Gift Closet challenge - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    guest7
    Tourist

I'm in for the challenge. I'll go through my closet where I put gifts and see what I've got. Not much. But it's a start.
    Haven't bought anything yet. I'm on a financial diet.
    But I'll keep you posted.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had a storage box that I has been putting some things in all year. I had never done that before. It still has a few things in it.

I used some of the stuff at Christmas. I want to do this all year and have most of the shopping done by birthdays and holidays.

there is a couple of friends children that always have birthday parties in August. I always buy early for them. I can get fall clothes/toys for rock bottom prices right now and I put them up for their birthdays. They and there mom have always loved what we got them and always thinks we spent way more than we did

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm in. I make most of my gifts though. My current gift box is full of things that are too young for the people I have to give to. They just seemed to collect there over the years. Maybe giving them to charity is a good idea. I'm waiting for grandchildren, grandneices and grandnephews though.

Other gifts are nice, but not suited to the people I have to give them to.

Here's what I have:

A teddy bear
    A linen dishtowel
    A bright coloured child's scarf
    3 children's balaclava hats - handknit
    A handknit hat - might do for a teen
    Lots of tempera paint blocks
    5 homemade ponytail holders
    2 children's size handknit headbands
    An audio copy of "Knowing God" by J.I. Packer
    A cookbook from Nfld.
    5 copies of "A Prairie Alphabet"
    A book to enter your family tree in
    A picture frame
    A small wooden toy train
    A votive candle and candle holder
    Antibacterial hand gel in small individual size
    "The Brothers Grimm" - The Complete Fairy Tales
    Freud "The Interpretation of Dreams"
    "Hans Christian Andersen" - The Complete Fairy Tales
    Plato "Republic"
    Herodotus "Histories"
    Aristotle "The Nicomachean Ethics"
    Horace "The Odes"
    Kenko "Essays in Idleness"
    Rousseau "The Confessions"
    "Tao te ching"
    Erasmus "Praise of Folly"
    Nietzsche "Thus Spake Zarathustra"
    "The Works of Alexander Pope"

Right now I'm working on a crazy quilted potholder for my gift box.

Jean

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

After I came overbudget for my gift shopping this Christmas (even though it was still significantly less than last year's), I decided to start a gift closet as well for the coming year.

I do have to confess that the only couple of things that I have there so far are gifts that were given to me/us that we don't really have much use for. I figure that instead of having them clutter our home, I can pass them on to someone who will appreciate and use them more. I know that to some, regifting is a no-no, but I just hate having something sitting around in my house unused and collecting dust. So I hope to give these items to someone who will get more enjoyment out of them.

I will also keep an eye out for items on sale and clearance that could be possible gifts for people I know for next Christmas. I've set aside a portion of our budget for gifts for each month, so I'll plan to use it throughout the year to build up our gift closet.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like this idea. Definately going to be doing this year round. Adding to siggy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm in Sara,
    I have nada so far but will be looking for stuff today or Monday whichever day I get to go shopping.
    I am getting a big tote and putting stuff in it under the bed in the small room. No one goes near it but me...
    I have 3 graduations this year besides.
    My neice and the by friends daughter both need stuff for college and the boy will get a gift meant for a young man not a ten year old like his mom gets.
    This will help me focus......

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I need to stock up on items for the Samaritan shoebox our church does at Christmas. I also need to stock up on handmade gifts I give people. I'm starting this month as soon as I get my sewing room clean.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

count me in!. I had a really good gift box this year but its pretty wiped clean now!, I found it really handy just before xmas as a lot of Ciaras friends had birthadays at that time - would have cost me a fortune if I hadnt already squirreled things away!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I will need to replenish at some point. The last few gifts I have in there are specifically for my neice, who's birthday is the 15th, and Julia's best friend, who's party is the 21st. I bought the last two gifts with them in mind.

I earned a $10 Target Gift Card from mypoints.com and a VERY sweet person sent me a $5 Target Gift Card as well. If I can't find any baby items that I need, I may use these to purchase clearance items to use as gifts for the closet.
    Blog: http://amysreallife.com

Amy
    Wife to
    Mommy to 4
    Public School Teacher

Mortgage - $377,836.63

Always remember others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself."

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There's a discount store I like near the beach - 45 minutes away. Last summer I bought a bunch of stuff to give out at kiddie birthday parties we get invited to. A Lego game (for $7 - it was worth it just for the cool parts), art stuff - gel pens, kits, wooden parts that you glue together to make models etc. I also pick up my tub of fingerpaint - this year they had purple, last year blue. I take the kids there once a year - my son picked up a lego kit he really likes.
    Sometimes on long rainy stretches or when daddy is away for work, I pull out a surprise for the kids.

I bought a whole bunch of cheap hot wheels cars once - I ended up giving them away at the hospital when my daughter was there - lots of bored little sick kids.

I just make sure the stash doesn't get too big.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When my son had his birthday party, I couldn't believe that all these parents ran to Target/KBToys and bought him stuff the day before. Plus they spent in my opinion way too much and bought him all these $10 to $20 toys, plus they dragged their kids to the store and you could sooo tell, that their kids told their mother what to buy my son. When the parents asked me, I suggested much cheaper things. And the one parent who followed my suggestion added multiple things to it. Nevermind my son's birthday is near Christmas. Only one parent shopped from her gift closet - I knew cause she had told me a month before the great deal she found on a toy and that's what my son got from them

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This challege is something I try to do every year and would help us out again so I am in!! Right now I just bought like 10 of those Angelina books from American girl at about .66 a piece and they are nice, I also got a Angelina accessory set because my 6 year old has the doll and it was only 2.00. I also got my 6 year old done for Easter because she loves to cook. Gooseberry patch after Christmas had the kids cooking things 1/2 off. I got some pot and pans, baking set and apron for a total of 18.00. I still have a long way to go with 2 weddings this year on top of all the other holidays!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I will try this challenge... DH doesn't really like me to buy in advance, especially if it is "just toys"... But I think I can do a little here and there... Maybe he won't notice.... LOL.
    Bonnie mom to

DD Roari 23 who now has her Masters in Social Work!
    DS Craig 21 who is now looking for a good paying job
    DS Jared 20 who is now also looking for the allusive job
    DD Valory 14 who is now a freshman

Lord help me, I have 1 teenagers THREE ADULT KIDS !!!

Married to Lyndell for 24 years.

Avatar courtesy of me... Iris' I planted in my front yard a few years ago...[/FONT]

2014 Goals
    Cut down on all unnecessary things.
    Free is best.
    Get the garage completely cleaned out.
    Make the yards nice-weed, mow, plant, flowerbeds,etc.
    Stay home more/eat out less if at all.
    FIND A NEW JOB!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i'm in so far i have:
    10 lip gloss sets
    hand made pony tail thingies
    4 memory games i found at target clearanced to 1.18 today
    4 pairs of panties marked down to .50 each( these will go inthe girls's stockings next year)
    hmm can't think of anything else but i know there is more

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh yeah! I forgot the Angelina stuff that I bought!!! So, my gift closet is not totally depleted!
    Blog: http://amysreallife.com

Amy
    Wife to
    Mommy to 4
    Public School Teacher

Mortgage - $377,836.63

Always remember others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself."

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast