2018 Household Purge/De-clutter Challenge - Page 9
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Husby sold 171 novels to a co-worker today for $50. More space in his office and some money in his pocket.

I used up some items from the sewing stash and made an apron for a friend. I will make two potholders to go with it, probably tomorrow.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I ended up making 5 potholders from scrap fabrics, 2 to go with the apron and 3 for my mom for Christmas. The apron and the 2 potholders with the trees were shipped today, so they're decluttered. The 2 trees and the star blocks came already made in a bag of fabric I got for fifty cents recently, so that saved me lots of time not having to make them.
    2018 Household Purge/De-clutter Challenge-20181127_140305_1543465714952.jpg

I put stuff away from my craft table. It's not done because I got sidetracked putting up the new thread rack and moving 2 smaller ones and then sorting all my thread. It was worth it.2018 Household Purge/De-clutter Challenge-20181128_122046_1543466018272.jpg

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The trash finally got picked up, along with recycling. Amazon season has started. I don't know what DH ordered but it looks like we are getting a package a day for the next week. The recycle bin is already half full, DH is much better these days about tossing the old packaging.

I could not find the right size box to mail out a gift so I grabbed a knife and cut down a larger one. It came out nice, IMO.

Love the thread racks! I wish I had room for one of those big ones. I just don't have any walls to hang one on. Mine is about 8x8, which is way more thread than I need. I think for my next big quilt I am going to try using up a few spools.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I expect thread inventory to drop over time. But I realized a long time ago I do a lot of sewing where matching thread doesn't matter, so I can use big cones I pick up cheap. But I also realized over ghe past week I will need to match thread if I get back into sewing more decorative projects and clothing. So I will probably need more thread colors and will probably pick up more in big, cheap packages when I find them.

I have no wall space in my sewing room either, except behind the door. All the doors in this house are less than 4" from adjacent walls, so I can only put narrow stuff behind them. Luckily the thread racks just barely fit.

I had outgrown the 3 thread racks I had before I bought the new one, and had spools stacked between the rows in some places, so I guess it was time for an expansion.

I'm hoping to avoid Amazon season this year, for the most part.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I've been getting the big cones cheap at quilt shows, and I use those for the top thread. Just looking quickly I can see ~5 small spools where the core of the spool is showing, and I can spin those onto bobbins and clear some space for thread I have in bags. Just need the time to sew. Not happening this week.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a ton of thread on big cones, and a bunch of serger cones, too. I go through miles of thread when I sew DfG stuff
    especially on the serger . I coordinate dark thread on shields, not so much match them, so have some leeway there. For the serger, I mix colors when I make liners so I don't have to have enough to match. That way, I can use cheaper serger thread from GW. Serger thread is $4/cone at JA and it takes 4 cones to thread my serger, so any way I can cut costs helps.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I gave away about 5 bags of clothing/books/bric-a-brac to the Vets. We still have to recycle my exercise bike. I will try one more time to post it on Craigslist to see if someone else wants to recycle it. It's a bit of a drive to get there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I gave more of my jewelry away. Before my last move I sold most of it and only kept pieces passed down or nice pieces received as gifts. I was never into jewelry.

Just for laughs but a true story. When my ex-husband proposed to me he wanted me to pick out a diamond ring myself because he really didn't know what I liked. I asked him to pay off my car instead....joking. He did! Then I supported him for the next seven years LOL
    Kim
    The Lord will provide

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

lol at least you got something! my bil hasn't worked for 20 some odd years ..doesn't volunteer do housework... no kids no disability but my sister seems to be happy with the arrangement. drives my mom nuts. he has two degrees but he is better then us lol

bought 3 bags/boxes to value village, donation for hampers and sally ann so that stuff is out of the house as of tomorrow night. the stash of gift stuff going down. sat we will be giving a movie screen to a friend, gift mug and blankets for the non profit he works at. the dining room table is full. went though the file cabinet with all the old manuals and some paperwork. 3/4 quarters gone and I can put paperwork in there now. still have many more places to clean out but one sm area at a time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Gave my mom some glass bowls I don’t use have a box of things for donation. There’s a thrift store close to my workplace, so I jus have to bring it with me someday.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Donation pick up coming Tuesday, I have 6 boxes and a bag of clothing so far. Hubby STILL won't part with golf clubs he has never used (his dad's). He found 2 empty boxes in my trash from equipment he bought (insists on saving the empty boxes.) Fortunately he did not start arguing over the empty boxes.

After 1.5 hours of work, I shifted contents of 1 storage rack to other racks. I am hoping the disassemble the empty rack to gain more floor space. I found more train stuff and boxed it to ship to hubby's nephew who already got 3 boxed of train stuff a few weeks ago. Progress.......

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

One more fish tank and stand gone, and the old humidifier (which we put back into its original box). There were a couple boxes of random stuff, too. Every little bit helps.

Dlr, if your DH needs to save boxes, can they be opened and flattened to save space?

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Now that my Christmas Party is over, I gave away all the platters and Christmas plates along with the leftover food. My goal for this week is to re-organize my master bedroom closet and purge it of anything I will no longer use. It won't be hard because I've pretty much kept up with it during the year.
    Kim
    The Lord will provide

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I only found a few things to put in the GW box, but I haven't been trying very hard lately.

I've been working through some of the stuff in my sewing room in the form of quilts. I finished a Lone Star quilt last week, which I started 20 or so years ago. On that project, I used up 10 yards of additional fabric for borders and backing and 2 old blankets I used for batting, plus of course the star I had already made and the backing background fabric for that. I'm working on a couch quilt for a gift now and using more supplies.

I also found 3 plastic file boxes that fit perfectly into a cabinet in my sewing room. I'm organizing quilting supplies into that space now, which is a big help.

I do plan to do more purging, just distracted at the moment.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Since i never felt like getting out today i shredded up a bunch of papers out of file cabinet i didn't realize i had got so far behind on getting rid of papers still got more to do.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789