Detergent Challenge - Update/ Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Talking Detergent Challenge - Update/ Results

Well, here are my 'official' results of my clothes and auto dish detergent challenge.
    ~Palmolive Auto Dishwashing Detergent(75oz) Lasted from 6/5/06-11/8/06. I run a load a day so approx. 150 loads for $3.
    ~Arm & Hammer Detergent, 100oz. Lasted from 9/4/06-11/20/06=96 loads for $3. I never imagined I could stretch them that far!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

way to make it last

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

WOW!
    So how much did you actually use per load? A teaspoon? a Tablespoon?
    How much laundrydetergent per load? Was everything just as clean? Is the arm and hammer detergent the same as their washing soda? (I live inCanada and it is called washing soda here). How did it effect the colors?

Do tell all!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by hollyhill View Post
    WOW!
    So how much did you actually use per load? A teaspoon? a Tablespoon?
    How much laundrydetergent per load? Was everything just as clean? Is the arm and hammer detergent the same as their washing soda? (I live inCanada and it is called washing soda here). How did it effect the colors?

Do tell all!
    I count every load whether it was a mini (four red shirts) or oversized (a week of work clothes) as equal in my experiment. I used liquid detergent and just covered the bottom of the cup(about 2 Tablespoons) and add it to the wash when it's almost done filling. I rinse out the cup under the stream too. The clothes get clean and smell great!Not very strong though. I like it that way because I'd rather smell my purfume or lotion than detergent. If stains still seem to be there when I remove them from the wash I hang them up wet in a window under direct sunlight. The stain always disappears! I was aiming for 45 loads and got 96.....I'm still in shock.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

So it was a liquid detergent? Not powder huh? I don't think we have that brand here.

How about your dishwasher detergent? How much did you use of that?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by hollyhill View Post
    So it was a liquid detergent? Not powder huh? I don't think we have that brand here.

How about your dishwasher detergent? How much did you use of that?
    ~Palmolive auto dish detergent liquid gel ;I used about a Tablespoon per load. This challenge was so fun to me! I'd actually found myself giggling over how cheap I was!~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow that's awesome! Great job

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That turned out great. I was wondering if you had forgotten to tell us the results, didn't even think maybe you were still working on the same bottles. LOL! I did my Liquid Tide HE. I did two bottles. I just used it as I always do, just to see how many I was getting. The bottle said it did 26 loads. I got 28 loads from each one. So I got two more than it said. I honestly figured that I probably wouldn't get the 26. I do one load a day Mon - Fri and one or two on Saturday and usually 3 on Sundays. I adjust the amount of detergent according to the size of the load. My next new bottle, I am going to try to cut it down and get more uses out of it. My DH likes Downey in the rinse water. I was supposed to get 40 loads and I discovered I was getting a little over half of that! EEK! So I am going to break that down as well. I didn't test my dishwashing detergent. I am gong to give that one a try. Right now I am using a box of Electrasol Tabs that I got for free. When I open up more liquid dishwasher detergent I will check it.

Thanks for this challenge. I realize that I am being wasteful with the Downey and should be able to get more loads washed with less Downey and less Tide.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You just made me think. When i do dishes i just pour it in . i know i am using more than a table spoon. I will have to try just using a table spoon. thanks

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

cool thanks for this! I will jump on board

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I guess I'm kinda lucky I only wash clothes for myself and have plenty of clothes so I don't have to wash but maybe once every 2 or 3 weeks. A I think 200 oz? (the size that costs 10 dollars) will last me a year using full strength.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I just bought new detergent and I marked the date on it I am going to see how long I can make them last! YOOHOO!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ace! I love A&H products.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Years ago my DD forgot to put dishwashing detergent in the dishwasher. The dishes came out clean but didn't smell fresh. I know soap cuts grease so we may have been lucky with that load. I only use a bit of dishwashing liquid but DH insists on full stregnth.

As for laundry soap, I just bought 125 oz. A& H deterg. bottle. I am going to try using 1/4 cap and see how that goes. Thanks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by emily_hope View Post
    That turned out great. I was wondering if you had forgotten to tell us the results, didn't even think maybe you were still working on the same bottles. LOL! I did my Liquid Tide HE. I did two bottles. I just used it as I always do, just to see how many I was getting. The bottle said it did 26 loads. I got 28 loads from each one. So I got two more than it said. I honestly figured that I probably wouldn't get the 26. I do one load a day Mon - Fri and one or two on Saturday and usually 3 on Sundays. I adjust the amount of detergent according to the size of the load. My next new bottle, I am going to try to cut it down and get more uses out of it. My DH likes Downey in the rinse water. I was supposed to get 40 loads and I discovered I was getting a little over half of that! EEK! So I am going to break that down as well. I didn't test my dishwashing detergent. I am gong to give that one a try. Right now I am using a box of Electrasol Tabs that I got for free. When I open up more liquid dishwasher detergent I will check it.

Thanks for this challenge. I realize that I am being wasteful with the Downey and should be able to get more loads washed with less Downey and less Tide.

Emily I have a front loader machine and I dilute my downey 50/50 with water. And have not had any problems. Everything still smells fresh.

I do not use HE detergent either I just use about a Tablespoon of detergent and have had no problems with sudsing and my clothes are clean and fresh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast