2018 Household Purge/De-clutter Challenge - Page 5
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I checked and found my county has a shred event in about 10 days that I hope to get to. Limit 4 boxes but that will be a great help. My shredder is not up to the task.
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on FacebookSpurl this Post!Reddit!Wong this Post!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yesterday was a win for me ... I went through some magazines [with more to go yet!] and got rid of them AND then last night when I come into our lobby, someone had set 2 cute jars out and I went to grab them and then changed my mind and left them there! I just have got to keep reminding myself, I am trying to get rid of stuff, not get more of it.

Scarlett
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on FacebookSpurl this Post!Reddit!Wong this Post!

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm going to be cleaning the deck and getting rid of old starter pots, boxes and miscellaneous crap that got left out this spring.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Submitted a partial list of odd silver and china to replacements.com. They have a nice efficient process - you enter what china or silver pattern you have for sale and they email a multi-page PDF of the pieces they are willing to buy and max price they will pay in that pattern. Still working through the lists at my end. But very fast and relatively easy to do. Some pieces are yard-sale cheap - like $2/plate. So I would not bother shipping something like that (seller pays for shipping.)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    I'm going to be cleaning the deck and getting rid of old starter pots, boxes and miscellaneous crap that got left out this spring.
    Yeah, it's that miscellaneous crap that seems to trip me up every time when it comes to decluttering. I don't seem to have a problem with the bigger type things but the small miscellaneous stuff, that seems to be the stuff that I feel I need to save because ... well, you know - "I might need it someday. lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by dlrcpa View Post
    Submitted a partial list of odd silver and china to replacements.com. They have a nice efficient process - you enter what china or silver pattern you have for sale and they email a multi-page PDF of the pieces they are willing to buy and max price they will pay in that pattern. Still working through the lists at my end. But very fast and relatively easy to do. Some pieces are yard-sale cheap - like $2/plate. So I would not bother shipping something like that (seller pays for shipping.)
    Way to go, you're making progress!

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I used to save plastic nursery pots, but I have so many now there is no need. Plus they crack after a few years. I kept a few of the best ones and tossed the rest. We had an old sprinkler that broke, something inside the plastic housing I couldn't repair. Bunch of random pieces of plastic this-n-that, boxes, and crap. Cleaned out my car afterward, plastic coffee cups and Joann's ads, etc. Filled an entire trash bag. DH's car gets it this week when I take it for service. And we're taking a box of books to a potluck tonight, to give away.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Filled out the silver and china worksheets as best I was able. Less than half is worth sending for sale. I ordered (free) priority mail shipping boxes from the USPS web site. The silver is heavy so flat-rate box will work well. Went thru 1 box of papers sorting into shred/recycle. About 2/3 was recycle. Have a few more boxes to sort before the shred event Saturday. Laundered afghans for donation.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Added a wrought iron plate rack, and two shelves with drawers to the donate pile today.

We did some minor prep work in the master bathroom. I want to get started painting in there, even though it's still humid. I can't stand the vanity we bought years ago now that's still sitting in the living room. We have to get the plumber here to install it before winter, and that will come before too long. I have to get the tip-outs installed in front of the bathroom sink. I have everything else done on the vanity, so if I get that done it will just be the paint. I'll only be doing what's needed to put in the vanity for now, but it's going to take at least four coats so it won't be quick. The new vanity has 6 drawers compated to none in the fake vanity we have, plus the tip-outs and some cabinet space too. That will help a lot to get even more organized in there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yesterday I went through a stack of old magazines [Women's Household if any of y'all remember that one?] These were from the very late 1960's and the very early 1970's. Today I took those along with a couple of other magazines and a pair of jeans down to the local charities place and left them there.

Had the magazines been 5 to 9 years old I probably would have had a harder time in getting rid of them as those were the years when I always bought them and am sure I would have recognized old pen pals names in them and such. Still was fun skimming through them as they aren't published anymore and it's been quite awhile since they have been.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have been working on this for a couple of weeks, steadily.

I have gotten rid of 25 bags of books I will never get to.
    I hated to do it, I had planned a big project (1001 books
    to read before you die.) The awful thing was most of the
    books I read from the list were "killing" me. A very few gems.

We are also working toward retirement (4 years or so.)
    Decluttering should make it easier to clean. We have
    already moved to a smaller house, so now it is just
    getting it emptied out of old interests so new interests
    can live in peace.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dropping 2 boxes at shred event. Boss at work said I could dump shredding in the work boxes, a bit at a time - woo hoo! Very easy to carry a bit in to work a couple times a week. Hubby moved a book case and selected a few books to get rid of. I will put 3 novels in the library box on Sunday.

A local auction/appraisal place will let you send in photos of furniture and give a free assessment (basically if they are interested or not.) So plan for tomorrow is to take my (digital) camera to parents' house and get pics of the bedroom furniture to send in to see if it's worth anything. In mom's mind, everything was valuable. In reality, probably not. What a nuisance to have to go through piece-by-piece. Oh well, eventually it will all be sorted out. The sooner the better!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It sounds like you're definitely on a roll. Way to go!

Quote Originally Posted by dlrcpa View Post
    Dropping 2 boxes at shred event. Boss at work said I could dump shredding in the work boxes, a bit at a time - woo hoo! Very easy to carry a bit in to work a couple times a week. Hubby moved a book case and selected a few books to get rid of. I will put 3 novels in the library box on Sunday.

A local auction/appraisal place will let you send in photos of furniture and give a free assessment (basically if they are interested or not.) So plan for tomorrow is to take my (digital) camera to parents' house and get pics of the bedroom furniture to send in to see if it's worth anything. In mom's mind, everything was valuable. In reality, probably not. What a nuisance to have to go through piece-by-piece. Oh well, eventually it will all be sorted out. The sooner the better!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by EmilyD View Post
    I have been working on this for a couple of weeks, steadily.

I have gotten rid of 25 bags of books I will never get to.
    I hated to do it, I had planned a big project (1001 books
    to read before you die.) The awful thing was most of the
    books I read from the list were "killing" me. A very few gems.

We are also working toward retirement (4 years or so.)
    Decluttering should make it easier to clean. We have
    already moved to a smaller house, so now it is just
    getting it emptied out of old interests so new interests
    can live in peace.
    You've really been making progress ... good for you! Ugh, nothing worse than having a book you're to read when you can't get into it! Keep up the good work with your decluttering.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You guys are doing better than us, but we did make a little progress today. We loaded up an office chair, a good size box of clothes and misc, a plate rack, and 2 wall shelves with drawers for GW. Husby also sorted his hat collection so we could donate the hat rack they were on.

I'm still fine-tuning the furniture so dragged home a different office chair that will work in the space I need it to, and a small end table for the living room. But more went out than came in, so I'm happy with that.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast