2016 Homemade Anything Challenge. - Page 6
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

made tamales and used the electric pressure cooker to steam them, will try these again.
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    I made croutons from homemade bread. First time for the croutons for me. Big accomplishment, eh? Hahaha! But I'll be doing it again. The price of croutons in the store is crazy.

I've recently completed 66 liners for a charity called Days for Girls, which supplies reusable sanitary supplies for girls in need of same. Days for Girls International | Sustainable Feminine Hygiene. I also made 24 shields which are what holds the liners in place. I have 38 more cut out, and I'm just waiting on the arrival of a couple yards of PUL I ordered which makes the shields waterproof, so I can't start sewing the shields till that arrives. I'm really enjoying making these supplies for the charity. I just wish I knew someone else to sew with.
    I bought all the material to make my own homemade feminine pads w/wings...once I make them I will never buy pads again.

If I could get away with it I wouldn't buy anymore paper products including toilet paper but, no way in heck will my family go for that lol.
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~I volunteer with that charity too Deer. They hold it at the LDS church every other month and it is fun working with a group on something. Personally, I love my reusable cloth. Going on 14 years with them now. Saved a ton of money and much more comfortable. Is it weird that I'm excited to start making stashes of them for my girls? ~

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Feel bad this thread hasn't been updated by me..I have made so many recipes over the past month.

Fast forward for tonights dinner I made homemade egg noodles (has anyone seen the price of these? AND they are only 12oz) to go with my home canned beef in a wine sauce...dessert will be homemade peach pie using my (home grown) canned peach pie filing.

I have homemade Italian seasoned sub rolls with some of the herbs that I grew and dehydrated in the oven right now for tomorrow nights supper (I will be taking my mil shopping tomorrow) and a pepperoni in sauce freezer meal so we will have pepperoni grinders.
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nuisance26 View Post
    ~I volunteer with that charity too Deer. They hold it at the LDS church every other month and it is fun working with a group on something. Personally, I love my reusable cloth. Going on 14 years with them now. Saved a ton of money and much more comfortable. Is it weird that I'm excited to start making stashes of them for my girls? ~
    I'm happy to read that you have been using the homemade ones is that weird? lol..

I would feel the same if I had girls.
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Finally made the ricotta cheese, it was really good and easy, next time using the crockpot.
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Nice Pinetree..

I made homemade egg noodles, fettuccini noodles and a pound cake..slurp..
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    onion powder, ground enough for a pint.

I'm excited to see you made your own seasonings..

I'm heading in the same direction growing my own herbs onion & garlic powder are on my list...did you grow your own onions? what is your process if you don't mind telling me.
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi brenda67, Thanks! You will love making your own garlic and onion powder, they are nothing like what you buy! They are easy too!

I just planted my onions this morning, I used throw away bread pans, they are 3x5's I think, well I use them over and over, all my trays and pots are buries in snow right now, so these will work, I prewet the potting soil, filled up the pans, except maybe 1/2 inch, firmly pressed down the soil, scattered maybe 100 seeds, put soil on top pressed down alittle and took outside to sit in the sun. wil ltake in and out until I'm ready to plant them. I will dry them out alittle to get them out of the bread pan, and seperate the plants, one by one, then cut off about 1/2 of the greens and plant, about 1/2-1 inch below the ground, and water. thats it, I planted 100 each of red, white, and blue, lol just kidding, yellow.

I did plant a mess of red, white and yellow onion sets, but am going to try and use them as seed stock.

I'm also growing poblano peppers to dry and use. Don't forget to plant parsley, dry and use all winter, I also dry chives. I did basil one year , its easy, but we dont care for basil.

WTG on your noodles, aren't they just wonderful? I want to make a bunch again and freeze them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Awesome that you grow them from start to finish.

I can't wait to make my garlic powder from my homegrown garlic..I bought onion sets from a guy in Maine, next year I will grow from seed.

I'm growing oregano, sage, thyme, chives, rosemary, jalapeno, sweet red & habanero peppers.. I'm waiting for my order of paprika and cumin seeds..I will be growing parsley ( I did dehydrate a full quart last year),basil cilantro soon from seed..this is a new level for me to grow as much herbs for my homemade spices.

The noodles are so good! I will be spending some time soon making them in bulk and preserving them.
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh thank you so much! I never thought of cumin and paprika! I will have to give them a try!

The reason I started the onions from seed is I keep hearing the onion sets are 2 yr old plants, they won't grow very big and will go to seed right away, so I have both , if it seeds I'll have seeds for next yr. If they grow I will have a bunch of onions I can dehydrate and powder.

We grow anaheims, banana, red, green and yellow bell peppers, and my favorite, marconi. Plus all the other things, tomatoes, carrots, beans, etc.
    Sounds like you have alot planned too. You will have to post how its going! Good Luck!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I had to google the paprika and cumin seeds as my stores don't sell the seeds.

I have many plans this year..I feel so inspired to be growing and making my own foods from scratch plus non food.

I made my first batch of flour tortilla and next will be corn tortillas'..
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is kinda funny, I just bought a tortilla press, I haven't tried it yet. I'm looking into doing or trying a different flour, I think I need to get away from the white. How did you press them?
    We made tamales last month, they were super good, am going to make a bunch more, and freeze a bunch too.

We just heard on Rachel Ray, she uses green chili powder, never heard of it, but think I am making some of it too!
    I'm going to have to see if I can find the paprika and cumin seeds too. We did learn that we can smoke the peppers to have smoked paprika, my DS has a big smoker, so I can't wait on that one. That stuff is expensive!

This is getting kinda exciting!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I was thinking about investing in the tortilla press myself..

I did it old school and rolled out 24-tortilla's..it was exhausting for me only because my oven is on high heat making my kitchen feel like a sauna..lol..

I intend on making corn tortilla's next and make my own chips from them to serve with my home canned hot salsa.

Oh yes, forgot to mention that we will be smoking our paprika also..

I ordered my seeds from rareseed.com and mypatriotsupply.com

I also ordered the cayenne seeds from mypatriotsupply online store.

I just googled on how to make my own crushed pepper...if all goes planned I will be looking at buying very little spices and seasonings at the grocery..

I'm getting more and more excited over this new adventure...I also plan to save seed's so I won't have to buy them anymore.
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh wow, thats alot of rolling! I'll let you know how this press works, if I ever use the darned thing!

We have Lake Valley Seeds, here in state, our nursery sells their seeds so we can pretty much get everything we need from them. Its all organic, heirloom, so we love it.

I try to save as many seeds as I can too. Yes, this spice thing is getting to be exciting, I use to be all wound up about canning and putting up as much as I can. This just adds more different things to the mixture.

My biggest problem this year is losing my fruit trees, form that polar cold we had 2 yrs ago, I have Lost Alot of trees, more than 3/4 of my cherry trees, 3/4 or more of plum, all of my peach, my huge apple tree looks bad now, she might be gone also. We think the pear trees might have made it. Now the nurseries are having trouble getting trees in because they lost a bunch too. Its so sad, my one peach trees was over 35 yrs. old, the lady we bought the house from started it from a seed! It had the best peaches ..

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast