2018 Household Purge/De-clutter Challenge
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default 2018 Household Purge/De-clutter Challenge

I'm shamelessly plagiarizing this thread from NikoSan, who started it for 2016. I didn't find it for 2017, so I hope you don't mind, Niko. All credit for the idea goes to you.

This challenge is for anyone interested in decluttering and/or purging all or part of your home in 2018. No specific rules apply, so you may choose to do a general fling (though why anyone would want to fling a general, I'm not sure ) or keep track of what you've divested of with the aim of dumping 2018 items, or using any other downsizing goal you may have. You may set a goal for the year, for a specific area of your home, for the number of items you want to get rid of, for an amount of time you'd like to use for your challenge, or any other way you choose to measure your progress.

Feel free to join in anytime and share your goals and accomplishments. We love before and after pictures, but that's not a requirement. It's encouraging to see progress others make, as well as share our own additions to our personal tah-done lists!

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Went through the plastics cupboard and sorted all the lids and containers. Matched all containers to a lid and the rest went in the recycle.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DVD's, a frying pan, knives, Christmas decorations, and cat toys.

My BF wants to sell his play station and games.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I haven't been drastically dumping stuff yet, in part because our snow guys have buried our utility trailer and we don't have any space for trash at the moment. I have been tucking stuff into a box for Goodwill a little at a time though, and have been mentally targeting certain areas for a significant purge.

I've also been working on a work table in our family room. I built it from two spare base cabinets we have, which have provided more storage. I also built new shelving to put on the back of the base cabinets to use for storing canned goods both from stores and from home canning. I'm still moving into that, having just finished it up recently.

Our spare bedroom is a disaster area and it's on the hit list for a major purge. I have been sort of looking for a tall cabinet of some kind to go into a particular corner of that room, without any luck finding anything. But we do have a shorter cabinet available that I've been planning to get rid of. I decided this morning instead of getting rid of that, I'm going to add open shelves on top of it. That will probably be a summer project, though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A pot, cutlery, beauty products, old medicine, and a beanie.

My blow dryer died. I rarely used it, so I bought a travel sized, foldable blow dryer. Our bathroom closet is too narrow for a regular sized blow dryer, and I never found a good place to store it.

I'm waiting for warmer weather to declutter our shed. I know we have old stuff we don't use in there.
    Last edited by Tine; 02-16-2018 at 05:45 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do that kind of thing all the time, Tine. I buy smaller stuff in anticipation of either needing it now or needing it in the future when I expect we'll be in a smaller house.

I've been sorting more cookbooks to get rid of. I purged three or four boxes last fall but bought quite a few to help in our adjustment to healthier eating. Now I don't have space on my bookshelves because the first purge was to clear an entire shelf for another purpose. I think I'll be able to get rid of enough so I can put all of them away again though. I have to. It's been a huge help to me to have a finite space for cookbooks. It really makes me more selective when I buy, and it helps me get rid of stuff I'm not using. I'm able to have them all organized and immediately accessible when I want to look at them, which is so much better than the chaos I had before. NEVER going back!

I'm waiting for warmer weather here too, so we can get back to working on our garage purge/declutter/reorganization.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I tried to divest myself of a small bread machine cookbook yesterday, but that didn't work. They're similar and have some duplicate recipes, but are different enough I want to keep both of them. Luckily they're small magazine-type cookbooks so don't take much space, which they already have allotted.

I tossed another phone today. We've dumped four or five old phones in the past week and will be getting a brand new set of fancy shmancy phones from this century today. Can't wait to test drive the Bluetooth. I hope they work well because I'm sick and tired of being thrown back into the olden days of having only one working phone in the entire house and cabin. I expect we'll still have to rewire the cabin phone, in spite of the claims made about the new phones. And come to think of it, the office phone needs to be tossed, too. It's from WM and never has worked right, and I've put up with it for years. WHY?

I've been slowly boxing up items, mostly from the kitchen, for a while now and have about two boxes I need to repack so they fit and get those out of here to GW. And I boxed up a package for the charity I sew for, so that stuff will be leaving soon too.

I spent some time the other day putting stuff away in the sewing room. Not much purging to do there since I recently did a major purge and reorganization in there, but it's good to put a halt to the clutter creep in there. I hate having my work spaces in there full of stuff to the point it becomes a major chore to do anything.

I made a pocket for our new treadmill, to store all the little accessories and manuals so they're not in the way in the beverage holders. That also decluttered some scrap fabric and other supplies out of the sewing room.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Still working on going through the photo albums. I had a big plastic tote downstairs full of them as well as some on a shelf in our foyer closet. The ones in the plastic tote are all done and working on the ones upstairs. I have just been shoving them in envelopes and will still have to get some photo boxes to store them in. This will take up such little space. I have put the photo albums in a box for SA.

I have finally (after a year) got my closet down to how I want it. Now I'm following the one in, one out rule. I don't think I have ever had so few clothes but yet I feel like I have so much more to wear! I finally got rid of all those "maybe I'll wear this one day" clothes.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.[FONT=Arial Black][/FON

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

While going through a box of junk looking for the manual for my range I realized I need to cull a lot of old paperwork for appliances we no longer own.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

CH, you reminded me that I still have to go through our file cabinet and de-clutter. Ugh, I hate dealing with paperwork so I guess this is why I saved the worst stuff for last. I never replaced our printer when it died 4 years ago because I hate paper clutter and I seem to generate a lot. I have survived this long without a printer so I guess I don't need one.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.[FONT=Arial Black][/FON

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

All my pictures are now digital. I'm sending the originals to my brother's daughter in case she wants to have them or pass them on.

I donated all the rest of my work clothes and some sneakers that no longer work for me.

I gave away some pots and pans that work on induction cook tops. My new condo isn't as high end as the last one so back to a ceramic top. The other pots and pans were very heavy.

I sent some cousins some of my gold, silver, and other jewelry. I never wear it and I'd rather make sure the right people are getting it.

Gave away a surround sound system in trade for some work on my televisions and computers.
    Kim
    The Lord will provide

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That's a good idea about the pics, Kim. We ended up throwing out a huge box of pics from my ILs because we had no idea who was in the pics or if they were even related to us, and there is no one to ask anymore.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is also a way to declutter a closet

Our cat opened it and pulled my BF's old games into her litter box during the night.

2018 Household Purge/De-clutter Challenge-img_20180309_080533253-600x800.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hahahaha! Maybe she was trying to tell you something!

Today I modified a shelf by adding 30+ hooks to it, to replace the 12 hooks we currently use to store dog gear. I don't have it installed yet since that's a job best done by two people, but it's going to go a long way toward organizing the dog gear better.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here's the shelf, all installed and organized. I like it much better. Stuff hangs flatter against the wall now, in a space that is less than three feet wide, so even a couple of inches more clearance matters.

This is the mess we had before:

Today I boxed up three good-size boxes including a box of dishes I've been wanting to get rid of for ages, but couldn't till I found good replacements, which I found about a week ago. The other two boxes contain clothes, kitchen stuff, and cookbooks. Husby loaded it all off to drop off at GW tomorrow, so that stuff is out of here now.

I also got two more boxes ready to be shipped, so those will be gone now along with their contents, which is stuff I've sewed for charity and for a friend.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast