2016 Homemade Anything Challenge. - Page 7
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 127
  1. #91
    Registered User brenda67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    paradise
    Age
    52
    Posts
    3,476
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Please let me know how the press works out for you if you think it's worth it I will buy one.

    Your fortunate to have access to all the seeds you are looking for...all my seeds are heirloom except for a few herbs.

    I can relate to canning and putting up your own food..I love water bath, pressure canning and dehydrating my own foods.

    I'm waiting for the shitaki mushroom plugs/spores to come so we can inoculate our own logs for own supply of mushrooms that should produce for years.

    I going to make my own worm compost too, my worm factory will arrive sometime today. I'm super excited about this also..between my chickens and the worms I will be reducing my garbage waste by at least 50% the worms feed on everything except meat, dairy and citrus that goes to feed my chickens which in return gives me delicious eggs..

    HUGS..I'm sad to read that you lost your fruit trees I would be heartbroken as my fruit orchard means a lot to me.
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

  2. #92
    Registered User Spirit Deer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Boundary Waters, Minnesota
    Posts
    17,890
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    84

    Default

    Brenda, you can make a tortilla press from lumber for next to nothing if you have scrap wood. I found that out after I bought my cast iron one. It didn't look too hard. Google for instructions, they're all over. There's probably a how-to or sixty on Pinterest, too. I saw a wood press at GW a year or so ago and seeing it in person allowed me to see it really should be an easy and fairly quick project.

    Press tortillas between sheets of wax paper, never directly on the press. I like to use the waxy bags that come inside cereal boxes, and I use them a lot before throwing them away. Don't use a press without something between the dough and the press. You'd never get it scraped off. You're not really supposed to wash the presses, I don't think. Roll the dough into balls before you start cooking and have a towel folded over so you can stack the tortillas in between the folds so they can steam and not dry out. Make sure everything is ready before you start to cook them because they cook FAST. Don't grease the pan, either. Cast iron works best IMO. I have a vintage Griswold griddle I use.

    My press makes tortillas thinner on the handle side than on the hinge side. I'm guessing most of them do. I solved that by turning the tortilla and wax paper a quarter turn three or four times and pressing between turns. That evens them out quite a bit. If they're still too thick, you can roll them between the wax paper with a rolling pin. IMO a press would be worth the money because it would still save a ton of work and time over rolling them out from the ball stage.

    You can make tortillas with many kinds of flour. The internet is full of recipes, although I'm still looking for one I really like. I haven't pursued it much lately though. Also, there are tons of YouTubes about making tortillas.

    Tortillas made from corn flour (masa harina) will not be the same as corn tortillas from the store. I haven't found a recipe for making the store kind. I can't really tell much difference between tortillas made from masa and regular flour so I don't buy masa anymore.

    I'm no expert but that's just some things I've picked up. I have to admit I still like store tortillas better because they're softer and thinner and don't crack. I'm the first to say maybe I'm missing something or don't know what I'm doing though, so if you two find the secret, please clue me in.

  3. #93
    Registered User Spirit Deer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Boundary Waters, Minnesota
    Posts
    17,890
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    84

    Default

    I found this how-to about making a press with just a quick search. Without reading it in too much detail, it seems like a pretty good tutorial. If it doesn't seem like the right one for you, there are lots of others.
    https://littlehousecollective.wordpr...ortilla-press/

  4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #94
    Registered User brenda67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    paradise
    Age
    52
    Posts
    3,476
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    Brenda, you can make a tortilla press from lumber for next to nothing if you have scrap wood. I found that out after I bought my cast iron one. It didn't look too hard. Google for instructions, they're all over. There's probably a how-to or sixty on Pinterest, too. I saw a wood press at GW a year or so ago and seeing it in person allowed me to see it really should be an easy and fairly quick project.

    Press tortillas between sheets of wax paper, never directly on the press. I like to use the waxy bags that come inside cereal boxes, and I use them a lot before throwing them away. Don't use a press without something between the dough and the press. You'd never get it scraped off. You're not really supposed to wash the presses, I don't think. Roll the dough into balls before you start cooking and have a towel folded over so you can stack the tortillas in between the folds so they can steam and not dry out. Make sure everything is ready before you start to cook them because they cook FAST. Don't grease the pan, either. Cast iron works best IMO. I have a vintage Griswold griddle I use.

    My press makes tortillas thinner on the handle side than on the hinge side. I'm guessing most of them do. I solved that by turning the tortilla and wax paper a quarter turn three or four times and pressing between turns. That evens them out quite a bit. If they're still too thick, you can roll them between the wax paper with a rolling pin. IMO a press would be worth the money because it would still save a ton of work and time over rolling them out from the ball stage.

    You can make tortillas with many kinds of flour. The internet is full of recipes, although I'm still looking for one I really like. I haven't pursued it much lately though. Also, there are tons of YouTubes about making tortillas.

    Tortillas made from corn flour (masa harina) will not be the same as corn tortillas from the store. I haven't found a recipe for making the store kind. I can't really tell much difference between tortillas made from masa and regular flour so I don't buy masa anymore.

    I'm no expert but that's just some things I've picked up. I have to admit I still like store tortillas better because they're softer and thinner and don't crack. I'm the first to say maybe I'm missing something or don't know what I'm doing though, so if you two find the secret, please clue me in.

    Yes I have the masa harina
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

  6. #95
    Registered User brenda67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    paradise
    Age
    52
    Posts
    3,476
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    SD~ thanks for the info on making your own press.
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

  7. #96
    Moderator nuisance26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    8,714
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    55

    Default

    ~Wanted to chime in the press(awesome homemade one there Deer, BTW), I owned one 8 years ago or so. It was cast iron and I hated the stupid thing. I tried about 20 times with different recipes, always lining the press with waxed paper, or cut open zip locks, or plastic wrap, even using non-stick spray with liners, nothing worked. It seemed to press just fine but transferring the rounds to the pan was a nightmare. I was using masa harina, not white flour. White flour tortillas I roll. Although with those, I learned to use hot water in the dough and let the dough sit for several hours before rolling. Much easier and a much better end product. Maybe corn flour dough works the same way even if the recipes didn't say so. I sold my press before we moved here.

    It's that time of year again! Nice to see some garden chatter. I'm building some waist high planter boxes this year. I bought my organic heirloom seeds(just roma, basil, chamomile, and zucchini)at Whole Foods. They were surprisingly affordable. I should have bought the butterfly wildflower garden mix too. I have enough planter boxes and I love fresh flowers and supporting honeybees, but my cheapskate side kicked in and couldn't justify $2 and special soil mix and a $50 planter box for something that was non-food. Kinda regretting that now. Anyway, we'll see how they do. At least the bunnies can't get at them. I'll need to start my seeds indoors this week or next for transplanting the last week of May. I'll be taking pictures of my oh-so-amateur building to share here. Should be a few weeks to get everything built though.

    Still making food food food around here. Today I tried whipping frozen juice from a can of chickpeas with sugar and extract to make vegan meringue. It does taste a lot like marshmallow fluff when "raw" and it can be used that way, or like whipped cream with fruit. Or baked. The meringues are in the oven now, low, for 6 hours total. They sure smell good.

    And out of all the vegan cheeses I've made, the only one I would call a keeper is the mozzarella. It has a stinkiness I like, and a satisfying salty/creaminess on pizza. Although it does not melt or brown like real cheese like the recipe claimed.~

  8. #97
    Registered User pinetree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    7,468
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    46

    Default

    Howdy Neighbor! How have you been? Going to try a garden again! WYG! we don't have a whole foods around us, but do have a few nurserys that carry good seeds!
    Good Luck with your garden! Save milk jugs etc for awhile to cover your plants.

    Thanks for the info on the press, maybe it will work, maybe not, but will try the hot water. I found a recipe where you let it sit for 8-24 hrs. am trying it. I really need to stay away from the white flour tho. For sure am making the corn flour ones.

    I might try the mozzarella too!

    Can't wait to see your pictures!
    Have you found out if you are staying here yet? Take Care.
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

  9. #98
    Registered User pinetree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    7,468
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    46

    Default

    double post
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

  10. #99
    Registered User KathyB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,350
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    I am curious where you get your vegan recipes from. I am not a vegan, but I am lactose intolerant, so I am interested in non-dairy substitutes for things. For regular milk, I just use soymilk or sometimes coconut milk. It is things like sour cream, yogurt, cream cheese and cheese I am interested in. I have found commercial sour cream, yogurt and cream cheese substitutes, but they are pricey. I have not found a vegan cheese that is really worth eating.

    I also wanted to weigh in on making chapstick. I make a homemade lip balm. Like one mentioned earlier, it is a mix of coconut oil and wax. The difference is that mine is mostly coconut oil. It is much softer than chap stick. Instead of tube, I use a small tin. It is soft, very moisturizing and has a nice feel to it. Coconut oil is very temperature sensitive. Adding wax makes it a little bit more solid. The lip balm starts to get melty on the high 70s. In a normal room temperature, it is around the constancy of chocolate, but will melt on your lips. In a hot room, it starts get a little more like a mayo consistency. Because of this, I do not carry it around in my pack during the summer. I have one I keep at home at one I keep at work. (I sometimes freeze the work one to keep it solid for the commute.)

    I use a microwave to make it, and it takes less than five minutes to make a batch. Microwave wax for about 90-120 seconds in a glass container. Do not use plastic. Add the coconut oil and microwave for around 20 more seconds. Stir and pour into container. Let cool before using! I have flavoring I add too. A little more expensive, but a tiny jar of flavoring lasts a really long time.
    KathyB

  11. #100
    TDN
    TDN is offline
    Registered User TDN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,087
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    I bought a tortilla press a few years ago thinking it was for flour tortillas but then found out it was for corn tortillas. It is basically useless for flour tortillas. My nieces have enjoyed making corn tortillas a few times. They are different from store bought ( hard to get very big too) but they are good,

  12. #101
    Registered User brenda67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    paradise
    Age
    52
    Posts
    3,476
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KathyB View Post
    I am curious where you get your vegan recipes from. I am not a vegan, but I am lactose intolerant, so I am interested in non-dairy substitutes for things. For regular milk, I just use soymilk or sometimes coconut milk. It is things like sour cream, yogurt, cream cheese and cheese I am interested in. I have found commercial sour cream, yogurt and cream cheese substitutes, but they are pricey. I have not found a vegan cheese that is really worth eating.

    I also wanted to weigh in on making chapstick. I make a homemade lip balm. Like one mentioned earlier, it is a mix of coconut oil and wax. The difference is that mine is mostly coconut oil. It is much softer than chap stick. Instead of tube, I use a small tin. It is soft, very moisturizing and has a nice feel to it. Coconut oil is very temperature sensitive. Adding wax makes it a little bit more solid. The lip balm starts to get melty on the high 70s. In a normal room temperature, it is around the constancy of chocolate, but will melt on your lips. In a hot room, it starts get a little more like a mayo consistency. Because of this, I do not carry it around in my pack during the summer. I have one I keep at home at one I keep at work. (I sometimes freeze the work one to keep it solid for the commute.)

    I use a microwave to make it, and it takes less than five minutes to make a batch. Microwave wax for about 90-120 seconds in a glass container. Do not use plastic. Add the coconut oil and microwave for around 20 more seconds. Stir and pour into container. Let cool before using! I have flavoring I add too. A little more expensive, but a tiny jar of flavoring lasts a really long time.

    Weird that you mention making your own chap stick ~BTW.. I received my kit yesterday along with other ingredients to make my own body butters and homemade chocolate's.

    I have been so excited over all this stuff I've been having trouble sleeping at night..lol..
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

  13. #102
    Registered User brenda67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    paradise
    Age
    52
    Posts
    3,476
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    Howdy Neighbor! How have you been? Going to try a garden again! WYG! we don't have a whole foods around us, but do have a few nurserys that carry good seeds!
    Good Luck with your garden! Save milk jugs etc for awhile to cover your plants.

    Thanks for the info on the press, maybe it will work, maybe not, but will try the hot water. I found a recipe where you let it sit for 8-24 hrs. am trying it. I really need to stay away from the white flour tho. For sure am making the corn flour ones.

    I might try the mozzarella too!

    Can't wait to see your pictures!
    Have you found out if you are staying here yet? Take Care.
    My son made mozzarella about 4/5 years ago now and it came out fabulous.. this will be another skill that is on my list to learn.
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

  14. #103
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    SW VA
    Posts
    1,109
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    You can buy a flour tortilla press. It's electric and it gently heats the dough ball, (which traditionally contains lard but Crisco can be subbed) and flattens it out. They work great. My friend has one but I don't.

  15. #104
    Registered User Spirit Deer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Boundary Waters, Minnesota
    Posts
    17,890
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    84

    Default

    What's the difference between presses for corn tortillas or flour tortillas? I tried to look it up online but didn't get anywhere.

  16. #105
    TDN
    TDN is offline
    Registered User TDN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,087
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    I never knew they made anything like an electric flour tortilla press! I am going to look into it.

    Spirit deer......mine is for corn tortillas and just doesn't flatten the flour tortilla dough out much at all.......I imagine the electric one must have a lot more pressure.

    My nieces and I made lip balm for Christmas gifts a few years ago. We tried like 7 or 8 different recipes. I have 2 that are my favorite and are quite simple and few ingredients.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 2016 To Do Challenge
    By NikoSan999 in forum Home and family challenges
    Replies: 5253
    Last Post: 12-31-2016, 06:19 PM
  2. 2016 No Spend Challenge
    By NikoSan999 in forum Money challenges
    Replies: 325
    Last Post: 12-31-2016, 03:06 PM
  3. 2016 Use It Up Challenge
    By NikoSan999 in forum Leisure challenges
    Replies: 1665
    Last Post: 12-31-2016, 09:55 AM
  4. 2016 20 Wishes Challenge
    By NikoSan999 in forum Goals and Dreams
    Replies: 129
    Last Post: 08-11-2016, 06:58 PM
  5. 2016 Self Image Challenge
    By NikoSan999 in forum Health challenges
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-11-2016, 06:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •