Kitchen Challenge - Part One
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Kitchen Challenge - Part One

Okay, onto the kitchen. This part of the NYNH challenge has 5 parts, and I will allow approximately 2-3 days for each part of the challenge. A kitchen is a place where clutter can hide and hide and hide, and never be found, if you aren't really diligent and hard-working in uncovering it.

So, for Part One, here's what I'd like you to do: (don't start this unless you know you have quite a bit of time free)

Empty all of your cabinets. Yes, that's right. Empty ALL of your cabinets, except for those containing food. We'll do those when we do the pantry. I don't care what's in them; pots, pans, dishes, tupperware, cleaning products, etc. They need to be emptied completely.

Then, I want you to go through everything. Make the same three piles we've been making all along: Keep, Sell/Donate, Toss. Touch EVERYTHING once, and when it is in your hands, make a wise decision about it. Do you have pieces of tupperware without lids, or lids without bottoms? Broken dishes? Unused cups, or mugs? Pots and pans that never get used or that are broken?

Seriousy think about these items before putting them in the Keep pile. How many mugs does a family need? One per person, perhaps. How many plastic cups from fast food restaurants do you really need in your house? Have a pot or a pan that you don't use because the handle is loose? Either fix the handle RIGHT NOW or toss the pot or pan. If you haven't used it in awhile, then you certainly aren't going to start now.

Look at your silverware. Do you use it all? Do you have plastic knives, forks, and spoons in there that you never really use, but have saved for "just in case?" Well, forget it. Toss them.

Grandma's dishes that you don't use, but can't bear to part with? Either give them to a family member or box them up and put them in storage if you REALLY can't bear to part with them. If those options don't appeal to you, then start using them today or take them to a consignment shop and sell them. Grandma would likely want someone to get some use out them!

If you have emptied out a drawer with cleaning products inside, look at them. Do you use them? If not, toss. Seriously, just toss it. I know it feels like you are wasting money, but if you aren't using it, then get rid of it! You are wasting precious time and energy everytime you have to move an unused product out of the way to get to a used one.

So, you get the idea.

Once you have touched every item and made a WISE decision, clean out the insides of your cabinet with either a cleaning product or a wet cloth.

Now, think about where everything is. Does the organization of your cabinets make sense? Are your pots and pans stored near your stove and oven? Cups near the fridge? If it would make more sense to move things around to where they are really used, then when we start refilling the cabinets, move the items to the sensible cabinets. Your family will complain at first, but eventually, they'll get used to the new placement, and will probably enjoy the kitchen better because it will be easier to manuever in.

Now, it's time to refill. Refill those cabinets in a neat, orderly, sensible way. Then, take the toss stuff outside to the trash IMMEDIATELY. Anything you are sending to a family member (Grandma's dishes?) box up right now and take to the post office, dropping everything else off at the consignment shop or Salvation Army. If you can't get out right now, put these items in your car so that next time you go out, they are ready to go.

It's a big job, so I'm going to give you 3 days. As I said, I don't want anyone starting this and having to stop mid-way, so I think 3 days should give us all time to get moving on this one.

And, please...post pictures! Either toss pictures or before/after pictures. They really do help to inspire others! Post any tips you come up with along the way as well! We'd all appreciate your insight!
    Blog: http://amysreallife.com

Amy
    Wife to
    Mommy to 4
    Public School Teacher

Mortgage - $377,836.63

Always remember others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself."

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, since I WON'T be remodeling my kitchen in a couple of months, I'd better clean it now. I'm going to have to live with it for a while.

In the broad philosophy of decluttering, it is 'okay' to box up things that are only used seasonally? I have some nice serving dishes that I only use for holidays. Ordinarily, I fix each person's plate while standing at the stove.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm in on this one. I'll get started on it after I get home tonight.

I've been wanting to get the cabinets cleaned out for a few weeks now. I'll charge the batteries and take some pics as well.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Originally posted by Valerie in WA
    In the broad philosophy of decluttering, it is 'okay' to box up things that are only used seasonally? I have some nice serving dishes that I only use for holidays.
    Absolutely! As long as you have adequate storage for these items elsewhere, it's fine to take them out and box them up until they get used.
    Blog: http://amysreallife.com

Amy
    Wife to
    Mommy to 4
    Public School Teacher

Mortgage - $377,836.63

Always remember others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself."

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'll have to do this tomorrow evening after work!

Registered User missmollymayhem's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Starting this one first thing tomorrow!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I too will start this tomorrow, I mean today....LOL
    Bonnie mom to

DD Roari 23 who now has her Masters in Social Work!
    DS Craig 21 who is now looking for a good paying job
    DS Jared 20 who is now also looking for the allusive job
    DD Valory 14 who is now a freshman

Lord help me, I have 1 teenagers THREE ADULT KIDS !!!

Married to Lyndell for 24 years.

Avatar courtesy of me... Iris' I planted in my front yard a few years ago...[/FONT]

2014 Goals
    Cut down on all unnecessary things.
    Free is best.
    Get the garage completely cleaned out.
    Make the yards nice-weed, mow, plant, flowerbeds,etc.
    Stay home more/eat out less if at all.
    FIND A NEW JOB!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have to wait until the weekend to do this

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I will be doing this today...you are so motivating!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I cant do this challenge.... we're remodeling the kitchen (new cabinets, new floor, took down a wall, etc..) that all my items are stuck in other cabinets in the living room and dining room.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm in too. We are in the process of finishing our Kitchen Addition, well right now we are taking a break. Sheet rock is up, we just have to get the plaster up and then it should start to look like a real kitchen. Then the fun starts, cabinets, counter, flooring.
    Right now we are using a few base cabinets, with a temp. sink, also our old dishwasher in the pantry is being used to hold our dishes and cups etc.
    I do believe I will find lots of junk in our base cabinets and yes I have a junk draw
    Good luck!

guest7
    Tourist

Okay Amy, I did my kitchen a few weeks ago. I'll post my pictures. But, I didn't do the under cabinets. And realized that my silverware drawer is 'crumby'. Just didn't have the strength at the time. Plus I was really taking inventory of my pantry items.. which caused me to turn it into a kitchen cabinet cleanout! Jeez, things lead into another around here!

guest7
    Tourist

Okay ladies!! I'm challenging you too!!
    What a nice feeling to have a clean and organized kitchen. It's the area we spend the most time in.
    I posted the results of my challenge here
    https://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/...threadid=67509

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Originally posted by Dedlered
    I have to wait until the weekend to do this
    Me too. I will get to it though

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Will have to wait tell tomorrow (Fri) to do this. Have been working overtime at work. I think this is going to be my worst and best decluttering challenge. Seems like clutter always wants to stay in my cuboard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast