muffin bread though. I didn't tell him I used half whole wheat flour.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Ooo, I don't remember this challenge, is it new for this year? I'm in!

I made homemade chapstick for the first time this month. I reused old chapstick containers and used a mixture of half coconut oil/half beeswax. I made three tubes. The consistency is great and it cost only $.05 a tube, but I'm not entirely satisfied at the moisturizing effect. I'm going to add a bit of shea or cocoa butter next time.

I also made three bookshelves over Winter break for the kids' rooms. Not fine wordworking or anything but they look pretty nice with their homemade 2x4 loft beds.

I made 6 homemade toys from doorbuster fleece for my daughter's birthday. Two were video game characters(saved about $30 by making those)and the other 4 were her own designs. I think I've made at least 50 fleece and felt toys for my kids by now. Saved a ton of money and it's enjoyable for me. It reminds me of making clothes for my cabbage patch kids when I was a kid.

I've been making my own rice milk. Just 1 cup of cooked rice(1/3 cup dry)to 3 cups water and blend until smooth. No need to filter anything unlike nut milks. Faster and cheaper. Costs about $.13 quart. I use it for baking instead of milk and it works great.

I've also been making my own "butter" with coconut oil, rice milk, sunflower oil and sunflower lecithin. 1 minute in the blender and chill in a silicone mini-loaf pan until firm. Easy and $2.20lb.

Recently, I even tried making vegan cheese from soaked cashews. It was pretty good!

I'm really hoping to get a grain mill this year and start grinding my own organic flour. I'm still buying conventional because of the cost of organic flour, but the organic berries are similar in price to the cost of milled conventional flour. It's just the expense of getting the mill and appropriate storage containers for bulk buying. My Vitamix is supposed to be able to handle grains but I don't know. Still a $100 investment for the special grain canister if I want to try that.

And this week, the kids and I are excited to be making homemade peanut butter Cap'n Crunch cereal. Homemade Peanut Butter Crunch Breakfast Cereal Puffs | Gringalicious I only buy it for camping weekends and would rather never have to buy it again. Yucky GMO's, corn syrup and chemical nastiness, Blech!~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    Rai, It was last years, and no they didn't put out one leaf, I am really praying they are resting and will come back this spring. well at least the peach and pear. We cut out alot of cherry trees, they needed to be thinned out anyway.

Fruit cocktail is easy, excapt getting all the fruit at the same time and not having to pay a fortune for one or the other, I had to buy it all last year, but still got some good prices, and put up alot of quarts.

I try to put up what I need in a year, but sometimes I dont even come close, or am way over on other ones! I don't know you are going to have a little one under foot, and then a 2 yr old, so, you are really going to be busy!!!
    Pinetree, we had a blueberry do that. One spring, DH's aunt was helping me weed and pulled the entire top off the little blueberry bush. It didn't grow a bit all summer, it was just a dry twig about 1/2" tall. Then the next spring, it put out a couple of leaves. This year, it grew several inches. Maybe your trees will come back. I sure hope so.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

nuisance, my MIL had a Vitamix and I was not impressed with the flour it ground. If you can find someone who has one and see it first, I would do that. You might like it though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by brenda67 View Post
    So today I have made up for the past couple days of not making anything homemade.

Today I made homemade dishwasher cubes & homemade fabric softener add that to the homemade laundry detergent and I can check that off my list.

I can already see that I will be saving lots of money and really see no reason to *waste * my dh's hard earned money when I can make all of it for pennies!
    How do you make the dishwasher cubes? I bought some once on a drastic clearance & liked them, but don't like paying the high price.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Winkie~ to answer your question I found the recipe on the internet...but, it literally sucks! It left a terrible unwashable film all over my dishes and didn't clean my dishes at all.'

I'm going to try Linda's Pantry recipe on youtube to see if it's any better..If this doesn't do a good job I will be going back to buying my trusted brand Cascade.
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

WTG~Constance.

I've not been feeling very well lately so I've not been doing much of anything until today.

I made

Homemade English Muffin Bread.

Homemade Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream.

Homemade Pizza with homemade dough.
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    Made homemade onion soup mixes
    Please share your recipe for the onion soup mix!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This is the copy cat recipe I use for homemade onion soup mix if interested.

Onion Soup Mix Recipe - Allrecipes.com
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I made homemade cream of mushroom soup..Yum..
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Brenda's recipe is close, I can't use salt or the bouillon, it has too much salt, All my recipies are no or low salt.
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I made homemade peanut butter cup ice cream...delicious

A couple loafs of Amish Bread.

English Muffin Bread.

Mac n Cheese.

Pizza dough that I used to make buffalo chicken pizza.

Home canned/Homegrown Peach Pie filling baked in a homemade pie crust.

I'm hoping to start sewing some projects...can't wait to share with you all once I finish it.
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I made microwave muffin bread and a dill-caraway bread in the bread machine. The dill-caraway was good but there was no dill flavor, so next time I'll skip it and double the caraway. Still looking for a good pumpernickel recipe.

I made a new trellis that attaches to the back of my AeroGarden cabinet, since the factory trellises are worthless. I used two scrap 1x2s and repurposed a wrought iron plate rack. I like how it turned out! I think it'll work out well, but of course I won't be able to test the theory until I have some mature tomato and pepper plants. Now I need to get those planted.

I started two other AGs a few days ago and the basil and dill are growing like crazy and the cilantro looks like it might actually take off, too. I'm in desperate need of cilantro so I sure hope so. I hate not having it to use and I'm not willing to pay the price in the grocery store for fresh cilantro. I much prefer to have my own crops of fresh herbs.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast