2020 House Purge / Declutter Challenge - Page 8
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I get lots of free magazines and used to bring them to the gym and leave them there since there are racks for them. The gyms won't accept them anymore, so they do get recycled. I just wish this virus was over so they could be read by more people.

I went online to ThredUp to get a free box to send items to them..They're saying it will take 3+ months to start the process....How disappointing. I have the donation truck coming next month and refuse to hang on to stuff for 3+ months.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

rugerro ... Usually by the the time I get magazines they have already been well read. I do pass any new ones that I get, on to others in the building I live in but a lot of those that I get - I recycle but not in the usual way. I go through them and look for pictures and words to use in my art and also many of the pretty pictures (especially the floral ones!) and I cut those out and use for making a postcard to send to the elderly.

I do hate that after I use them, what I don't need or cut out has to be thrown away but around here where I live, we don't have any place to take paper recyclables though I wish there were. Where I live at, we have to recycle cans, glass and plastic containers but nothing else. For quite a long time we could put coregulated cardboard in our recyclables dumpster but then a few months ago they stopped that.

Have an awesome day! 😀

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dh has a new pile of junk to dispose of. He's been organizing the garage. Last night he said he's going to get all of his tool together and organized and then the rest will go in the trash. We're finding things we haven't seen in years. I'm not sure why we kept old car parts.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I gave three end tables to the lady who cleans my house. I've had them for 20 years but they were in great shape and she has always admired them.

Getting ready to sell my TV I don't use. It's mounted in the kitchen.
    Kim
    The Lord will provide

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think it is out of sight out of mind and always something more urgent to do with cleaning things like garages. once every few years thing. I know happens here! can't even blame dh for all of it lol. that sucks no paper recycling.

at least the stuff in my trunk is gone that has been kicking around and the new stuff. a bit of everything. will worry about a new batch later. realized the guy doing the kitchen has little kids so asked him if he wanted the plastic sandbox w lid. can use it as a little pool too. so perfect for him and he is taking it.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett_Kaye View Post
    Where I live at, we have to recycle cans, glass and plastic containers but nothing else. For quite a long time we could put coregulated cardboard in our recyclables dumpster but then a few months ago they stopped that.

Have an awesome day!
    Goodness! If we could not put paper or cardboard in the recycling, our bin would be empty every week.

Right now I'm looking for a way to get rid of the plastic shopping bags. Used to be bins at the grocery store, then some stopped taking them. Now with covid, nobody is accepting them for recycling. We're not supposed to put them in our own recycle bin. I can't re-use them. I can't burn them. It's a huge amount of waste.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Martha, our tree guy took our pool table. We were so happy to be rid of it. Bet your kitchen guy's kids will like the sandbox.

CH, we use cloth bags to avoid the mass of plastic ones, and only switch back to plastic when we run low on them for trash and stuff. Although we ran out during the first lockdown so now we're not using cloth bags, and hoarding up plastic ones to use through winter. The irony.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD, with covid restrictions we can't use any kind of cloth or re-usable bags here. You can't even go into a store with one. I have seen people stopped and told they can't bring them in. Normally I keep a few of the sturdy re-usables in my car, but for the past few months I've had to accept plastic.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Aldi was restricting reusable bags a couple months ago here, but not when we were there a couple weeks ago. People are getting lax. I don't know if Aldi was the only one or not. I don't think it's mandated here. We did use our bags in the store because it was pouring rain that day, so we couldn't take the cart out and load directly into the truck. Our bags hadn't been used since February so we knew they weren't contaminated before the store, and they went immediately into the washer when we got home. I do hate plastic bags as a rule, but we're not getting as many as we would if we were still grocery shopping once a week, and using plastic every week. Our plastic bag needs at home are the same, so I don't mind having more on hand going into winter when we're hoping to be able to stay home more and get groceries once a month or less.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I live in an apartment building that has 63 apartments in it so due to that, we can guarantee that we'll never have an empty recyclable bin (or trash dumpster either as far as that goes. )

I too, at the present time am well stocked up on plastic store bags and then some. The only thing I use them for (after bringing groceries home, of course!), is to put garbage in them to take out to the dumpster. I'm wishing I could find another place to store the extras as right now they're taking up an extra kitchen drawer that I don't have to spare. (In a one bedroom apartment, there's not that many extras spaces to put stuff, ya know?! )

I haven't heard of not being able to use the cloth shopping bags due to the pandemic but maybe they had the same rules here and I just didn't know about them. I do have several but most times don't think of taking them when I do go.

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    Goodness! If we could not put paper or cardboard in the recycling, our bin would be empty every week.

Right now I'm looking for a way to get rid of the plastic shopping bags. Used to be bins at the grocery store, then some stopped taking them. Now with covid, nobody is accepting them for recycling. We're not supposed to put them in our own recycle bin. I can't re-use them. I can't burn them. It's a huge amount of waste.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hmm, well ... in the post I just put on here, if you see a bunch of little diamond shapes with question marks in them, it's due to my having used smiley faces from my laptop and I guess this system didn't recognize them. Oopsy! lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

here you couldn't use your own bags or even put a bag on that area..like I had gone across the street.two lane small to library picked up my holds in a new paper bag ..they had it to you at table outside then ..went across to grocery store..put it down and they are nooo.. but now they are charging for plastic again so they can't say anything. some went back to letting you bag your stuff in cloth bags. safeway I think..they won't pack it for you like before. other places you had to bag your own stuff either way. We just use them for trash in bathroom etc and for cat box cleanup. plus hang off kitchen door knob for the recycables..full go in to blue bin on porch for someone to take out back to big bin. i know not suppose to go in there but the city charges more and more and does less each year. now they are taking away the recycle center where you can bring green stuff too big or much for house bin, Styrofoam etc. saying you can go to other place in diff city. which is not in a area easy to get too by bus etc. bus fare is about $6 to $8 two ways. plus more driving so how is that enviro friendly..but they have their pet project w the new pool etc. doesn't matter what people think.

if I get too many, I did give more to my mom since she had a lot of cats at one point but now doesn't need them. not many places here took them back and then said only their store bags. so most use them for trash or places like sm thrift store that use them for shoppers.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I do use the plastic sacks to line small trash cans, like bathroom, sewing room and laundry, but only a few get used each month. I used to take a few with me to Aldi and leave them for others to use, but can't do that now. Got rid of extra non-woven bags we had, promotional bags with ads, left them in the shopping cart at Aldi and never saw them again.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Apparently you can make "plarn" (plastic yarn) from the bags. It says you can use it with any regular yarn patterns.
    https://pin.it/5OgZ7hc
    I've seen rugs made that way. People say they last quite a while and are easy to wash.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The coolest thing I saw was constructing rope from plastic bags (presume braided strips or knotted loops) and then the ropes were knotted into a hammock. I know you can fuse them with a hot iron into sturdier sheets (specific technique - research before attempting). They show the results made into nicer tote bags and so on. Something large like a car/trunk mud mat could be useful.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast