The Living Room - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Living Room

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

fun thread.

Cathy it's great to have your input on decor. I think those use what you have, redesign methods of decor are the best. My favourite books are by Lauri Ward and she makes the point that you have what you have for a reason, and using that as a starter point for redesigning a room makes a lot of sense in terms of decor as well as frugality.

Well, my living room is the surviving bones of many a dejunking purge but the thing I want to purge soon is the wallpaper.

It's nice, but I put it up when I was too ill to paint, and now I'm painting thru the house, and this will be the last room I tackle but when I do that wallpaper is gone. It's a non pattern texture, rather like a grass cloth but more random. It's what is behind me in my photo.

I have a navy couch, comfy chair and ottoman and 2 rather beat up oak endtables. I put pin up wall hung lamps (over the years with kids I found lamps that stuck to the wall fell over much less as this is definitely a room for living and were much easier to clean) over those two end tables.

It all faces a corner TV unit, and the picture window looking out onto a big blue spruce tree that completely dominates that window. I love that feeling. Nestled into my tree almost, watching the birds, peeking out from behind.

There are 3 water colour paintings I love and a couple of oak bookcases that I recently purged and restyled with some of my odds and bits that I want to keep.

The other end of the room there is a dining table and china cabinet which open onto the kitchen forming an L shape. No other eating area so that is it.

The only thing that is visually out of place is my elliptical trainer which is one of those stepper/treadmill/XCski machine thingies. I have it behind the comfy chair, facing the TV which is why it gets used.

But decor wise if we were selling the house tomorrow I'd put it into storage. It isn't the prettiest thing but I'm afraid if I move it anywhere else, it won't get used.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

mermaid59
    Hi Cathy, Thanks for sharing your tips with us. I always wanted to know how high to hang pictures etc. Mine seem to be too high and I don't enjoy them. I'm getting my measuring tape out now!

Thanks again

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

How's it going, everyone???
    Blog: http://amysreallife.com

Amy
    Wife to
    Mommy to 4
    Public School Teacher

Debt:
    Mortgage - $399,526.10
    Grocery Budget Challenge: $749.08/$800.00

Always remember others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself."

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Still have the Christmas totes in the Livingroom ... But I am needing to reclear the space for them in the garage... So by the time I go to bed tonight I want to have that done... The rearranging part is done, now I just have to do the fine cleaning and knick knack arranging.... I getting there, but I am glad we have two weeks...LOLOLOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm done with my living room!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

(sigh) I'm in trouble. I have a living room that is very lived in. One end has an 8' archway into a sunroom. The other end has a 6' archway into the dining room. This is a 1927 home with fancy trim around the arches. One of the remaining walls has a fireplace and 2 small side windows flanking each side.

The TV connection is in the corner where the dining room arch and window/fireplace wall meet. We've jury-rigged an old microwave stand to use as a TV stand. It's the only thing we could get to fit in there. In fact, when we bought the TV, we purposely didn't go over 24" in case it kept getting knocked by people going into and out of the dining room.

On the other side of the dining room archway is an old 1906 Heinzman piano. Noone plays it. It doesn't stay in tune. It has a cracked soundboard. It came free. I want to get rid of it. My children are having a bird about it. They love the piano. DD#1 even promises she'll play it again once she gets a place big enough to house it! But of course she can't do that while in university...

The one uninterrupted long wall in the living room houses a cd tower and a sewing unit. Yes...a sewing unit. It doesn't fit in our basement, so it graces our living room. It's 8' long and about 7' high. It is open. Usually, in front of it somewhere, is the ironing board.

Then on the one side of the sunroom archway is an old floor model radio that is falling to pieces. It's a family heirloom of dh's. I wish he'd fix it. It plain looks ugly. Needs new speaker cloth, among other things.

Across the sunroom archway. In fact, still in the opening, is a bentwood rocking chair and the living room chair. Floating in space. Then a floor lamp and, beyond the archway, going into the corner, is a bookcase stand with a bookcase stereo on it. That jams right into the corner...almost up to one of those fireplace windows.

The sofa...all 7' of it...floats in the middle of the room.

Let me tell you, there is NO room for traffic. Especially if I am sewing. Once the ironing board is up, forget it. Even with it down, the chair I use for sewing backs up almost into the sofa.

There is no access from the sunroom (near front door) to the living room sofa unless you climb over the rocking chair or move it...which is what we usually do.

For lighting I have a full spectrum light over my sewing unit, that floor lamp by the chair, and (on the other side of the room) a piano lamp on top of the piano. All those lights are still too far from the sofa. So if you want to read in the living room, you either sit in the big chair, or the rocking chair with the sunroom light shining over your shoulder.

I've given up making any kind of order out of this room without a considerable cost in time, effort, money and outraged family members. Any ideas are gratefully received.

FWIW, the piano is relatively clear on top. The fireplace is another matter. DD#2's artwork and sculpture are up there.

Oh yeah, and my 2'x2' basket of yarn is beside the big chair, in front of the floor lamp. And I have a rug on a rug frame in front of the stereo/bookcase. We are crowded! HEELP!

Jean

guest7
    Tourist

I shall go through my book case and end table drawers. that would be to only space that would hold clutter. I'll let you know the results when I'm done

Registered User missmollymayhem's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Finally got this one done- now I'm pooped!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I got my tree down, does that count for anything...lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Jean, Do you have a digital camera? Could you post a photo for us? I've done that in the past and have gotten some great ideas from the ladies!

Angie...Yes, the tree down counts!
    Blog: http://amysreallife.com

Amy
    Wife to
    Mommy to 4
    Public School Teacher

Debt:
    Mortgage - $399,526.10
    Grocery Budget Challenge: $749.08/$800.00

Always remember others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself."

guest7
    Tourist

Originally posted by voodidit
    I got my tree down, does that count for anything...lol

ROFL

guest7
    Tourist

Can someone help me out?

I was going to go through my bookcase to purge- as I do twice a year anyway- but I've seen in some decorating books - PB or Crate and Barrel... to cover your books with white paper. Or whatever large quantity you have on hand.

This makes the books all look uniform and neat. Has anyone tried this? and does anyone have any comments on it?

I was thinking of covering them for neatness AND I don't want people to read my book binder and say... "Dr. Phil's weightloss challenge? Teeheeheehe- Looks like you never opened the book! " Or other titles I own- Like 'palm reading' or something. People are going to think I'm a guru.

What's your thought?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Amyboz, sorry I don't have a digital camera. However I do have a regular one. It'll take awhile to post some pics though...

Dh and I had a discussion this morning about 'the house' and it's contents. I pointed out to him it doesn't matter where we move, we have to get rid of furniture and stuff. I'm aiming to toss about 1/4 - 1/3 of it. We just seem to collect things.

He's agreed the piano can go. He wants to sell it. Would anyone buy a 1906 Heinzman with a cracked soundboard? It's a gorgeous upright with 3 pedals, but one doesn't work that well. I haven't a clue what to sell it for. If I sell it, I can clear out a bookshelf of music by giving it to my neices and nephews who play keyboard/piano.

As for the sewing unit, we've decided I need to go through the stuff there and organize a bit. Dh is going to make a more compact and efficient unit for me...that we can put in another room in the house.

I sorted through all the stuff on top of the mantel today. We took down Christmas throughout the house and moved some of dd#2's sculptures elsewhere. I also tossed some dead flowers. Makes a big difference just clearing off the mantelpiece.

We talked about replacing the jury-rigged microwave stand TV stand for an old printer's desk in the dining room. I figure the TV would fit in it just fine. Dh thinks it would be too low for viewing. Hmmm.... We'll have to think about this. It requires selling a bunch of homeschool materials currently residing in the printer's desk. And building a drawer for DVDs, videos, etc. A lot of work.

While taking down Christmas we also tossed a bunch of stuff we'll never use or that needs replacing. We've decided to buy an artificial tree for next year. That way we can get rid of the huge stand, and, if we buy one with lights already on it, we can get rid of them too.

Jean

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12