My Christmas challenge - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ooooh look at all those yummie recipes and desserts. I think I'm going to hop on Santa's sleigh and come for a meal or two.

Great job Tina. I know you can do it.

I too have noticed the city getting busier and busier. On Sat. it was crazy. If we could only have Christmas w/o the rushing around, I think I'd enjoy it a whole lot more.

Tina Bob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks ladies!

CJ - Tell me when Santa's sleigh is due to arrive in BC and I'll have a hot meal and lots of goodies ready

Now that I've started making a plan, it's not so scarey. I did remember last night that I need to check dh's meds and make sure I have enough till mid-January. Yesterday I even picked up furnace filters. I told my family of my challenge and if they notice any necessities running low to tell me or write it down. If they don't they will have to buy it themselves and use their own money. That should make them listen

I need 6 cross stitch ornaments for gifts and by the end of today I will have the stitching part done. Then I'll need to put hangers on them and glue felt on the back. I still want to make a couple for myself but at least the gift ones will be done.

I need to knit 4 dishclothes; won't take much time while I'm watch a Christmas movie.

I've taken pictures of the dks to include in extented family gifts. I just need to figure out how many of each picture and take them to get prints. I'm planning on using the 48 hour developing to save a few dollars.

My nephew's family is travelling to my brother's house at the end of the month so I'm sending my brother's gift and my nieces gift with them to save on postage.

The gifts that include baking won't go out in the mail till around the 5th of December. Other gifts will be sent before that or maybe I'll wait and just hit the post office rush once. Yes, that sounds better.

More to come later......

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I second Margery. I wish I lived close enough to drop by at dinner time too! Your Menu sounds scrumptious! Mmmmmm. And the goodies! Your shortbreads sound heavenly. I just love shortbread and your raspberry poppyseed shortbread sounds lovely.

What a lucky santa.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You can do it Tina! Your menu plan and baking plan sounds yummy and fabulous!!!!!!!!

I'm doing something a little similar. It was my goal to be finished with baby needs shopping and Christmas shopping by Thanksgiving (Nov. 24th). We only lack a crib at this point and are holding out to see if one goes on sale starting this coming Sunday. If not, we're just going to have to go ahead and get one (have held off to this point because of the store return policies - # of days). I officially finished Christmas shopping for dh this morning and finished ds at the end of last week. Stockings have been started, but it's going to be hard to finish them by my goal time. I am still going to try though.

I wish I could stay out of the health food store/grocery stores after Thanksgiving, but I drink so much milk that it would be impossible. Thank goodness dh is good about running in for me with a list and coupons!

Tina Bob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks

Wouldn't it be fun to have Santa's sleigh pick you all up and bring you here for dinner

Kim, you're doing so well on your baby/Christmas shopping. I know you can finish it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Tina, I love reading about your challenge and your menu looks wonderful!

You are motivating ME! I am finally seeing the light! I made a list yesterday and have five stores to go to get everything I need. Tonight I will be going to two of them...The Party Store for my candy making chocolate and a few misc. items...and Healthy Living for several kinds of nuts, dried friuts and all natural peanut butter. Thank you for the motivation and can't wait to read more!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Strawberry,
    You seem like such a resourceful lady - I am cheering you on too! You will do great I am sure.

I am feeling exactly as you for several reasons myself - can I join you in your challenge? I do need to do a good shopping though first - we are really low on meats, but otherwise I think we could do well.

I don't want to jump on your thread, should I start another one if others want to join?

Thanks, Lylac

Tina Bob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

MIchele - I'm glad this has inspired you. I know you can do it

Lylac - I don't mind it you or anyone else joins me. The more the merrier You can add your thoughts and progress to this thread if you like or start your own. I don't mind either way. We can cheer each other on and learn from each other too.

Well, today I'm feeling nervous about this again. I can't believe I didn't take into consideration the fact that dh can not be left at home alone so I can shop. Taking him with me will cause other problems. We gets overwhelmed, can't deal with crowds, and if he needs to make a decision, he sometimes has a panic attack. On good days, I have left him over no longer then an hour and sometimes that works out ok and other times I come home to a very upset husband. Maybe I can ask a friend to take dh for coffee or something for a couple hours. I'll need to work on that.

Last night I finished my last cross stitch ornament and I finished one dishcloth.

Dd's birthday is tomorrow; her special dinner is tonight and cake tomorrow after she gets off work. Saturday I work at the Civic Elections all day. So, I probably won't get much done for the next few days.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Strawberry,
    Could one of your family members stay with dh? Yes, if one has anxiety, crowds & stores are not helpful with that (panic attacks). It would probably be more pleasant for both of you if someone could spend time with him.

Thanks for the invite!

Tina Bob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Lylac, my children's schedules are so busy that it's hard for one of them to stay with him. That would mean I'd have to shop either in the evenings or on the weekend. I avoid shopping on the weekend because of crowds and not all our stores are open in the evenings where I live. Some are some aren't. Keep your suggestions coming

I look forward to hearing about your progress

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Tina your doing great. When you get nervous, take a deep breath and count to 10. I know you'll find a way to do everything. I'm cheering you on!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I love your challenge, Tina. I hate going shopping on the weekends any time of the year, let alone at Christmas time when it's pure mahem

I try to get things done and out of the way for Christmas far ahead of time too. I used to have all my gift shopping done before Veteran's day. Now that i have kids to buy for and different financial obligations, I try to do it by Thanksgiving now. I hate crowds, so I hate shopping after that day.

Anyway, I am going to try to do some of the things you are doing. I need to shop every week (maybe every other week) because I don't have much of a stockpile. However, I want to do the following things from your list:

To be finished Christmas shopping for all gifts including stocking stuffers by Nov 30th. (Need to go to the mall for 1 more thing and to the drugstore for 2 more small stocking stuffers)

To plan all Christmas baking for us as well as all that will be used for gifts. (I can do this one, and I will try to use coupons/sales to buy any baking supplies that I need)

To make a list of all groceries needed till the end of Dec and all baking supplies and then shop and hide special items so family does not consume. (Hiding the items from family is a GREAT idea. I need to do this for Halloween candy too lol. I'm not sure why I never tried it for baking and party stuff)

You are doing great. I love your menu plan, and you are right on track with your goals

Tina Bob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks everyone!

CJ, I've notice that when I get nervous, I'm just overwhelmed. Like you said take a deep breath, relax and an option will come to my mind.

Michelle, I glad you're joining in. We all can cheer each other on.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Tina, I think this is a fabulous challenge. I really like your menu plan, lots of delicious meals there.

My problem is the opposite. We have summer holidays starting mid December and I always try to get my Christmas shopping done before then, but I keep putting it off again and again. I hate the thought of going to the mall. Blah! Your challenge has inspired me to set a date and get it over with. Thanks!

I hope you all enjoy DD's birthday dinner tonight. Happy birthday sweet 17. I'll be watching as you do your challenge, Tina, and I'll be cheering you on.

Tina Bob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

WOOHOO!!! After taking dh for some blood work we ran into two stores and I bought 2 gifts for our middle son and 1 for our oldest son. So now I'm finished ds#2, need one gift for ds#1, and 2 gifts for dd. And to top things off, I've been easily able to stay within my limit.

Early when I was out I bought stocking stuffers. I need one more thing for ds#2 and I'm finished ds#1 and dd. Dh and I need to decide it we're doing stocking for each other. The stocking will be smaller this year but they'll still be fun.

Considering our financial situation, I'm happy to be able to give each child 2 gifts and their stockings. Of course this would have been almost impossible if I hadn't been saving my toonies and loonies for the last 8 months. I had saved $148 See ladies, keep saving your change; it adds up quickly and mine REALLY came in handy.

I even bought dd's birthday gift

Now I better run and make dinner

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast