2020 House Purge / Declutter Challenge - Page 6
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Anna43 View Post
    A number of years back I was buying totes like crazy to organize and store stuff. I had a light bulb moment when I decided enough was enough no more totes. Recently I emptied two totes but now they are full again, but I'm not buying any more. I got new flooring in two rooms earlier this year and had to move everything out. Not everything went back in however. I am now left with to the master bedroom closet to empty and sort. I know I have a lot of clothing that should be donated or tossed. I'm a prepper so always want to be sure I have "enough" should the SHTF and I not be able to buy replacements, but there are (or need to be) limits!!

I have three adult kids and at some point I told each of them to come and get their stuff or I was getting rid of it. Youngest dd moved and stored stuff here, but its been here way too long so she's going to get that message again soon. Dd#1 has a large scrapbook here that she told me to get rid of, but I hesitate to do so since it has her high school, college and years as a nanny stuff that she might regret losing. I should dismantle the scrapbook, box up her memories and mail them to her.

My largest much postponed sorting out are boxes and boxes of pictures. I know I need to go through them and either make sure they are identified on the back or throw them away. I started to do that but have so many of ds who everyone hates and I can't bear to throw them away even though I know my dd's will do so when I'm gone. I inherited several scrapbooks of pictures from my mother-in-law. I went through them and asked my dh who the people were and often he had no clue. He's since passed away so there is no one left to identify them so I eventually tossed them. I offered the scrapbooks to my brother-in-law but he wasn't interested because he didn't have a clue either. One find was a picture of dh's grandfather with his first wife that I sent to a cousin that was a descendent of them. I got the nicest letter back saying he'd seen pictures of his grandmother but never owned one and was so happy to have it. I have a collection of pictures of four of dh's cousins who are all now deceased that I'd like to send to their children, but do not know any of them. I hate to discard them because I feel they might be greatly appreciated by their descendants. Which is why that project never seems to get off the ground!!
    lol reminds me of my old neighbour who moved a couple of years ago. Housing prices had doubled here and she said all her girls were long gone out of the house. just raising her 10yr old granddaughter. She said this bedroom full of boxes of this kid, that one that kid..one had moved in and out a couple of times. she wasn't even allowed to get rid of baby toys like cozy coupes when the youngest was 5 and living w dad. so she said why am I going broke paying for a house w bills when I can sell it, buy a nice condo 2 bedroom for her and granddaughter..no extra chores and plenty of money to travel etc. no mortgage too. there was a lots of yelling when they had to come get their stuff. and lots of stuff for free in the alley

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

pictures..yes the ongoing project.. mine too inherited a bunch, have ours plus a box of slides. plus digital too! always a goal to make picture books too. at the moment just put them in the hope chest of mils ..need to get them out of frames to downsize. plus all the pictures we sent relatives have come back to us since they passed. so all the extras to be gotten rid off.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a lot of dishes, glasses, crystal, bowls, etc. My daughter says she doesn't want any of my "junk"....my son's wife won't let him take anything because it isn't from her family....nice, I know....so, I have many young friends who are just starting out and I have been giving them "nice" things....told husband to call the auctioneer in and auction it all off....

As for pictures, I wrote what I knew, asked everyone in family if they knew, and if no one had a clue, I trashed them...

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yes I hear you.. sigh not in that stage of life yet so fingers crossed. I know kids won't want my stuff but none is heritage. pictures have gotten dh 2nd cousin to look at since she is into family history and knows a lot of them. She is from bigger side of the family that dh doesn't know much of or his family hung with cus his dad sister was a piece of work and a few kids didn't fall far from the tree. so just started reconnecting with the younger generation.

so I have given her some old ones we got from of mil when she passed we never saw before, she loves them. a whole album of pics of her and fil young too that would have been nice for his service to show. I am keeping things the kids don't realize they may want later like jewelry. mil wedding dress so tiny lol no one fits it but you could alter it. of course more the surprise that she was that tiny then..not a small women short but not small. would be a cool vintage tea dress all gathered tulle.

and too bad sil has stuff that really she has no kids so just would be ours kids who it would go to but she is not part of our lives for good reasons. but such is life. ah the big to do list of life lol pictures, collections, crafts stuff.... told dh if I died he can sell my yarn for funeral expenses lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I cleaned the china cabinet....gave two huge boxes away....now to attack the shelves in living room with my collection of stemware....have to decided which ones I'm keeping and what I'm giving away....hopefully it won't be too hard....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I will finish getting main floor bathroom ready to paint this week. Closet is full of hubby's stuff, I will have to nag to get him to go thru it. Old VHS tapes, papers and stuff like that. Worst case I will box it up and take to his basement workshop. There is just wooden shelving in there. It would be nice to have some pull-out drawers or organizers and a couple hooks for hanging things. Our laundry room closet is really small and it would be nice to move some things into the bathroom closet (broom, mop, etc.)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

lol sounds like my hubby but if he wouldn't move it.. I just put it in his office ..he did complain and finally stopped after clearing out and moving his mom.... realized having stuff mixed up everywhere is a pain and prevented people from doing things even him. computer/tools etc all over and also finding stuff. We have lots of stuff just in logical places..kitchen in kitchen etc.

started a new box for thrift store, have box/bag going for library for donations..one day! new books. gave the adding machine rolls to my sister for work. more vhs tapes in the same place I have to go though too. behind hidden doors lol

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

DH got rid of some stuff at a city collection event over the weekend. All by himself with no complaining. I think there is a lot of junk he does not want to move back into the house now that he's had it out in the trailer for a couple months. He sees how nice it is without piles of crap everywhere.

We have city-wide collection again in 2 weeks. Anything in a bag they'll take.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dh and his brother are getting a large dumpster. We'll be cleaning out the garage. Dh said he's just throwing stuff out. He saves pvc pipe and pieces of wood, thinking he may need it and often he has gone to that pile and used different things for projects. But he said it's time to clear it all out. I think I'll head to the basement and start purging that stuff. I have a few items we used for weddings that I think I will see if anyone from church wants them. I'd sell them, but I don't want to deal with people. I'll just try to find them new homes. The table cloths, I'll see if the church can use them. If not, I'll offer those too. Time to clear out that stuff. Weddings are done here. At least for me, they are. If ds marries again, I'm not doing anything. I'll go through the games and see what I want to keep and if ds wants any. If not, they are going. My Hallmark ornaments, I may try selling the ones I don't want to keep. I have tubs of those things. Most of the ones I'm currently using will go to dgd if she wants them. The toys in the shed, if the boys don't want them, then I'll find a collector.

It's time to downsize. I was looking at houses on zillow. They neighbor's house just sold. It's so cute. There is hardly anything in there and looks wonderful. Time to declutter this mess.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Took about 20 books to Better World Books drop this morning. Fortunately the bins still open and not full. I was able to consolidate 1 box of stuff in the storage room. Still waiting for hubby to empty bathroom closet so it can be painted. I wonder how long I will have to wait for that. I do have empty cardboard boxes he could use.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Arrived home and hubby is painting primer where the wallpaper was. The instructions say the primer has to "cure" 5-7 days. Surprise. I see he bought banker's boxes - that means he is just going to put all the closet junk in boxes and not sort through it. Sigh. You see why I secretly go through his storage boxes and get rid of stuff. Really old magazines etc. At least the bathroom is getting painted this month....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Today went through 2 boxes of hubby's parents' stuff, a lot to throw out/shred. Consolidated into the 1 smaller box. 1 box gone!!!! I will take every little bit of progress I can.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dh filled the back of his truck yesterday and drove it to the dumpster. Easier than making many trips on foot. The dumpster is next door. Lots of empty boxes, bags and packaging. A few other things here and there so far. He didn't get to work in the garage yesterday because he got called back to work. He's trying to come home early today and get some more done. I think I'll talk him into getting rid of my uncles record collection. There really wasn't anything there that anyone would want. That would clear a lot of space in the basement. I could use the room for storing more paper towels or toilet paper. I think I'm going to turn the end table I got from him into a lego table. It's a two level table, that people cut an opening in the top and drop a basket in to hold the legos, then glue the large lego mats to the bottom part. I'll give it to ds for the girls to play legos on. Maybe that will be a birthday or Christmas present this year. One day, I'm going to pull our bucket of legos out and put everything back together and bag it with the instructions. That would be a nice relaxing activity for me. I have a ton of beanie babies. I may see if the police department wants them. There are a few I'll keep and give some to dgds. So much to do. My children will thank me one day, when they don't have to clear this junk out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I find burning it all in the bbq handy lol faster and easier then shredding and no evidence..dh can't complain.. because he doesn't want the job of getting rid of old bills. in the charcoal bbq. we can't have fires here so no fire pit.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by jettsmom View Post
    Dh filled the back of his truck yesterday and drove it to the dumpster. Easier than making many trips on foot. The dumpster is next door. Lots of empty boxes, bags and packaging. A few other things here and there so far. He didn't get to work in the garage yesterday because he got called back to work. He's trying to come home early today and get some more done. I think I'll talk him into getting rid of my uncles record collection. There really wasn't anything there that anyone would want. That would clear a lot of space in the basement. I could use the room for storing more paper towels or toilet paper. I think I'm going to turn the end table I got from him into a lego table. It's a two level table, that people cut an opening in the top and drop a basket in to hold the legos, then glue the large lego mats to the bottom part. I'll give it to ds for the girls to play legos on. Maybe that will be a birthday or Christmas present this year. One day, I'm going to pull our bucket of legos out and put everything back together and bag it with the instructions. That would be a nice relaxing activity for me. I have a ton of beanie babies. I may see if the police department wants them. There are a few I'll keep and give some to dgds. So much to do. My children will thank me one day, when they don't have to clear this junk out.
    I think giving it to a thrift store or whatever is handy in your area would be great. people are always going though records here in thrift stores.. esp now that records have come back w younger generation.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast