2018 Household Purge/De-clutter Challenge - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have 6 bags of clothing from mom's to go out on Tuesday. I washed and will store a lot of winter stuff to decide later if I want to keep them or donate those also. I won't have to buy casual clothes for a decade....

I have a large box + grocery tote of audiocassettes (books and classical music) that the library several counties over should accept. Have to drive over there though. Also a box of books to drop at a different location.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A couple larger items went out the door Tuesday gave away a tv stand and a stool.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hubby took 2 boxes of mom's audiobooks to the library that would accept them. 194 (cannot believe he took the time to count them.) That was my mom, why have 10 of something when you can have 194.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Books are going to the drop box today - several large boxes. Clothing donation truck is in the neighborhood weekly but will probably skip this week and get a pickup next week. I gathered all mom's dolls in one room at their house and counted 28. Sis agreed to take them but when I told her how many I guess she had second thoughts because she did not load any in her car to take home. Guess I will go see if there are any doll collector boards where someone would buy an entire lot.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We hauled a box of dishes from the camper and one of those toilet topper cabinets to GW yesterday.

Still need to sort my closet.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

got rid of 2 old TVs from parents' house and some minor electronics - work has a recycling place at the loading dock so very convenient. Have another box of books to take to the book drop. 3 bags of clothing + 1 miscellaneous box ready for donation tomorrow morning.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have been in the process of this since the beginning of the year.
    Not much done yet, but I need to get busy because we are closing
    out our storage unit. Lots of books to go thru, cull, and get rid of.

Dh gave a flat screen tv to a friend from work. It was smaller and
    older then the ones we use in the house. Good shape though, so
    now it is out of the unit. We have several things that will go straight
    to goodwill, 2 ottomans, a table and lamp, a couple of magazine
    racks, etc.

We have sorted out the dishes and got rid of a lot, some from
    duplicates after dh moved back in, 35 years of building a household.

Monday, I will begin in earnest. We will be housing a daughter and
    her family (5) for a few days in Aug because of the marriage of the
    oldest granddaughter. I figure they may want to have a place to sleep :-)
    EmilyD

Change/Piggy Bank Jar Challenge (I use it for my clothes allowance)
    All silver change into piggy for 1 year (Oct 2019)
    Household savings account $200.00 monthly, current bal. $2600.00
    My savings: current bal. 100.00
    Pay extra on mortgage/loan/auto $50.00 @ monthly

Projects for 2018: Done
    Replace wooden pathway with concrete
    Cemetery Plots and burial plot for kitty
    Payments for cemetery products $80.00/$1875 per month x2 yr. begun in March 2017
    Pay off old and closed credit card

Projects for 2019:
    New porch (from dh's vacation fund, this summer)
    New garage door (next week, $900+tax)
    Hire out yard clean-up, bush trims, weeds ($400)
    Major declutter house (in progress)
    Major declutter garage (in progress)
    Re-decorate my bathroom (in progress)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Put 3 dust catcher( nick naks) in box today 3 less to dust next time i have been putting things in box as i see something that will be going out later still got go through closets again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm in the process of seriously purging.
    I've sold my house and I'm moving to a slightly smaller one.

I put a ton of things out for a "Moving Sale" last weekend and made $1500!! (There were several pieces of pretty nice furniture)

As I pack what's left, I'm purging even more. For example, when I was packing dishes, I realized that I don't need 12 plates, so I packed 8 of them and will donate the rest.
    Luckily I have 2 weeks to pack, so I will do a lot more "packing purging."

I've managed to empty 22 of those plastic storage bins in the process. That will reduce the number of boxes that I need.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I need to get back to this myself.

We did hang the last wall cabinet in the garage yesterday, finally. We were going to do something else with it but decided to put it in a different place, which ended the procrastinating. Getting the cabinet out of the way will help us work down the chain. The cabinet was in the way of a different cabinet, which is in the way of something else, etc., etc. We need to get the garage in order before winter so don't have much time.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Spent an hour looking for the rubber mallet. DH uses stuff and doesn't put it back where it %$#@! belongs. I installed an 8 ft pegboard in the garage before we'd even finished moving in here and it's virtually empty.

Meanwhile I got rid of several empty boxes just sitting out there, and a brand new plastic bucket that cracked because something heavy got dropped on top of it. Sigh.

Found the mallet, now I need the staple gun.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Story of our lives, CH. I tried the peg board, too. Same result. A rolling tool cabinet was cheaper and less trouble than a divorce. We're up to three tool cabinets now, zero divorces. We are still working on organizing our multitude of tools, but seldom have to do long searches anymore, luckily.

I was just in my sewing room thinking it's getting out of control now. The work table in the FR, too. Time for me to tidy. Why does housework suck so much?

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

If there was room for another tool cabinet I would buy one in a heartbeat. The garage is stuffed. In addition to the the old car, the fridge and freezer, lawn mower, tiller and other tools there are two full sized work benches, 6 floor to ceiling shelving units, and... a 3x8ft glass aquarium (aka "Lenin's Tomb"). There's only room for one toolbox now because we got rid of the 2nd fridge years ago. DH brings home stuff. He has a huge 3x3 rolling rack meant for computer equipment, and it is piled with junk and can't be moved. Actually, I think there's two of them. And right now one of the tables is holding two dead 3d printers that are just gathering dust. I think we're going to have a talk about those.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm going to be moving [sometime in the near future ... I hope!] and I so don't want to move anything that isn't necessary but I seem to be at a stand still as far as getting rid of things.

My weaknesses are yarn and papers [lots and lots of both!] I will surely use all of the yarn up and will keep that without a doubt but as for the papers, many are scraps ... pages from magazines, pictures or words cut from magazines but I use those in my art.

Last night I did sort through some of the papers and was able to get rid of some. If nothing else, I cut the parts of the paper that I would use in my art and then threw out the rest. Hoping to do much more of this. Why I feel I need to keep so much, I have no idea - I mean, truly, it's not like they won't make more magazines, ya know?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I see your dilemma, CH. There was some marital discord at the time we built our garage. I wanted it to be a standard double garage to save money. Husby wanted an oversized double. I'll be eternally grateful I lost that one! After we put the van and full sized truck in, we still have five or six feet on each side and six or eight feet at the front of the vehicles. We will have plenty of space once we get the ceiling in and get rid of the materials that have been laying around for 25 years, and once we finish organizing stuff. But I have to be the crap Nazi, as one of our friends calls it. Husby still wants to buy stuff without a plan where to put it. I've gotten so my first question to myself is 'where will that live?' before I buy. Most of the time anyway. Nobody's perfect. Asking him that question often helps keep more crap from making its way in. Not always, because he's not perfect either.

SK, a few years ago I discovered the amazing storage uses of old entertainment centers. We bought a flurry of them for different purposes to fit different spaces. Most needed nothing more than putting a lightweight backer on them and shelving in the old spaces where the TVs used to go. I put one in the entry of our cabin for pots and potting supplies (before we bought the greenhouse, where some of that stuff now lives), one inside the cabin for camping gear and AeroGardens and supplies, and then in the house, one for knitting, crochet, and tatting supplies, one for beading supplies and fur, leather, and macrame, one for TV and video games with the flat screen on top, one for towels and bathroom stuff in a bathroom, and a small one for books. We paid $10 each for most of them. The 3x7 cabinet for the bathroom was an outlier, but because it's custom built by a local craftsman from top quality materials, it was still a huge bargain when we got it at a garage sale for $125. It's a perfect fit in the space we had in our bathroom. The backers and shelves came from scrap in our garage, or from salvaged stuff. Some needed minimal repairs or alterations, but most were in near-perfect condition. I can't even buy a board for $10. I still can't believe how well each has worked out for its designated new function. The take away is they make good use of vertical space which helps a lot.

What has helped me most in decluttering has been setting aside a particular space for something. When that space is full, that's it till I use something up or get rid of it. It helps me a lot to resist the temptation of buying more stuff, and it helps a lot with clutter creep at home, too. I have fifteen feet of shelf space for cookbooks now. It's crammed full. I don't even look at cookbooks when we're shopping somewhere (not much anyway, still not perfect ) Knowing I don't have anywhere to go with new cookbooks keeps me from buying and buying and then having the clutter of cookbooks all over, like I used to have. If I do buy a new cookbook, when I get home I find something to part with to make space. I've done the same with all sorts of stuff and it's had a big positive impact in clutter reduction in the house. I don't buy stuff like craft things unless I really love them, knowing I have to make space somewhere. I know my spaces are full, and every space represents many, many projects I already have to do, so it's a reminder I'm just buying more work for myself if I add to it.

I subdivide spaces, too, so I don't get overrun with certain things. Someday in the far future, I'd like to do some scrapbooking. But not a lot. I picked up a nice carry case for scrapbooking supplies, and slowly bought stuff to fill it and get it ready. I don't buy scrapbooking stuff anymore because the case is full. It lives in a cabinet in my sewing room, all organized and ready to go. Some things don't require an entire cabinet but designating a smaller space works the same way.

It's taken a lot of fun out of shopping, which has also impacted our bottom line. Even buying secondhand runs into money over the course of year, if we're buying too much we don't really need. It's working for us though, for the most part.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast