2018 Household Purge/De-clutter Challenge - Page 4
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm also trying to downsize in case of a move, although I'm hoping we won't have to move for at least ten years. OTOH, I've been working to get our clutter under control for about fifteen years now. When we move, I expect to have less space, plus I'd like to get this place whipped into shape so it's easier to keep clean, so I'm still trying to get rid of stuff with those two goals in mind. It's difficult, but I keep picking stuff out to donate and it does help.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yeah, "Where are we going to put it?" is a common question when we go shopping, too. I talked to DH last night, he says the old printers still work, just not as well as his newest one. I said it was too bad we didn't know any inquisitive teenagers who liked to tinker with electronics. (DH got his start dumpster diving for old tvs and radio parts) That got him thinking and he said he'd ask around. So that's a start.

A lot of the accumulation out there happened last year when I was off my feet. I need to spend a day or two this fall, with the doors open, pulling stuff out and cleaning right down to the cement floor.

Scarlett, I know what you mean about papers. I am trying not to let those pile up too much. I don't do a lot of paper crafting, but when I do it always seems to require something different than what I already have. And a new magazine will never have something as good as the stuff you threw out.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was shredding papers from parents' house last night. Including mom's work evaluations from the 1960's. *Seriously* Husband better not stick me with the same job on his old work papers. Do not see the need to hang onto this stuff.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by dlrcpa View Post
    I was shredding papers from parents' house last night. Including mom's work evaluations from the 1960's. *Seriously* Husband better not stick me with the same job on his old work papers. Do not see the need to hang onto this stuff.
    dlrcpa: I can so feel what you're going through with the papers you've been working on except for the shredding part and I didn't have a shredder so I went through each and every one and any pertinent information I cut out with small scissors. We're talking thousands of papers and years worth.

This was an 89 year old man who saved nearly EVERYTHING. I had tons and tons of papers from mail he'd received with his account numbers on and then the years worth that he'd gathered and hadn't thrown away and then when he finally went to the nursing home [in June of this year], I had to clean everything out of his apartment. I had tax papers for him [and some that were his wife's] ... back to 1946 and every year after that as well.

Because he had stocks and bonds, etc., he also had to file taxes even into his 80's. I was so sick of papers by the time I was done! I don't ever want to have to go through something like that again - talk about a nightmare. Ugh!

Good luck with not getting stuck with having more of those to do [your hubby's old work papers.]

Scarlett Kaye

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    SK, a few years ago I discovered the amazing storage uses of old entertainment centers. We bought a flurry of them for different purposes to fit different spaces.

What has helped me most in decluttering has been setting aside a particular space for something. When that space is full, that's it till I use something up or get rid of it.

I subdivide spaces, too, so I don't get overrun with certain things.
    My only problem is that all I have is an efficiency apartment and nowhere to put the things to store other things in. Now, when I get moved - I will have a bedroom but too, I don't want a lot of "stuff" ... I've found it's much easier to clean when there's not a lot of stuff in the way so definitely want to limit what I'm taking.

Someone did have a coffee table [a pretty oval one with a glass top] and I grabbed it ... nowhere to put it, mind you so it's just sitting there but I thought that I'd like to have it for when I do move. The problem is, now I'm second guessing myself as to whether I really want it or not. I've had that on my "to do list" the past few days and still haven't figured it out yet. Oh well, maybe I'll get that figured out over the weekend? lol

Scarlett Kaye

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    Scarlett, I know what you mean about papers. I am trying not to let those pile up too much. I don't do a lot of paper crafting, but when I do it always seems to require something different than what I already have. And a new magazine will never have something as good as the stuff you threw out.
    You are so right about a new magazine never having something as good in it as the one you threw out. So true, so true!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I sorted through all my tops today and put the ones that are still too small in my dresser for storage. I haven't been paying attention but I've lost 20 pounds in the past couple years, so I tried on a bunch of stuff and found out I have lots of nice tee shirts I can wear either right away or, I hope, soon. I found I only have 2 ratty tees left, since I've slowly purged those. I'm keeping those for painting and messy work, even though I now hate the sight of them. I found six tops to donate.

The goal is to pare down my clothes and get Husby to pare down his. He has the walk-in closet to himself now, and I have a wardrobe. I want to get rid of the wardrobe as part of our downsizing. Therefore I have to find space in the walk-in for my clothes. What I did today should help a lot.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Brought home a small 4-drawer plastic organizer unit from brother's yard sale junk. I think that is going in my closet to hold my newly acquired sock wardrobe.

I saw some interesting organizer/storage ideas on bobvila.com a few nights ago. Yes - the guy from "This Old House".

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

2018 Household Purge/De-clutter Challenge-2112053b-d82a-4313-9a4a-45eccf4ffa01.jpg2018 Household Purge/De-clutter Challenge-2723628b-44bf-44e5-b945-3a573437e8a0.jpg2018 Household Purge/De-clutter Challenge-f4f96ad1-2eb9-4f9b-a938-bd7f2653d46b.jpg
    We’ll have not posted for a looooong time.
    Since I last posted my husband has retired, we sold everything in our 2400 square foot home, our home, 2 vehicles and moved to Hawaii.
    Everything we own fits into 6 suitcases and 3 boxes and our truck.
    We have been here for 7 weeks and have been in a 700 square foot vacation rental.
    We are moving into a 500 ft condo on Monday and will need to downsize some of our possessions some more.
    We had a dream and we made it happen.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congrats! I know you've been tslking about this move for a long time. It's nice to hear you finally made it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Domestic Gal View Post
    Everything we own fits into 6 suitcases and 3 boxes and our truck.
    We have been here for 7 weeks and have been in a 700 square foot vacation rental.
    We are moving into a 500 ft condo on Monday and will need to downsize some of our possessions some more.
    We had a dream and we made it happen.
    Congratulations, that is such awesome news!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm getting the urge to declutter again. That's always a welcome urge around here. It's too hot to work much but if I get started early in the day, I should be able to do more stuff till about 11 AM. Even a couple hours per day would make a huge difference.

Today we hung a cabinet, so that's no longer sitting on the pinball game where it's been for way too long. Husby cut down the shelves so they fit again, since I had made the cabinet more shallow so it could hang over the toilet in the guest bath. Getting the cabinet hung will provide space to put away the towels and other bathroom stuff that's sitting on my craft table since we got rid of the old toilet topper cabinet we had, plus some other assorted clutter. It'll be good to get that stuff put away.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have come up with a brilliant idea that has been helping me make a lot of progress this summer.

I belong to a women's networking group. One of their big pushes is for people to meet up one on one for breakfast or lunch or whatever to get to know each other better and build relationships with each other.

Well, I don't want to spend money on a meal to do idle chit chat with a stranger. LOL ROFL

So instead, I posted a note in the facebook group asking if anyone would be interested in making our one on one a project swap. You come to my house for 2-4 hours and work as a minion on my project and I will then go to your house for 2-4 hours to work as a minion on your project. Five people signed up to do it with me, so I have scheduled roughly one swap per week.

I have done my shed, my basement and my freezer inventory so far.

I am currently working on my future craft room (clearing out hubby's old home office). Once that project is done, I'll work on my home office and the garage next.

That will actually finish my largest decluttering projects. I still have some small ones (like bathroom vanities and some kitchen cupboards...).

Then I'll move on to other organizing projects like recipes, photos, etc. and unfinished craft projects (same concept but with those kinds of projects instead of big organizing/decluttering projects).

I definitely encourage you to find people to partner up with to help you.

My ground rules: You commit to swapping (so each person gets a turn on their own project) and no judgment!

2018 Household Purge/De-clutter Challenge-shed-collage-2.jpg

2018 Household Purge/De-clutter Challenge-basement-collage.jpg
    2018/2019 Pay Off the Windows Challenge: $26,886.34/$31,057.34 (Goal: Pay Off By 12/31/2019)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow, that is a brilliant idea, for sure! Oh and yeah, I'm not into idle chit chat with strangers either.

As for myself, I don't have any big projects but am sure that this would work for a lot of people. Good thinking!

Scarlett Kaye

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congrats to Domestic Gal - Enjoy your dream for many years to come. I am sure we would all enjoy hearing about
    living in Hawaii. I envy you for just doing it.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast