2016 Homemade Anything Challenge.
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default 2016 Homemade Anything Challenge.

I hope this can be stickied?
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Okay..so I decided for 2016 that I'm going to save as much money as I can by making more stuff from scratch..

My goal is to not buy anymore laundry detergent, fabric softener, hand soap, dishwashing tabs, glass cleaner..I have almost all the ingredient's except for the citric acid that is for the dishwashing tabs and the glycerin for the hand soap....I know that just this alone will save me lot's of money.

I need to stick to making homemade breads, bagels, rolls and pizza dough... I want t start freezing the dough so I have it on hand for when I need it or I will talk myself out of it just because..

I bought myself a Kitchenaid pasta 6-disc extruder attachment to make homemade pasta's..now I just need to learn how to dry and store it either by using the dehydrator, pasta drying rack or freezing it..anybody know how to do this?

I just happened to think that many years ago like 10 plus years ago I got free attachments for buying my Kitchenaid mixer but.. never paid attention to it's contents because I had no intention of using my mixer for anything but using the unit itself..( I was afraid of learning and trying new things back then) well, I found the box and I couldn't believe it had the meat grinder attachment I was going to buy one and all this time didn't know I had had one all along..just happens that my store had Chuck Roast on sale for a whopping $1.99 a lb so at that moment it clicked that I could grind my own hamburger...I bought several packages and dh and I made the most awesome looking hamburger that I foodsavered and froze...so won't need any for a long time saving us lot's of money..

I now plan to make my own sausage which I buy only the Jimmy Dean (Sage) Sausage @ $3.50 each..I don't care for any other sausage!

Last year I got heavy into planting/growing more perennial herbs that I use frequently that I dehydrate myself.

Planted garlic to see if it will grow for me to have my own supply and to dehydrate then grind it into powder...wait and see if I'm successful l

I will pick all the dandelions I can find to make several gallons of wine..a 100 plus year old recipe that is so delicious and it will kick your butt

Anyone want to join me?
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Anyone interested?
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

So..I was searching the web to look for homemade recipes..

I found several things that I want to make like chap stick-I have always wanted to make my own.

Another is toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo, conditioner, body butters..(already made dandelion salve which is like a moisturizer)

I grow yarrow to make a all natural mosquito spray that I already made that is still steeping because I never got around to using it this past summer.

So excited to be making my own milk chocolate bars & caramel cubes.

I'm amazed on how little it cost to make your own compared to what we pay for stuff!
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi brenda67, I am interested in your challenge, but I need to stick more to making all my food from scratch and no salt.

Last week we cured our own ham, without salt, was kinda of a mess at first, but now we know how, so the next will be easy.

I can and make all my spagetti sauce, tomato sauce, etc, and want to do like you and make dough and freeze for later use.

Garlic is easy peasy to grow, the only thing that can be tricky is when to pull it out to dry it, we planted almost 200 this year, and make our own garlic powder. I also have a excaliber, 9 tray, so we dry alot of fruits, and veggies.

This year I want to plant acorn, butternut and spagetti squash.

I am not sure about chapstick, and soaps, but am interested in how your things come out. I'll give anything a try once.
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Pinetree~ I'm so happy that you will join me in this challenge!

So freaking neat that you cured your own ham..My sil & bil in Virginia use to do that years ago.

I learned last night how to make bacon...so simple and we have a smoker plus we have the spices to cure it just need to find where we can buy the pork belly.

I know if I had the bread dough already made I would be using it all the time...I make awesome Italian Sub Roll's so having the dough made makes it easier for me.

I'm entering a whole new world by making my own skincare, laundry/ dishwashing products.. I'm really looking forward to this!

I'm so excited to read that you grow your own garlic.

I have tried a couple times with no success but, I'm going to keep on trying it until I succeed. I NEED to learn this so I'm not buying garlic at the local farm stand at $ 1.50 each buying several each year adds up to more then I want to spend on something I can grow myself.
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Brenda67, sorry I had a hard time finding this again, Thanks Russ fot the sticky!!

Make sure your garlic is mulched and doesnt get too wet or too dry. We planted hard neck, we had a couple softneck last year, but to tell you the truth I prefer the hard. We plant it before the snow flies, mulch it good and forget about it until late spring, we water if it gets dry. We seem to pull ours at or before july 4. when it gets 3 dried leafs at the bottom, you can also dig part of one out, just pull the dirt away, to see if the are matured, if not recover it up and check later.. I Love pulling it to dry, the smell it amazing!!
    Oh yea, it likes lots of sun too!

Do you cure your bacon with salt? I cannot have salt so we are curing with celery juice, I need to figure out how to make it. We have a smoker too and the kids have a traeger smoker? think thats how its spelled. its electric, and uses pellets, ours is wood burning. We use the kids alot.

I have to find ways to make everything now since everything has salt. We just found a bread recipe we can use for rolls, buns, without salt. We also use it for pizza and cinnamon rolls. So anything you have with out salt I am willing to hear about. Its challenging thats for sure!

I need to figure out how to use the pressure canner so I can do broths, meats, veggies. I have 3 of them and still haven't figured it out...

I am excited to see how your soaps turn out, i might have to do them too!

Happy New Year!!
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks Pinetree for all your valuable information on growing the garlic.

I do believe that the brine has salt in it..I think its just water, salt and brown sugar that needs to cure for 48 hrs in fridge flipping it over in 24 hrs then smoke for 5 hours and you have bacon.

I'm sorry that you can't use salt anymore..I'm addicted to it so...

I learned to pressure can by watching youtube video's...the best one to watch imo is Linda's Pantry & Bexarprepper these people have so much freaking knowledge it's crazy...the first thing I pressure canned was Bexarprepper's meatloaf video...my family really likes it to.
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My homemade food today is Italian Sub Rolls for pepperoni grinders w/ mozzarella and Pumpkin Pie with homemade pie crust..if family wants whipped cream I will whip heavy cream with my homemade vanilla extract and sugar.
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Brenda are you going to do a separate canning thread or does this one include it?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Desire~ oh yes its homemade so I'm going to post it here my friend.
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Due to having a headache ALL day I didn't get started on making the laundry soap like I wanted to...boo hiss!

I did pull a container out of the freezer that is homemade beef stroganoff for our dinner.
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Made the 5-gallons of homemade laundry soap.

Refilled the Dawn foam Dishsoap with the copycat recipe I've been using for years.
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What was that recipe again? I've been having trouble with the pump being extremely hard to push down, and I'm wondering if I have the mixture wrong. I'm using it in a quart jar and also think the length of the tube drawing it up might be the problem, too. I don't know.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    What was that recipe again? I've been having trouble with the pump being extremely hard to push down, and I'm wondering if I have the mixture wrong. I'm using it in a quart jar and also think the length of the tube drawing it up might be the problem, too. I don't know.
    I reuse the original bottle that I bought many years ago..I've never tried it in any other pump container.. mine is a 13oz bottle.

I use 6-tablespoons of the original BLUE Dawn concentrate and gently fill it with water (I use to measure 2/3 cup twice per what the recipe stated but thought about how stupid that was since it pretty much fills the container anyway) then gently stir it.

Hope this helps..
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast