The great collection challenge!!
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default The great collection challenge!!

This is a fun challenge for me to accomplish this year. I want to acquire some vintage pyrex mixing bowls (4 qts primarily but some sets for ones I really like)

I feel like it will fit my homestead so perfectly, I love them, and I need some bigger non-reacting bowls for prepping things to be canned in anyways. So win/win!

My goal is to end up with 12 4qt bowls before the end of the year. All vintage, none of the new released stuff. My primary source will be ebay, but I will keep a look out at garage sales/goodwill. I've been looking at goodwill stores since summer and have found none. Not even smaller ones.

Do you guys collect anything? Let me know, and show some pictures! Want to join me in a collection challenge?
    Step 2
    Will update this when I have time

Food grown for my family so far: 37lbs 1 oz!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Desire~ try shopgoodwill.com for your vintage bowls.

That is where I got my 70s Corningware set from..just make sure you check the shipping cost so your not shocked like I was when I won my bid which was only $10.00 but the shipping was $23.00....but they packed my box so nicely each piece (if I remember correctly it was a 8 or 10 piece set) was wrapped in bubble wrap and packed nice and snug.

I plan to buy a vintage hand grinder from them in the next week or so..HTH..
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Is there something specific. Oven/fire king or old pyrex/certain pattern.IDK what you mean by bowls. I have stuff i'm dumping in glassware. Picture me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I used to collect stuff. The most recent thing was cast iron cookware, in particular camp Dutch ovens with the legs on the bottom and rimmed lid. But we've been divesting all our collections the past few years. Too much space to store and/or display them, too much work keeping them all clean, not enough space for things I actually use. I still have more than I should of CI stuff, and some other stuff too, mostly craft supplies.

I have Corningware glass bowls we got for a wedding gift in 1975, like these.

Our daughter broke the middle one of the set in the early eighties and I finally bought an expensive replacement on eBay about five years ago because I gave up trying to find one secondhand anywhere else. Keep in mind, we lived in Minneapolis in the late eighties and shopped extensively at thrift stores there, plus hit tons of garage sales every week keeping our family of ten supplied with things we needed, so it's not like I wasn't actively looking for one. They are just that hard to come by, or at least that was my experience. The dumb part about me buying that replacement is we never use those bowls. Glass just gets so hot to handle. Ceramic seems better to me.

Good luck with your search! It'll help if you're not looking for a particular thing, like I was.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Brenda) I never knew of that website!! Thank you!

FW) the cinderella bowls I've mainly been looking at. Here's some patterns I would like to get

Name:  butterprint.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  14.5 KB
    Name:  pinkgooseberry.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  8.4 KB
    Name:  colonialmist.jpg
Size:  7.0 KB

But there are several different designs i'm looking at. I admit I like the brighter colors best, but what I like most is they are vintage.

SD) Gorgeous set! Yes, I think it's just one of those things that people know they are worth money so it doesn't usually end up in garage sales. And I thrift, but not that much. My mom had a set but she had to sell them when my parents got a divorce.
    Step 2
    Will update this when I have time

Food grown for my family so far: 37lbs 1 oz!

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My mom had the pink set. I love the old glass stuff, but never found a set 2nd hand that I could afford. There was this one set in aqua at a junk store, but they wanted retail price for it. I have modern clear Corning bowls now.

Anyway, I hardly ever see Pyrex/Fire King at thrift stores any more, and if I do it is chipped or missing lids, or it is random small pieces, like single baking cups.

Try antique stores, they collect the better pieces and will have a selection. Because it is so collectible, and it's vintage/antique (not just yard sale junk any more) you will pay more, unfortunately.

I've had good luck buying single pieces at antique malls, too. Some of my favorites are these 1qt bowls from the 70's, I have them in yellow and green.

https://cdn-img-2.wanelo.com/p/2d3/7...c/x354-q80.jpg
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My grandmother had the blue set probably before I was born..I have beautiful memories of her using this bowls at all family gatherings.
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have one small casserole like that, CH, but not with a design on it. MIL had an entire set, but they were badly chipped. She didn't take good care of that stuff. I have several Fire King pieces. I also have some Pyrex butter dishes we used when I was a kid, red rectangular ones. Maybe they're not really butter dishes, but that's what we used them for. I have a blue Pyrex casserole with lid in perfect shape, with some kind of pattern on the sides. I got that for a shower gift. I also have a larger pink one, which boiled over in the micro during the rice cooking experiment the other day. I got that from a free box in 1975, because it's chipped. I don't use it much since I collected the square Corningware pots which seem more durable, but when we were first married I used the heck out of it. Eventually I found a lid for it at a rummage sale. A couple years ago I got a set of two of the brown Visions glass saucepans, also from a free box, with lids, all in perfect shape. I think the seller really hated them! One of those failed the micro rice test, too. I really should use that stuff more.

I have a green glass loaf pan with lid, I think from the forties. I think that's a Fire King. Mom gave it to me when she cleaned out her house.

Corningware used to be cheap secondhand but it's been discovered now, too. I'm glad I snapped up all those small square casserole dishes and the round Grab-Its too, while they were still dirt cheap. GW raised their prices from .99 to $4 overnight, it seemed. I have at least thirty of them. I bought a bunch of plastic lids for both on eBay and now I use those little casseroles constantly to make individual servings of things to freeze. I'm old enough to recall the TV jingle Corningware used, "From the freezer, to the oven, to the table." Yup, it works just like that, no extra dishes to dirty, just haul it out of the freezer, nuke it a while, and eat, thermal shock be damned. I love that!

I don't think it's that people know things are collectible so they don't donate it. I've picked up too much vintage and collectible stuff at thrifts to think that. I don't know why it's so hard to get these days. Maybe it's because I was looking for that one particular item. But I couldn't find ANY bowl the right size and shape for a long, long time, and finally picked up a plain red one that was all scratched. Or maybe it's a fad, like cast iron. When I started acquiring it, I could find CI pans at just about every sale I went to and always at thrift stores. No one wanted it then. Everyone was on the T-Fal bandwagon. It doesn't help that some people keep telling newbies how difficult CI is to care for (not) and how complicated it is to use (not). But now that the famous chefs have started using it again, it's HTF and expensive even secondhand. I do donate my CI because I've gotten a lot of it very cheap or free, and I have nowhere to sell it. I love to rehab rusty iron so I pick it off junk piles at the dump or buy it cheap when it's so rusty it's orange at garage sales where they're practically giving it away (and really should be giving it away!) Here's the last rehab I did.

Before, just after I paid a whole dollar for it. Nice, eh? Who wouldn't want to cook on this! Old cooked-on burger grease and rust, yum, yum!

I did a CI pan I saved from oblivion just because I couldn't leave it there at the dump for the scrappers. Here's the electrolysis bath I did both pieces in, one after the other, not together. Now tell me, who among you thinks it's not a good idea to hook a piece of iron up to a battery charger, toss it in a pail of water, and then turn on the power? It's such fun!

Here's the grill pan after its spa treatment. Nice, eh? Who wouldn't want to cook on this! Actually, I do use it quite a bit. This poor little gem was still left, all alone and unwanted, at the end of a huge rummage sale that attracts hundreds of people. Nobody knew how to take care of it I guess, or didn't think it was worth the trouble. It's become one of my favorite pieces.

How I do digress.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Raiquee View Post
    Brenda) I never knew of that website!! Thank you!

FW) the cinderella bowls I've mainly been looking at. Here's some patterns I would like to get

Name:  butterprint.jpg
Size:  14.5 KB
    Name:  pinkgooseberry.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  8.4 KB
    Name:  colonialmist.jpg
Size:  7.0 KB

But there are several different designs i'm looking at. I admit I like the brighter colors best, but what I like most is they are vintage.

SD) Gorgeous set! Yes, I think it's just one of those things that people know they are worth money so it doesn't usually end up in garage sales. And I thrift, but not that much. My mom had a set but she had to sell them when my parents got a divorce.
    I have the 2 that match on the right in the second picture they came from an auction several years ago.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD, I think popularity, and then availability comes in waves. Pyrex and Corning ware was popular in the 50's 60's and 70's and then as that generation aged it went to yard sales and thrift stores in the 80's and 90's. Nobody wanted it for a decade or two, so it wasn't being bought and brought into homes. Consequently, it isn't showing up in yard sales and thrift stores much now. The same with CI, people buying it now are hanging on to it. The second hand stuff has the disadvantage that a junk seller may choose to take it to a metal recycling place for quick $, since a lot of folks won't be attracted to rusty pans.

I had a whole set of cranberry Vision ware once. I had to leave it behind on one of my moves, along with an entire set of Iris Corning Ware, and a set of either Wildflower or Spice of life that had been my grandmother's.

Right now I'm using French White. My MIL bought me a bunch of the mini gratin dishes and 1pt casseroles, which we use for everything from feeding the cats to reheating dinner.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Aw, that's too bad you had to leave your stuff behind, especially if it was family stuff.

You're right about the waves. The fads happen, then fade, people sell, and then it becomes collectible later on. But people do donate collections. I've done it myself. We've also cleaned out relatives' houses where there's just no time to deal with selling collectibles, so they get donated.

Yeah, I know a lot of people would never bother to refurb a pan. I love it though. That poor neglected stuff looks so terrible and hopeless, and it's a lot of work to refurb CI unless you use electrolysis so a lot of people don't want to do the work, but a lot of people either have never heard of it, or they're afraid to put an electrical appliance into a pail of water. Can't imagine why. LOL!

I don't like the new ceramic Corningware. It's just not as good, and you can't do as much with it. The vintage stuff is made from the same material as missile nosecones that keep missiles from burning up in the atmosphere, so you know that stuff is made to take the heat.

The electrician just left. He found bare wires in the heat pump that were shorting out the whole furnace. We can't figure out why that thing keeps rubbing the insulation off the wires. But at any rate, we have heat so I can love living in Minnesota again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

sorry all I have is glassware clear stuff. But I will say check out ESTATESSALES.NET
    I signed up and used to go. You get weekly emails of sales in your area. You can notify certain seller you are looking for things. Yeah,it would be rare this sort of stuff is at the GW or SA these days. Grandma garage sales were she has passed and the kids are dumping works.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This I do know. Ebay resellers.... this is one of the most sought after things to look for to put on Ebay. I belong to 2 or 3 groups ( mostly for entertainment purposes ) and they talk about this all the time. That and clothes. Not my thing.
    Good luck finding any. Try Ebay. I KNOW there's some there.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge July
    $

Grocery Challenge/July
    Goal $250.00
    Total $

Eat Out No More July
    Goal 20
    Accomp/7

No Spend Challenge/July
    Goal 20
    Accomp 6