Decluttering Goals - NYNH Challenge - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I got rid of a lot of stuff last year but still have way too much stuff. I would love to be able to have a clean house and invite people on a moment's notice, have more free time with family, more time to be able to take care of myself and more free time for myself. All this clutter makes me depressed and then I don't want to do any thing. It's holding me down.

What's holding me back? I find it hard to get rid of stuff that I don't need anymore because I think I might need it someday.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

GOAL: For many years now, I have always expressed to others how I love the look of my kitchen cabinets, or should I say, the way the inside of the cabinets look with all my dishes organized.... Then I would comment on how I did not understand how I could be soooo picky about how the dishes looked, but could not figure out how the rest of my house is always such a mess... Then my MIL nailed it on the head.. In the cabinets everything has a place.. I have made it a priority that certain things go in certain areas of the cabinet and nothing else can be in that spot... I want my house to look like the inside of my kitchen cabinets... I want everything to have a place and where I can find everything easily... I want a very simplified and clutter free home and life..

WHAT IS HOLDING ME BACK??? I have four dkids aged 2-11.. The two year old just likes to make messes, and the three older ones don't think it is fair to clean up after themselves, and then I have a DH who thinks I should clean up after everyone including him... I am also the biggest packrat in my family.. I seem to get everyones cast offs....

I hope that I can get a house that is "company ready" all the time.. Maybe not sterile, but clean enough that I don't have to be in a panic everytime I hear someone is on their way to my house. I would also like to make sure that my children are learning the right way of keeping organized and clean.. I hope that my children learn that being tidy is a good thing, not a huge chore.... LOL.. I am going into this full on. So bring on the challenges, Amy... And a big THANKS for doing this for all of us...

guest7
    Tourist

Well, my house isn't too cluttered. I've been in cluttered houses.
    But I do have a goal to organize my kitchen and pantry so I can store and cook more efficiently.
    I'm always running around looking for ingredients.

I'd like to purge of items that haven't been looked at or touched in a while. Store items that will be saved.

Gotta start with my Christmas tree.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Goal: a organized and decluttered home. All unnecessary stuff is OUTTTA Here!

How i got this way and what is holding me back is with 10 soon to be 11 people in a 4 bedroom house the amount of clutter is OVERWHELMING...... Not to mention we moved into my grandmother;s house with her 20+ years of accumulated junk. I am a packrat, papersaver, procrastinator, easily distracted SAHM/Student who is being drven crazy by the clutter.

Registered User missmollymayhem's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I want to de-clutter because the chaos this clutter creates drives me insane.

I do truely want to live a simple life, but materialism and the great goodwill bargains have sabotaged me in the past.

I was born to packrats, and I became one. I want a home that's comfortable and relaxing, and I know that this won't happen until I get a handle on my surroundings.

A new year, a new home, a new me.

guest7
    Tourist

Originally posted by frugalfanny
    Well, my house isn't too cluttered. I've been in cluttered houses.
    But I do have a goal to organize my kitchen and pantry so I can store and cook more efficiently.
    I'm always running around looking for ingredients.

I'd like to purge of items that haven't been looked at or touched in a while. Store items that will be saved.

Gotta start with my Christmas tree.
    Just wanted everyone to know that I took my tree down and organized all my christmas items. (reported earlier, somewhere)

Today I cleaned, organized and purged my kitchen cabinets.

I took before and after photos and I'm trying to download them- but something happened to my USB cord. I'll report back on that.

The job took me from 7a- 1p and I have an aching back- well spent.

What I did:
    ^ I made an inventory list if each stock item and how much I have of it. 6 notepages long!!
    ^ I took out items that should be in the pantry and put them in the pantry. That freed up a LOT of space!
    ^ I catagorizied my cabinets. Cooking and baking area- near where I cook and bake. Duh! You'd think I'd know that. But things got out of hand.
    ^ Coffee/tea near the coffee maker and teapots. hhmmm
    ^ non-perishables above the stove. Learned that here in FV.
    ^ old pukey stuff in the trash. Pretty much what was above the stove. lol
    ^ good stuff sealed tightly in the airtight canisters I found shoved in the back of the cabinets. grrr.
    ^ spices/herbs near the cooking center
    ^ baking spices separate from cooking spices
    ^ poisonous flea stuff- in a ziplock bag, away from food stuff. (and actually ziplocked.) No babies around here- but the stuff freaks me out.
    ^ washed down the inside. Fortunately, I didn't have to replace the paper. It was recently done. That means I made the mess in my cabinets- fairly recently. LOL (that was during spendthrift- I'm a changed woman)
    ^ put things back where they were suppose to be. glue to the craft room, pictures to the photo box, recipes to the recipe book.
    ^ cleaned the top of my refridgerator. I hate anything on it - even dust!
    ^ combined duplicate containers into one. They're duplicate because we couldn't find the original already opened package.

Lost things I found:
    ^ crystal glassware I've been looking for. Just in time- I'm having a dinner party. Would have preferred it during the holidays!
    ^ Serving containers. Party!
    ^ my cookie cutters. I thought DD2 threw them out.
    ^ GC for free tuition for golf lessons! WHOW!! lost that a few years ago. I wonder if it's still good.
    ^ my 'chopper'
    ^ my grinder
    ^ various covers to tupperware-like containers.
    ^ some unopened food stuff that is still good. Bought without thought. Expensive stuff from the yuppy store at quadruple the price. I wouldn't even use it. I'm returning them. I'll let you know the amount I get for it.
    ^ lots of ideas for meals.
    ^ a sense of well-being knowing that my food is now safe and accounted for. Running a home is a business and businesses take inventory and use up their supplies.

I'm patting myself on the back.

I can't wait for hubby to get home! He loves the new me!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

WOW! You should be patting yourself on the back! What was hubby's reaction?
    Blog: http://amysreallife.com

Amy
    Wife to
    Mommy to 4
    Public School Teacher

Debt:
    Mortgage - $399,526.10
    Grocery Budget Challenge: $749.08/$800.00

Always remember others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself."

guest7
    Tourist

Here to report in.
    DH and 3kids LOVED the new arrangement. (see previous post)
    I made several meals in the kitchen thus far and it is soooooo much more efficient. I'm not running all around, jumping on the counter, searching for the something- I thought had.
    Only to have to run to the store and get it. Then find it later.

The only thing they mentioned was "we have to go into the pantry to get even a can of soup?"
    "Yes, if it's stored there- you get it there. No more stuffing things in the cabinets just becuase you don't feel like going into the pantry."

Other than that- it's kudos to Mom. And Mom rules!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Great job!
    Blog: http://amysreallife.com

Amy
    Wife to
    Mommy to 4
    Public School Teacher

Debt:
    Mortgage - $399,526.10
    Grocery Budget Challenge: $749.08/$800.00

Always remember others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself."

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My goal is to simplify even more and be ready for a major downsizing in 2007. I want to be able to be able to clean every room in 15 mins. or less.

What's holding me back: I'm not an organized person and find it very difficult to get organized.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile

Why I am joining the challenge? I love a clean, neat house. I need to find a balance between neat and not sterile..kwim?
    My goal is to be organized yet have a few "things" to give our home a warm and welcoming atmosphere.
    I hate clutter, it wears me down and stresses me out.
    My three girls notice a happier mom when things are in order not in choas!

Good luck to everyone, in reaching your goals.

guest7
    Tourist

Today I have spent the day organizing. Well really- making an organization book for my household.
    It will tell me what and where everything is:

Sections:
    - personalized grocery price list (great idea from FV!!)
    - things I want to make/do (don't you hate it when you think of all these wonderful ideas and then forget all about them?)
    - gifts I want to make and their instructions (instructions help!)
    - gift lists (great idea from FV)
    - what's in my gift closet (gift closet challenge)
    - fabric stash organizer (nice link from FV)
    - pantry list (super idea from FV)
    - freezer list (another super idea from FV)
    - meal menus to use stockpile (lots of ideas printed right from here)
    - recipes to try
    - working budget (lots of support from FV). sort of like my siggy
    - account numbers (in the event of my death, my passwords are locked up elsewhere)
    - what is stored in each Christmas box (did that list prior to closing down Christmas.)
    - what is stored in the attic (It is frigid up there!)
    - what is stored in the basement (found lots of yard sale and consignment stuff!)
    - what is stored in the shed
    - Sewing room list (haven't gotten to that room yet- so page is blank)

I'll ask dh if he'd like to include is workshop in this book.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow! I'm impressed. Makes me feel like my accomplishments are small in comparison but here they are anyway...
    I've walked my dog for 45 min. or more every day for almost a week. Good for the dog and me.
    I've made my bed every morning as soon as I got out of the shower.
    I've washed a load of clothes every morning and another every night so I can hang the in the basement and dry them instead of having to run the dryer. My attempt at lowering our bills.
    I've invested at least 1 hour a day to working on projects I've got going around the house.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My goal is to cut the contents of this house by 1/4 - 1/3 too. I am doing this in preparation for a move.

What holds me back? I get distracted. I'm not able to priortize what's important and what isn't. I lose focus easily. I'm a packrat.

Jean

guest7
    Tourist

woooo... My house is so clean and organized...hate to brag.. but here I go.
    I had a party tonight.. 10 people. . and it took only a few hours to tidy, vacuum and wipe to make the house presentable. We got to read for half the day because we were so organized!!

probably could have been presentable without it- too, but it's stuff I would have noticed and made me feel uncomfortable.

Even my husband commented on it. He said... sure is a good thing that we are clean and organized people as this task would have taken all day!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast