2016 Homemade Anything Challenge. - Page 8
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My friend had her flour tortilla press brought to her by a friend from Mexico. I've never seen one for sale but you might check in a Mexican grocery store.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~I am going to try to garden again. My container garden last year started out well from seeds I started indoors, but 3 weeks in, just as plants were blossoming, everything started to die off. I'm pretty sure it was a failure to water the plants correctly plus 3 year old seeds. I did get some green beans off of some plants, but just a handful. Learning experience, right?

I'm pretty sure at this point that we're staying, which is what I always believed would be the end result. DH thinks it's settled since they haven't been calling him to more meetings or making any more offers, but the transition for the company on the MA side is going badly and they may reconsider his terms. So it's not really settled yet which is annoying. But he's making a lateral move to his choice of 3 divisions/positions at his current workplace. Will be a couple months still on that choice. I'm proceeding as if we're staying.

My meringues did not turn out well. They just puffed up and hollowed out to sugar wafers. And really hard to get off the parchment paper too. I thought they had an odd taste, but my daughter gobbled them all up. If nothing else, I'm closer to understanding how to make sugar wafer cookies. I'd like to make those for homemade Nutty Bars. My kids love those and it's a favorite road-trip treat in our house. Hate all the yucky ingredients and fake chocolate in them though.

I get my vegan recipes from cookbooks at the library, which is hit and miss,
    (highly recommend YumUniverse and Oh She Glows), from blogs, which is also hit and miss leaning more to miss, and from changing over my regular recipes to use vegan substitutes. I'm not too picky so a failure is still usually eaten anyway. Today I Veganized my chocolate pudding recipe using my brown rice milk, arrowroot starch, organic sugar and vanilla, and my vegan coconut butter. It has a very slight fiber mouth feel as compared to the smoothness of the dairy version, but the taste is otherwise spot on. Some things didn't work at all, like cookies, by switching things out. But by using recipes for those things that others had created specifically to be Vegan, I got great results. Just lots of practice and trying new things I guess.

I made my own lip balm a couple months ago too, using the 50/50 beeswax/coconut oil blend. I personally cannot stand using my finger to apply balm so the tubs are out for me. It took about a month to really learn to like the homemade stuff. I thought it wasn't moisturizing very well, but I think it was just my skin adjusting. I don't think I'll change a thing when I make another batch, unless I have some pure plant oil already on hand(like almond or apricot).~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Finished the lumber rack from all pieces I picked out of the dumpster. The top was a piece of shelving the last owners left here. Only cost $3 in pocket hole screws. ~

2016 Homemade Anything Challenge.-1-img_3734.jpg2016 Homemade Anything Challenge.-2-img_3737.jpg

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

whoohoo! WTG Nuisance!! Looking Good!
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~I do plan to add another frame section to the length and enclose the back when I get more long 2x4's. Then I'll also replace the temporary top with some plywood. The whole thing would be about 7.3 feet long(5 now)and lumber won't stick out so much.

My vinyl lattice panels are being delivered today and DH is stopping at HD on the way home for my lattice cap and a couple each 2X4s and 2X2s(need full 8' lengths for stability so no free wood for those). Should get the cutting and staining done tonight for mounting tomorrow. Yay! ~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Don't forget to take pictures! I might copy your lattice work!
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~The deck lattice panels will be done today. It's taking a long time for the stain to dry. :/ So far it looks great!

I made a little scrap wood crate yesterday for a gift. Filled some jars with homemade caramel corn and had a nice present for under $5. ~

2016 Homemade Anything Challenge.-1-img_3746.jpg2016 Homemade Anything Challenge.-1-img_3748.jpg

TDN
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Those are my favorite type of gifts to receive nuisance! Great job!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Those are adorable!! They look really nice! What a wonderful gift.

I can't wait to see the lattice work, I'm sitting on the edge of my chair! Must be a little humid down there, for the stain not to dry.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~No, not humidity, oil-based stain. Is it ever humid here?

Here's some of the framework going up:

2016 Homemade Anything Challenge.-1-img_3747.jpg ~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LOL, Yes we do get up to 50% sometimes!! 90% when it rains! HAHA.
    Thats looking really good! That is going to be wonderful! Are you going to plant some kind of vine to grow up the outside?

I discovered a vine, well you might know about it, a moon flower, it blooms at night and the smell is amazing, they say to plant it around your windows and decks where you can smell it, I had one 2 yrs ago, it grew about 20 ft tall, the blooms were 7 inches across, and smelled wonderful. You have to plant it every year tho. I have 8 started for this year, I am planting a couple on the 6 ft fence, see what it does. DH got their seeds at walmart so you should be able to find them anywhere, just make sure you get the vining one.

2016 Homemade Anything Challenge.-0404161207.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~While I won't grow anything on the deck lattice, I am very interested in the moonflower. I have a section of fencing that is just aching for a vine. ~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Deck panels are finished! Not perfect by any means, but not too bad either.

If I could do it again I'd use the wood lattice and take the tedious time to stain it. I don't like the way the vinyl buckles a bit in the warmth of the sun. It straightens out overnight but it looks a bit odd, close up, during the day. Oh well. ~

2016 Homemade Anything Challenge.-1-img_3751.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Heads up, Target has Ball, regular mouth canning jars on sale or $5.99 a case.
    Thats the cheapest I have seen in awhile.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I finally made homemade dishwasher detergent yesterday because we only have 4 little store bought cubes left. I figured it's now or never - I haven't used it yet - I'm going to use those last four cubes first..... but I like the *idea* of my beautiful homemade dish detergent!! It also gave me an excuse to break out the label maker!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast