My Christmas challenge - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    Tina Bob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I’ve been meaning to update this thread. I wanted to keep record of my thoughts so I could refer back to this next Christmas.

I’m really happy with the outcome of my challenge. My ds picked up milk only twice during the month, once being just before New Years. I went grocery shopping only once as well, though I did stop at two stores to take advantage of the best prices. My total spending for groceries in December was only $34 Today is Jan 4th and I still haven’t been shopping yet; but I will have to soon.

For most items I planned well enough that there was no problems. I did have to put little stickers on my eggs that were accounted for in baking so no one would eat them. I got a few eyes rolling at me for that one. I think they thought I was taking it too far. I also hid certain items so they wouldn’t be consumed before there time. It’s amazing what you can hide under the veggies; no one knew.

I did run out of a two things unexpectedly but I made due. Again I had no problem with making due but dh and my teenagers were not to happy at times. One time they all wanted a menu change which included items I did not have on hand. I was able to list three different meals that I could make with what I had and they picked one they were very happy about. I didn’t want to just say no and not budge making them all unhappy with my challenge. This way they could learn to be flexible without always running out to the store. Thank goodness for my pantry.

I did have to go into a store one additional time to pick up more meds for dh. When I was making my plans I did know he would crack two ribs and need more pain meds. I guess no matter how much you plan, there’s always going to be the unexpected things to deal with.

Christmas was much more peaceful for me because of not shopping in December. I will definitely do this again next year. Not only did I save my sanity but I save dollars too.

One thing I would improve on is planning more OMAC meals. There were times when we were playing a family game and I needed to stop and make supper. Another time I was tired and didn’t want to cook but had to. For my own pleasure, next year I’ll make sure I have a few meals in the freezer. Things that would heat up quickly like burritos for example.

I also will NOT BAKE SO MUCH!!! My family might not be happy about this but we really not need it and I always end up with lots of baking in the freezer way after Christmas. I will still use up the baking but I don’t NEED to do so much. Maybe I’ll start in November and bake one special item a week. Then we’ll eat it and I won’t have so much abundance. My dd is very hung up on traditions but I need to think about what I’m teaching her. If I bake in excess during Christmas she will grow up thinking she needs to do that too and it may be too much for her and she’ll burn herself out. She’s that kind of kid so I need to think about her future. If I can start now and make some slow changes, I’ll show her she doesn’t need to be a superwoman ( a fact I’m still learning).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Good job Tina! All your planning really paid off! I hope to implement some of your suggestions for next year......I think a shopping free December is a wonderful idea.
    I spent more time in stores this year than I like....trying to find special items in thrift stores etc. Many times I felt frustrated, it certainly wasn't pleasant.
    No Shopping! How peaceful!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thought I should update everyone on my Christmas. The wedding and Christmas came off great. All that planning I started through this thread was just what I needed to jumpstart me.

We also ended up celebrated 2 birthdays. One on the 24th and one on the 26th. Amazingly I was able to pull through with my gift box and a $20 bill!

DD#2 did my Christmas baking and we've had lots leftover. Still eating it.

The wedding was great. Tons of food, but mostly the savoury stuff went. Not many of the goodies went. Though we couldn't have had enough Nanaimo Bars out if we'd tried. We took home some food, but the groom's aunt was amazed at how much did get eaten. She has done catering for functions before.

Thanks for the motivation to get my butt in gear and actually plan ahead. It made things run so much smoother. Dsis-il couldn't believe how calm and organized I was before the wedding.LOL I didn't tell her my secret was you.

Jean

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It sounds like you all did a wonderful job at reaching your goals.. GOOD FOR YOU!!! It also seems like the month of December was not as hectic for you and I am happy for all of you... Hoping this year is as less hectic as last month was...

Tina Bob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Jean - I've been wondering how the wedding went. I'm so happy the wedding went well. You were so well organized that I'm not surprised it went smoothly. Do you get a chance to rest now? Thanks for updating us

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yep. I'm finally gettting back into the normal swing of things. Lots of rest last the last 5 days.

I discovered I wasn't eating proper meals, what with everything going on. I'm hypoglycemic and eating at frequent regular intervals is important. I just messed up really bad once though, and that was after everyone had gone home and dd#1 was putting pressure on me to shop till she dropped. She tends to forget I'm a little older and perhaps not up to marathon shopping trips. At least I need caffeine and sugar part way through the afternoon!

Tina Bob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was at Costco today and it was a absolute zoo! I've been re-reading this thread to start getting motivated to do it again. This weekend I will start making some plans and I'll start a new thread soon. Anyone else want to join me in my Christmas challenge?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yes! Let's start a new one. I only posted briefly, but things have changed so much since my post I feel I could use a new thread for accountability this Christmas season.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

way to go .

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'd like to join you too. I told dh and the kids in September that there will be no money in Dec. for spending. I've been stockpiling and getting gifts ready, I'll be buying a giftcard next payday, and that will be used for fruit and milk. On November 30th dh and I will be putting our debit cards away and will only carry the gift card.

As for the organization part I have done more that 1/2 of the baking and wrapped some of the presents and I have 2 meals in the freezer.
    So I now have to
    finish the baking
    buy a few more presents
    wrap the rest of the presents
    make a meal menu for Dec
    get a few more meals frozen
    start decorating
    stockpile a few more things

I told dh if I can get organized I'd like to extend our challenge through Jan too. We'll see how things go.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345