Time to Share My Shame and Move on To Our Extra Rooms
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Time to Share My Shame and Move on To Our Extra Rooms

Okay, if you have any extra rooms in your home, (other than the office), like a craft room, guest room, reading room, exercise room, junk room, etc., it's time to focus our energies there.

I have such a room in my house. It is the exercise room, soon to be sewing room, and storage room. There is an enormous closet in this room which will eventually be perfect for what I want to do with it. I just need to do it. Rob exercises on the bike every morning, but to be honest, the other two pieces of equipment are rarely used. I'm not ready to get rid of them yet, but I might be by summer.

Rather than tell you...let me show you.

The first shot is of the closet. You can see that my gift bags and boxes have run amok. Our electronic keyboard is out of the box, laying on top of it. We are (hopefully) going to be lending this out to a co-worker of Rob's for her daughter to use for piano lessons. We have a piano, so we don't need the keyboard. Julia enjoys pressing all of the different buttons, though, so I'm not ready to sell it. Happy to lend it out for the time being, though.

You can also see all of the hangers that I still have from my free hanger binge at OshKosh 3 years ago. I do use these, but think that at the garage sale, I can get rid of some of them.

I have some summer clothes hanging in the closet, along with some hand-me-downs that Julia doesn't fit into yet. These could be moved into her closet.

I have plans for this closet. We have an old dresser at my parents house that I'd like to put in there and use for storage. I want to organize my bags and boxes so they are easy to get to and nicer to look at. Our Christmas stuff is stored there, I just need to move it over to the left. The closet doors are broken, so I eventually want to get a wooden pole and either buy or sew curtains to use as a "door" that will be pretty and easy to pull back when I need to get in there.
    Blog: http://amysreallife.com

Amy
    Wife to
    Mommy to 4
    Public School Teacher

Mortgage - $377,836.63

Always remember others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself."

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Next, we have a view of the exercise equipment. Haven't made a decision yet, but do need to quit using this stuff as a storage space. The boxes near the healthwalker are my garage sale/consignment/donation boxes.

Amy
    Wife to
    Mommy to 4
    Public School Teacher

Mortgage - $377,836.63

Always remember others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself."

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Finally, we have the nook. This is one of the walls we had to completely knock down and replace when we moved in. The big wrapped present on the floor is a sewing machine my parents bought me for my birthday. I know what it is, haven't had time to get started using it, so it still sits wrapped in the corner.

My father-in-law is giving me my mother-in-laws sewing machine table. (She passed away when dh was 6.) I am going to put it in the nook and put my sewing maching on top of it. I hope to fit a little shelving unit or maybe hang shelves on the walls for notions and storage.

Amy
    Wife to
    Mommy to 4
    Public School Teacher

Mortgage - $377,836.63

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

So, as you can see, I've got LOTS to do! Maybe you do too!

Let's get started. For today and tomorrow, I just want you to go through and sort. Bring a garbage bag and a basket or another bag of some sort. Go through the room. Anything that is trash, toss it. Anything that does not belong in that room, place in the basket or other bag. When you've touched everything in the room, toss the trash and bring the other basket/bag through your home and put everything in the room where it goes. Don't just toss it there, though. Put it where it belongs.

There, see...I bet your room looks better already!

(I'll be doing this with you and taking pictures as I go.)

Amy
    Wife to
    Mommy to 4
    Public School Teacher

Mortgage - $377,836.63

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Alrighty then...apparently I'm all alone in this. (Which I refuse to believe. 13 people have viewed this so far...someone's gotta either be hesitant about posting or overwhelmed by their own clutter!)

So, I did the closet. Took a huge bag of trash out. I have one grocery bag of stuff that dh has to go through because it's all his stuff; nails, screws, etc. He said he'd either toss them or put them at the workbench in the basement tonight.

I feel so much better about this room now! And I'm not even close to being done!

Amy
    Wife to
    Mommy to 4
    Public School Teacher

Mortgage - $377,836.63

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

In a way that room looked strangely familiar to me - only my spare room is a bit more cluttered as it has more furniture in it!

So, tonight's the night, I shall lure DH upstairs... and then when he has recovered from his disappointment I shall hand him a trash bag and we will get rid of some junk as we listen to the soccer on the radio - I sure know how to treat a man right!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I promise to start the computer/playroom tonight when I get home from work at 6:30!! That's the only extra room in my house. We have two bedrooms, both being used!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Working on my clutter room (computer room/craft room?soon to be a nursery instead room) right now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DONE DONE DONE!!!!! One large garbage bag of old toys are out of there!! Lots of old paperwork in the fire!!! Thanks for making me do this!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We sorted lots paperwork last night and I did the thing that we never get round to doing - I got rid of all the small bits of stuff that you leave til last and then never get rid of them.

I just chucked them away - bits of pencils and pipecleaners and old business cards and just stuff that I never get rid of as I might use them but know deep down I'm not going to!

Tonight I have to make some mother's day cards and after that I shall sort my craft stuff that also now lives up in the spare room.

I still have an unassembled futon though!