2017 To-Do Challenge - Page 8
Page 8 of 86 FirstFirst ... 5678910111858 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

ILC, so sorry to hear about SIL. Must have been quite a shock.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

dircpa, are the hired help from an agency? My DD was a home health aid while in nursing school, worked through an agency. Most of what she did was cleaning & laundry. She also did personal care, bathing, dressing, some cooking.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

ILC-I am so sorry. I hope she is w/ her DH. How sad.
    Dcpa-ID think medical/personal care and house help are the same. IK when i cared for peoples children housework wasnt incl.

We hit the bread store and spent $20. I am swimming in bread. .39/,59 and .95 I got 12 loaves of the better bread, 3 loaves of the jewish rye and 2 seeded,3 loaves of Texas toast,3 boxes of choc wax donuts,3 box pies,2 reg. loves for french toast,onion buns,cornmeal topped hamb. buns And i prob. forgot something. I figured DD would grab some but IDK wheb she'll be down here again.
    We also hit the groc. and i got a bunch of stuff there too. The only issue was getting it all in in the fridgid cold. DH was dragging tons of garbage out.

DD did well.It is much less anxiety inducing to look in there. The cats are grabbing yarn at night at just making a string web everywhere. Party at 1 a.m.!! Eventually the room will be cleared? Patience. Working on it.lol

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalwarrior2 View Post
    We hit the bread store and spent $20. I am swimming in bread. .39/,59 and .95 I got 12 loaves of the better bread, 3 loaves of the jewish rye and 2 seeded,3 loaves of Texas toast,3 boxes of choc wax donuts,3 box pies,2 reg. loves for french toast,onion buns,cornmeal topped hamb. buns And i prob. forgot something.
    FW, I have a dead bread store near my home and I would like to use it more often but I don't have very good results when I freeze bread in the freezing compartment of my refrigerator. The bread and rolls seem to quickly develop ice crystals that cause the bread to thaw unevenly unless I crisp it in the oven. I would appreciate any tips you may have for storing, freezing or thawing your recent haul of bread and rolls.

Thanks B

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good morning. I am saddened today to read this morning that one of our homeless gentlemen died in the cold last night. The one thing that we lack in our town is more shelters. We have had an influx from Dallas due to the dismantling of tent cities. We do an excellent job of feeding, clothing, and other things, but not enough shelter. It's going to be a very tough day at the soup kitchen.

Today: work at soup kitchen, pick up script from theatre, water and fertilize indoor plants, make a stop at Target and CVS, FaceTime with DD and family tonight to watch them open their Christmas gifts that are to be delivered today.

To all of you: stay warm and safe.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

ILC, I am sorry for your loss. I hope she is at peace.

GB, your community is fortunate to have you and the soup kitchen.

FW, hope you are doing ok.

Dinner with the kids last night was nice, even though it was later than I would have liked. SS is trying to buy a car, it doesn't run right now and I don't think he can come up with the money to repair it.

It is supposed to get above freezing today. I may go out just to get out of the house. Need to get to the PO, have the usual list of housework. Going to make chicken pot pie for the freezer. Surgery is only 2 weeks away.

Great deals on the bread, FW! I wish we could eat more of it, but DH just can't. He has some kind of intolerance that makes his sinuses swell and then he snores like a freight train.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you for comments. 1 man from agency 4 hours nightly M-F. No complaints about him except dad (stroke and Alzheimer's) sometimes takes exception to this guy. Apparently Wednesday was bad. Whoever cares for dad must be able to lift/transfer/toilet him and prepare meals and give meds. The agency sent others who did laundry and such, but could not lift dad, so that was not helpful.

The other 2 who come are women, not from agency. My mother balks at paying the agency rates, (since only 1 agency person so far can lift Dad) so she gets what she gets - people "found" through word-of-mouth, not very reliable and really wanting un-reported payment in cash. The woman who used to cook them meals quit last fall (had a baby recently so I understand.) Mom is going to do what she wants regardless of what anyone else thinks. It's just annoying having to listen to her complain about this for an hour, and mopping the dirty floors on top of that!

Soups to cook & freeze this week: Split pea, potato-cheese-ham, Manhattan clam chowder. That ought to use up the ham, bacon and potatoes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

dcpa-I was wondering if caring for them might be overwhelming. When people get mentally compromised its often the case and lets face it,its a get who you can job. just have experience from Dh being in a nursing home 3 weeks. He got left by the elevator (w/ 3 limbs compromised) for 45 min. alone so some loser could go flirt w/ another female aide,and no one comes in on holidays all calling in sick. IK that home care nurse that came last time was a former real estate agent and make dh got to the hosp. for a strange rash which was a latex allergy that traced the line of the bandage, Ambulance ride unpaid by ins. $500. by me.
    On the flip side my Dmoms "stepfather" the drunk harassed any aide that came in esp. if they were african american. Of course he got a rep and few would come in when Dgram was ill. Dmom wouldnt let me help because there may have been an accident after how he pummeled my Dmom as a child and my gram. I cant say no to that?? Try and hang in there.
    CH-sorry your surgery is looming. I'm ok just wrestling w/ myself over the deployment and how angry and disappointed I am. Ds is really on a roll. I realised I had given him $1200. this year to help his finanaces and that this is the end of that ride. The girl told DD she isnt preggers lets just hope that true when next month hits. This is so crazy. His deployment and service end about Sept. I pray he wont reenlist.None of his Army training will be helpful to any special field. and if he has PTSD like last time I cant imagine any marriage lasting let alone a 1 month connection. I want to ignore the whole thing so darn bad. IDK how he thought we'd react. I guess i'll just not contact her until I can say something nicer.

Aunt B-not all bread freezes well. I use the better breads w/ whole grains and wheat. The cheap white bread gets made into french toast and it goes right into to the toaster for 1 1/2-2 x down so no defrost. We prob. toast and grill the majority of it but I honestly never noticed what your saying. I naturally let it defrost I dont put it in the microwave of anything. I just set it on the stove and then the microwave where the bread "lives". I do donut,flour tortillas and pitas w/o issue. The only ting is my pies. I use doulbe filling for the apple and have had it get a little applesauce-ish. Most likely we just arent picky.lol The loaves are .59-.99 normally and the deals are better on Sun, come to find. Also Wed. but senior day is cleared out. This is bread that $2.99-$3.99 so I'm ok. Bread on sale for the 3/4 loaf for $2.50 is nutty to me. I also bought the 5 loaves for $3.99? ubake and will do those on cold days. I just dump them in a greased laof pan overnight and let it rise in the oven (do not like drafts or kitty tongue prints in my bread. and bake the next day.

I need to reorg. freezer for bread-a-thon.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Aunt Bea, I have noticed ice crystals on frozen bread, too. It helps to use the fridge as an intermediate step. When you bring the bread home put it in the fridge until it is cold, then put it in the freezer. If the air in the bag is already cold it forms fewer ice crystals. When you defrost, do it overnight in the fridge. This allows the bread to slowly reabsorb the moisture in the bag. Sometimes there are damp spots, it make take an extra day for the moisture to redistribute.

Also, if you can, squeeze out as much air as possible from the bags so there is no space for moisture to collect.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you. According to mom (who is not 100% believable) there is a lot of TV being watched, so I don't think overwhelmed is the problem. They just feel like keeping the house semi-clean is not in job description. I'm not asking for white glove test, but when I spot-cleaned the kitchen floor the towel came away black, so there you go. I mopped. Need to buy a new mop too.

Sort of need to brag that *I* can lift my dad too. Toileting is messy. Definitely need to wear old clothes when I go there.

Aunt Bea, I double-bag the bread. Bread w/ higher fat content will store better. That would explain whole grains storing better than refined flour breads.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi everyone! The chinook is blowing today, so the snow should all be gone soon!! yippee, its suppose to get to almost 60* yea!! springtime!! lol

today
    clean up kitchen
    vacuum
    nap if I can

Gbug I an so sorry about the gentlemen. Denver was going around breaking up cities and taking tents and blankets, they made them quit taking blankets, but there no where for them to go, shelters are full, then they are stuck on the streets.. its really pretty bad here, you have the best set up I think.. I don't see much of it, just what they show on tv, and that isn't much, I know a few months ago they said it was a disgrace, and was keeping Denver from getting conventions etc.. yep, all about the money....

Have a wonderful day.
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks to all the condolences on my DH's sister. Arrangements have been made by her sons, everything is local, and there's a telephone/email/text chain going among all family members, so everything is pretty much done. DH has been talking a lot about her---she was 15 years older than him and he almost thought of her as a second mama.

Bible study class is tonight and I may or may not go, I just haven't decided. Today I want to change the sofa slipcover, clean out the litter box, do some vacuuming, stuff like that. It's finally out of the low 30s and sunshiny so that's improving my mood.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

ILC so sorry to hear the news. May God give you strength in the days/weeks ahead.

Been shoveling snow for two hours this morning but it was nice and mild so that was good. Supposed to freeze for a couple of days again so I wanted to get the snow removed. Our neighbour's wife is in the hospital because of a heart attack and he isn't so well himself so have been shoveling there as well. Lots of exercise anyway.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

momof5. Kinda of you but do be careful yourself. I will only do a little and come then do more later. fortunately the snow here is low ATM.

Very tired right now. I been drifting from the pantry to the kitchen and the freezer downstairs. Not productive visually. Going to strt some chili later. Meatball subs tonight and chili tomorrow.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Been trying finish up some things was suppose get done over week end,dusting,cleaning out desk drawer tossing some papers.It is cold and cloudy here and we are suppose get rain here all week .I hope the weather forecaster are wrong.

Page 8 of 86 FirstFirst ... 5678910111858 ... LastLast