2016 Homemade Anything Challenge. - Page 7
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Please let me know how the press works out for you if you think it's worth it I will buy one.

Your fortunate to have access to all the seeds you are looking for...all my seeds are heirloom except for a few herbs.

I can relate to canning and putting up your own food..I love water bath, pressure canning and dehydrating my own foods.

I'm waiting for the shitaki mushroom plugs/spores to come so we can inoculate our own logs for own supply of mushrooms that should produce for years.

I going to make my own worm compost too, my worm factory will arrive sometime today. I'm super excited about this also..between my chickens and the worms I will be reducing my garbage waste by at least 50% the worms feed on everything except meat, dairy and citrus that goes to feed my chickens which in return gives me delicious eggs..

HUGS..I'm sad to read that you lost your fruit trees I would be heartbroken as my fruit orchard means a lot to me.
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Brenda, you can make a tortilla press from lumber for next to nothing if you have scrap wood. I found that out after I bought my cast iron one. It didn't look too hard. Google for instructions, they're all over. There's probably a how-to or sixty on Pinterest, too. I saw a wood press at GW a year or so ago and seeing it in person allowed me to see it really should be an easy and fairly quick project.

Press tortillas between sheets of wax paper, never directly on the press. I like to use the waxy bags that come inside cereal boxes, and I use them a lot before throwing them away. Don't use a press without something between the dough and the press. You'd never get it scraped off. You're not really supposed to wash the presses, I don't think. Roll the dough into balls before you start cooking and have a towel folded over so you can stack the tortillas in between the folds so they can steam and not dry out. Make sure everything is ready before you start to cook them because they cook FAST. Don't grease the pan, either. Cast iron works best IMO. I have a vintage Griswold griddle I use.

My press makes tortillas thinner on the handle side than on the hinge side. I'm guessing most of them do. I solved that by turning the tortilla and wax paper a quarter turn three or four times and pressing between turns. That evens them out quite a bit. If they're still too thick, you can roll them between the wax paper with a rolling pin. IMO a press would be worth the money because it would still save a ton of work and time over rolling them out from the ball stage.

You can make tortillas with many kinds of flour. The internet is full of recipes, although I'm still looking for one I really like. I haven't pursued it much lately though. Also, there are tons of YouTubes about making tortillas.

Tortillas made from corn flour (masa harina) will not be the same as corn tortillas from the store. I haven't found a recipe for making the store kind. I can't really tell much difference between tortillas made from masa and regular flour so I don't buy masa anymore.

I'm no expert but that's just some things I've picked up. I have to admit I still like store tortillas better because they're softer and thinner and don't crack. I'm the first to say maybe I'm missing something or don't know what I'm doing though, so if you two find the secret, please clue me in.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I found this how-to about making a press with just a quick search. Without reading it in too much detail, it seems like a pretty good tutorial. If it doesn't seem like the right one for you, there are lots of others.
    https://littlehousecollective.wordpr...ortilla-press/

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    Brenda, you can make a tortilla press from lumber for next to nothing if you have scrap wood. I found that out after I bought my cast iron one. It didn't look too hard. Google for instructions, they're all over. There's probably a how-to or sixty on Pinterest, too. I saw a wood press at GW a year or so ago and seeing it in person allowed me to see it really should be an easy and fairly quick project.

Press tortillas between sheets of wax paper, never directly on the press. I like to use the waxy bags that come inside cereal boxes, and I use them a lot before throwing them away. Don't use a press without something between the dough and the press. You'd never get it scraped off. You're not really supposed to wash the presses, I don't think. Roll the dough into balls before you start cooking and have a towel folded over so you can stack the tortillas in between the folds so they can steam and not dry out. Make sure everything is ready before you start to cook them because they cook FAST. Don't grease the pan, either. Cast iron works best IMO. I have a vintage Griswold griddle I use.

My press makes tortillas thinner on the handle side than on the hinge side. I'm guessing most of them do. I solved that by turning the tortilla and wax paper a quarter turn three or four times and pressing between turns. That evens them out quite a bit. If they're still too thick, you can roll them between the wax paper with a rolling pin. IMO a press would be worth the money because it would still save a ton of work and time over rolling them out from the ball stage.

You can make tortillas with many kinds of flour. The internet is full of recipes, although I'm still looking for one I really like. I haven't pursued it much lately though. Also, there are tons of YouTubes about making tortillas.

Tortillas made from corn flour (masa harina) will not be the same as corn tortillas from the store. I haven't found a recipe for making the store kind. I can't really tell much difference between tortillas made from masa and regular flour so I don't buy masa anymore.

I'm no expert but that's just some things I've picked up. I have to admit I still like store tortillas better because they're softer and thinner and don't crack. I'm the first to say maybe I'm missing something or don't know what I'm doing though, so if you two find the secret, please clue me in.

Yes I have the masa harina
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD~ thanks for the info on making your own press.
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Wanted to chime in the press(awesome homemade one there Deer, BTW), I owned one 8 years ago or so. It was cast iron and I hated the stupid thing. I tried about 20 times with different recipes, always lining the press with waxed paper, or cut open zip locks, or plastic wrap, even using non-stick spray with liners, nothing worked. It seemed to press just fine but transferring the rounds to the pan was a nightmare. I was using masa harina, not white flour. White flour tortillas I roll. Although with those, I learned to use hot water in the dough and let the dough sit for several hours before rolling. Much easier and a much better end product. Maybe corn flour dough works the same way even if the recipes didn't say so. I sold my press before we moved here.

It's that time of year again! Nice to see some garden chatter. I'm building some waist high planter boxes this year. I bought my organic heirloom seeds(just roma, basil, chamomile, and zucchini)at Whole Foods. They were surprisingly affordable. I should have bought the butterfly wildflower garden mix too. I have enough planter boxes and I love fresh flowers and supporting honeybees, but my cheapskate side kicked in and couldn't justify $2 and special soil mix and a $50 planter box for something that was non-food. Kinda regretting that now. Anyway, we'll see how they do. At least the bunnies can't get at them. I'll need to start my seeds indoors this week or next for transplanting the last week of May. I'll be taking pictures of my oh-so-amateur building to share here. Should be a few weeks to get everything built though.

Still making food food food around here. Today I tried whipping frozen juice from a can of chickpeas with sugar and extract to make vegan meringue. It does taste a lot like marshmallow fluff when "raw" and it can be used that way, or like whipped cream with fruit. Or baked. The meringues are in the oven now, low, for 6 hours total. They sure smell good.

And out of all the vegan cheeses I've made, the only one I would call a keeper is the mozzarella. It has a stinkiness I like, and a satisfying salty/creaminess on pizza. Although it does not melt or brown like real cheese like the recipe claimed.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Howdy Neighbor! How have you been? Going to try a garden again! WYG! we don't have a whole foods around us, but do have a few nurserys that carry good seeds!
    Good Luck with your garden! Save milk jugs etc for awhile to cover your plants.

Thanks for the info on the press, maybe it will work, maybe not, but will try the hot water. I found a recipe where you let it sit for 8-24 hrs. am trying it. I really need to stay away from the white flour tho. For sure am making the corn flour ones.

I might try the mozzarella too!

Can't wait to see your pictures!
    Have you found out if you are staying here yet? Take Care.
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

double post
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am curious where you get your vegan recipes from. I am not a vegan, but I am lactose intolerant, so I am interested in non-dairy substitutes for things. For regular milk, I just use soymilk or sometimes coconut milk. It is things like sour cream, yogurt, cream cheese and cheese I am interested in. I have found commercial sour cream, yogurt and cream cheese substitutes, but they are pricey. I have not found a vegan cheese that is really worth eating.

I also wanted to weigh in on making chapstick. I make a homemade lip balm. Like one mentioned earlier, it is a mix of coconut oil and wax. The difference is that mine is mostly coconut oil. It is much softer than chap stick. Instead of tube, I use a small tin. It is soft, very moisturizing and has a nice feel to it. Coconut oil is very temperature sensitive. Adding wax makes it a little bit more solid. The lip balm starts to get melty on the high 70s. In a normal room temperature, it is around the constancy of chocolate, but will melt on your lips. In a hot room, it starts get a little more like a mayo consistency. Because of this, I do not carry it around in my pack during the summer. I have one I keep at home at one I keep at work. (I sometimes freeze the work one to keep it solid for the commute.)

I use a microwave to make it, and it takes less than five minutes to make a batch. Microwave wax for about 90-120 seconds in a glass container. Do not use plastic. Add the coconut oil and microwave for around 20 more seconds. Stir and pour into container. Let cool before using! I have flavoring I add too. A little more expensive, but a tiny jar of flavoring lasts a really long time.
    KathyB

TDN
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I bought a tortilla press a few years ago thinking it was for flour tortillas but then found out it was for corn tortillas. It is basically useless for flour tortillas. My nieces have enjoyed making corn tortillas a few times. They are different from store bought ( hard to get very big too) but they are good,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KathyB View Post
    I am curious where you get your vegan recipes from. I am not a vegan, but I am lactose intolerant, so I am interested in non-dairy substitutes for things. For regular milk, I just use soymilk or sometimes coconut milk. It is things like sour cream, yogurt, cream cheese and cheese I am interested in. I have found commercial sour cream, yogurt and cream cheese substitutes, but they are pricey. I have not found a vegan cheese that is really worth eating.

I also wanted to weigh in on making chapstick. I make a homemade lip balm. Like one mentioned earlier, it is a mix of coconut oil and wax. The difference is that mine is mostly coconut oil. It is much softer than chap stick. Instead of tube, I use a small tin. It is soft, very moisturizing and has a nice feel to it. Coconut oil is very temperature sensitive. Adding wax makes it a little bit more solid. The lip balm starts to get melty on the high 70s. In a normal room temperature, it is around the constancy of chocolate, but will melt on your lips. In a hot room, it starts get a little more like a mayo consistency. Because of this, I do not carry it around in my pack during the summer. I have one I keep at home at one I keep at work. (I sometimes freeze the work one to keep it solid for the commute.)

I use a microwave to make it, and it takes less than five minutes to make a batch. Microwave wax for about 90-120 seconds in a glass container. Do not use plastic. Add the coconut oil and microwave for around 20 more seconds. Stir and pour into container. Let cool before using! I have flavoring I add too. A little more expensive, but a tiny jar of flavoring lasts a really long time.

Weird that you mention making your own chap stick ~BTW.. I received my kit yesterday along with other ingredients to make my own body butters and homemade chocolate's.

I have been so excited over all this stuff I've been having trouble sleeping at night..lol..
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    Howdy Neighbor! How have you been? Going to try a garden again! WYG! we don't have a whole foods around us, but do have a few nurserys that carry good seeds!
    Good Luck with your garden! Save milk jugs etc for awhile to cover your plants.

Thanks for the info on the press, maybe it will work, maybe not, but will try the hot water. I found a recipe where you let it sit for 8-24 hrs. am trying it. I really need to stay away from the white flour tho. For sure am making the corn flour ones.

I might try the mozzarella too!

Can't wait to see your pictures!
    Have you found out if you are staying here yet? Take Care.
    My son made mozzarella about 4/5 years ago now and it came out fabulous.. this will be another skill that is on my list to learn.
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You can buy a flour tortilla press. It's electric and it gently heats the dough ball, (which traditionally contains lard but Crisco can be subbed) and flattens it out. They work great. My friend has one but I don't.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What's the difference between presses for corn tortillas or flour tortillas? I tried to look it up online but didn't get anywhere.

TDN
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I never knew they made anything like an electric flour tortilla press! I am going to look into it.

Spirit deer......mine is for corn tortillas and just doesn't flatten the flour tortilla dough out much at all.......I imagine the electric one must have a lot more pressure.

My nieces and I made lip balm for Christmas gifts a few years ago. We tried like 7 or 8 different recipes. I have 2 that are my favorite and are quite simple and few ingredients.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast