2016 Homemade Anything Challenge. - Page 5
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Oh they're shipping DH's work division to Massachusetts. The plant manager here has already indicated that he wants him to stay here. Different product but same line of manufacturing. The plant manager in MA wants him too, but they're still negotiating on terms DH would consider. They're not even close to our figure/demands yet. But if DH gets the figure he's asking for, we'll be moving this summer. I think it's unlikely though. But it's possible, so it makes decision making this year a bit sketchy. :/ ~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nuisance, I hope things turn out like you hope they will!

Is there a recipe for the cauliflower rice? Do you cook it then rice it or do it raw, then cook it?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~I rice my cauliflower raw in my Vitamix. Pull into florets and wash, then put enough water in the blender to float the florets off of the blade. Cover, then pulse on high 3 or 4 times. Drain and freeze in portions. You can pan fry, nuke, or steam the rice from frozen. You can also thaw, drain well, and use with grated cheese and herbs as a pizza crust replacement(prebake the patty first). Lots of ideas online for the rice. I'm only just scratching the surface. ~

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just grated mine in the food processer. I have made pizza crust with cauilflower and it was terriffic!

Nuisance, well isn't that close to where you moved from? All I cen remember is it was from back east. Nothing like moving across country every couple years, lol, I hope you get to move or stay where you want. It's got to be kinda hard not knowing..seems like you have only been here for a couple months! hugs..
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I made homemade cheesecake and sandwich bread.
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks so much! I bought a cauliflower yesterday and want to try this asap.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the info on the pizza dough, sadly I don't have a bread machine and because it is so time consuming doing it by hand I gave that up. If I really want to make home made pizza I or start with the simpler mix or even with fresh pizza dough. The price difference is simply not worth the effort imh. And sorry for the very slow reply, I have been staying with a friend with limited internet access.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~We moved from rural South Jersey. Different situation then. DH's plant was moving overseas. But another company bought his division to manufacture here in CO. They gave him a raise, paid for the move, and we moved to a lower-cost-of-living location. That and with the severance bonus, it was a great financial move. The Boston area COL is much higher than here. And the plant manager here has already promised that DH still has a job here.

I'd rather stay of course. All the big stressful work of a new place is done: education requirements, new health care providers, a house, best shopping places, all my volunteer groups, house of worship, etc. Doing that again will make the next two years very stressful. The big advantages to moving would be: only a six hour drive to see our parents, I could have an amazing garden again, adventure and new areas to explore, the potential to buy or build the colonial I've always wanted, and more money which is always a big plus.

I don't think it's going to happen though. I'll be shocked if they actually agree to what he's asking for, although I think he's worth every penny of that to them.

We'll see what happens though. Should have some kind of decision by the end of March.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

oh yea, now I remember, I knew it was back east, but New Jersey wasn't what I was thinking.

My Brother moved to the west side of Mass. and loves it, says the prices are alot lower than here. He bought a house for almost nothing. But hes really good at fixing them up.

I hope you get what you want, its kinda bad you get all settled and then move, But if its where you are suppose to be.. then things will work out. I know you would love being closer to your parents!

Why can't you have a garden here? I always plant a huge garden, my sister is around monument and has a garden and shes kinda in the hills, she just has a shorter growing time.
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

onion powder, ground enough for a pint.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Doesn't hail wipe out your garden? We get at least 5 big hail showers every summer.

Used my homemade vegan condensed milk to make vegan vanilla "ice cream". Fabulous!

Made vegan Oreo pancakes for breakfast. Great reviews from the kids.

My rejuvalac is all sour and bubbly as it should be. Soaking some cashews now to make a batch of vegan cheddar.

Also upcoming this week: Welsh pasties with rough-puff pastry, vegan "fish" sticks made from hearts of palm, and vegan pulled "pork" from jackfruit.

Next weekend is supposed to get pretty warm so I'm planning on a sewing day in the basement. I want to sew the spare covers for the couch cushions and the dog's crate cover.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We made homemade raviolli, it was kind of a pain at first , but then got the hang of the mold and pasta roller, and we were cranking them out, will make them again.

We get hail all the time, some years worse then others, but over the years we have gotten plastic pots like you get from the garden center with trees etc, when we know hails coming we run out and cover, big tomato plants get rubber maid trash cans, or brocolli and plants grouped together we have stakes in the ground, hails coming we pull the tarp and tie up and above the plants, it only takes a couple minutes. Has saved me big time! You can buy frost or shade cloth pretty cheap, it works good too, if you keep it alittle above the plants. Shade cloth can work good over plants that dont need all the sun and you just leave it on them, we also use walls of water or what I do now is wrap a tomato cage in clear plastic, leave a bunch at the top, open when warm, close up with hail or cold. I put it on as soon as they are planted, it keeps them protected for along time, from frost and hail, take it off when the tomatoes get to big for it. It also acts like a little green house.
    Some people use coffee cans, milk jugs, cardboard boxes, of course the baseball size hail, well sometimes nothing will work. Good Luck!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Made homemade chocolate mousse.

Refilled using my copycat recipe for Dawn Foam dish soap.

Used my homemade laundry soap and homemade fabric softener.
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Made a couple loaves of homemade bread.
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I made croutons from homemade bread. First time for the croutons for me. Big accomplishment, eh? Hahaha! But I'll be doing it again. The price of croutons in the store is crazy.

I've recently completed 66 liners for a charity called Days for Girls, which supplies reusable sanitary supplies for girls in need of same. Days for Girls International | Sustainable Feminine Hygiene. I also made 24 shields which are what holds the liners in place. I have 38 more cut out, and I'm just waiting on the arrival of a couple yards of PUL I ordered which makes the shields waterproof, so I can't start sewing the shields till that arrives. I'm really enjoying making these supplies for the charity. I just wish I knew someone else to sew with.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast