My Christmas challenge - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tina Bob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nov 21st - Time for another update…

I have finished my ornaments and just need to wrap them up once I get some family pictures printed.

Finished knitting one dishcloth, three more to go. Gee, I better get moving on those. My dad does the dishes in their house and he likes “man size” dishcloths so they take a bit longer to knit.

I’m done stocking stuffers for the children; I need one more for dh.

I checked my wrapping paper and I think I have enough. If not, I’ll make do. I have some old Christmas fabric so I could sew some gift bags. I don’t have any gift tags but again I’m not going to buy any. I'll make some; easy enough

Went grocery shopping this morning and spent $130. Before today’s shop I had spent $63 this month. I figure between the rest of the groceries I will buy before the end of the month, and the few items I’ll pick up on my one allowed shop just before Christmas, I will spend another $200. So, total spent for Nov and Dec should be about $393(Canadian). I think that’s reasonable considering the total will include a few special treats and baking items for Christmas. I was low or out of quite a few items. I needed laundry soap ($13 and will last 5 months), toilet paper ($18 and will last 6-7 weeks), and feminine products ($25 and will last two of us 2-3 months). Also, during Aug – Oct, I only spent $100 a month on groceries; that’s why I was low on many things and couldn’t put off buying them.

Tina Bob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

One more thing I was thinking about.

Considering everything that has happened during the last year in my life, I decided to treat myself during the month of December. I want to do something small for myself everyday. Now that will be a whole new challenge for me J A few ideas I have are, long, hot, bubble baths with candlelight, making time for reading (something I love but haven’t been able to do much of lately), taking a friend, who is having her own hard times, out for a favourite hot drink, sitting in the dark and listen to music, lay on my bed and listen to silence (this will need to be done when no one is home), drive and look at Christmas lights, sit with a cup of tea and look at old magazines, and watch a few movies that I want to see. Can you help me with more ideas?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Strawberry,
    How about time away at the local library or book store since you love to read? (I really enjoy that myself.)

You could also do a spa time for yourself - along with the bath, do the whole enchilada - hair conditioning, face mask, manicure and pedicure.

Buy yourself a few pieces of chocolate that you really love, and savor them.

If you enjoy crafting, you could also spend a little time doing this, or scrapbooking or any other hobby that you don't usually get time for.

Take care, Lylac

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Tina Bob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great ideas Lylac, thank you

How are you doing with your Christmas preparations?

I'll be updating mine tomorrow or Friday.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Strawberry,
    I am doing well, thank you. I have completed my shopping and all gifts are wrapped (I was done on the 18th). I am glad that I am done (this is a first for me) for several reasons. Having everything taken care of gives me a lot of peace.

I also have some baked items in the freezer. I did not accomplish this by going crazy...all I did was make extra and freeze when I was already baking. I have found that it's all so much easier if I just start earlier to prepare. I worked on everything a little at a time.

I may not post much more...but I'll be reading about you and everyone else and sending good wishes along the way.

I do still need to work on a grocery list for what is still needed, but other than that...things are good. And I have also decided pretty much to nix the Christmas cards this year and go with email cards instead. A lot more frugal and no paper to be thrown out.

Lylac

Tina Bob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nov 28th

I finished shopping for Christmas presents on Friday. I've never been finished this early before and boy does it feel good

I finished all the dishclothes I was knitting too.

Tomorrow I'll be going to one grocery store and Wednesday a different store and then I'll be finished buying food too. I will make one small grocery shop a few days before Christmas just for some fresh veggies, milk, eggs, and whip cream.

I've spent time trying to think of everything I'll need till January and time will tell how well I've done. I've even purchased ingredients for one unexpected dessert. It always seems that December brings surprise invitations and the request to bring something. I picked a dessert that all ingredients are non-perishable so if I don't need them in Dec I'll make it for ds' birthday in January as it happens to be his favourite.

Today I noticed I was out of light bulbs so I'll pick up a package tomorrow. I'll also be picking up all dh meds.

Now I need to work on making the fudge(for gifts) so I can get all the gifts in the mail. I'm hoping to have that done by Wednesday of next week.

I'm dreaming of a relaxing December

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good for you Tina!

I have to start my fudge and other candy making for gifts too. I have finished my Neice's crocheted poncho and I am still working on the fleece socks for everyone. I may have miscalculated and need a bit more fleece for a few more pair. I just keep going and hope I don't hit the wal!

Tina Bob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nov 30th

I've made my list and I've checked it more then twice

I'm done shopping Now it will be interesting to sit back and see if I've planned well enough. Time will tell.

I'll add up my grocery receipts to see if I've stayed on budget. I think I'm pretty close. I'll post that total later.

I will have to pick up one more precriptions for dh. He's on a new med and having some side-effects that should go away. I didn't want to fill the whole precription in case it had to be changed; so I will have to go to the pharmacy once but that's a quick in and out.

Tina Bob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I finally added up all my receipts and I'm over budget. I thought I was doing so well untill I found a receipt I had forgotten about.

I had figured I'd spend $200 and I actually spent $228. Not too much over; and I could blame dh has I ended up picking up a few items I wasn't planning on. He made some requests and I gave in

Oh well, my total grocery purchases equaled $421 and that's for two months. All I need to spend in December will be about $30-$40 for milk, eggs and fresh produce.

This weekend I'll be working on making the fudge for gifts and getting everything ready to mail next week.

Tina Bob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I forgot something

I was planning on doing something for myself everyday this month. The day did not go as planned because dh lost his balance and smashed into a corner of the wall and ended up breaking at least one rib. We spent a few hours waiting for the doctor and then xrays. I did make it to the library for half and hour and checked out some light reading and a few magazines to enjoy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congratulations for getting all of your shopping finished Tina! I'm sorry to hear about your DH's ribs. Ow! I hope he is feeling better soon!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Dec. 3rd - well the Christmas menu has been changed at least once and the grocery list revised. I have all the non-perishables in the house for the holidays.

I made the Christmas chocolates the other day and have packages all wrapped and ready to be mailed tomorrow.

Dh and I are doing Christmas cards tonight...to mail tomorrow.

Went to a craft sale yesterday and picked up a whole mess of gifts for company. Turns out we may have 9 extra people in the house over the holidays. We're stretching it to find frugal gifts. We don't normally exchange with this family, but other relatives are sending gifts here for them, and it's just plain going to look weird if we don't give them something.

I cashed in my Air Miles for gift certificates for a couple of gifts. Between this and the craft sale, I only have 2 more people to buy for. Yahoo! And my budget is great...only $275cdn. And most of that was an LL Bean order for dh's Christmas and birthday presents. I figured I may as well order them all at once.

Tomorrow we decorate the house...as soon as I find a way to clean it all up...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Dec. 5th - okay, the house is decorated and the Christmas cards mailed. Had to put a hold on mailing Christmas parcels. No brown wrapping paper and I need the car from dh to go get it. Will do that tomorrow.

Sorted through all the tree decorations and lights and determined what we need and what we can get rid of. Have a bag of stuff for the Salvation Army.

Christmas baking starts today! Dh helped me clean out the freezer last night to make room. I had a layer of jugs of water underneath a board in the freezer. Had to take the jugs outside to make room for Christmas fare.

The wedding dress is finished! Now onto the cloak and veil.

Jean

Tina Bob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Michele - How are your projects coming?

Jean - You're doing so well! You're sure one busy lady getting ready for your dd's Christmas wedding.

Dec 5th

Well, I'm not doing too well on getting things done. With dh hurting himself and unexpected company arriving on the weekend, my plans have been on hold.

This week should go better and I'll post as I get things done.

I have not gone into any stores for the past 5 days and it's been wonderful!

Tina Bob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dec 7th

Yesterday I made 5 different kinds of fudge, cut in up, and wrapped all the gifts for the mail. Today I took them to the post office.

Getting gift ready to mail is the part I dislike the most and I always put it off even though that bothers me. It feels soooooooo good to have that done and over with To celebrate I indulged in a white hot chocolate from a mix I had at home.

Now I can concentrate on wrapping the gifts to our kids and doing Christmas baking for us.

It's now been 7 days since I've been in any store (besides the post office). I have enough milk until the weekend so I'll be sending someone to pick some up. I'm fine for everything else. So far there hasn't been anything unexpected. Well, actually that's not quite true. Because dh broken some ribs, he's been going through more pain meds so I may need to get some more before the end of the month.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast