a new challenge for myself - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Freya... we must be kindred spirits! I might declutter some while hubby is asleep...maybe!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Early spring cleaning...
    ...todays donations:

*6 books
    *1 bag of clothes
    *1 bag misc. hardware
    *1 photo album
    *1 video
    *1 card
    *1 bags of unused natural soaps
    *2 frames
    *1 new dog chain
    *1 bamboo placemat
    *1 cross wall hanging
    Last edited by imforpeace; 02-19-2008 at 10:46 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by imforpeace View Post
    I recently read a blog about a woman who challenged herself to get rid of 7 things a week for 1 year. http://seven-things.blogspot.com/200...ct-begins.html

Her blog reads
    "The Project Begins
    I want to own less. I want to buy less. I want to need less. And I want to want less.

The upshot: from 07/07/06 till 07/07/07 I intend to get rid of 7 things a week.

The guidelines: I will sell, donate, give away, or recycle these seven things (in very rare cases, I may decide to throw something away, but I intend to be very strict with myself about keeping waste to a minimum).
    The rationale: I want to more fully embrace simplicity."

What a great idea. I will challenge myself as well. One of my 2008 goals is to declutter, so here I go.

Anyone want to join me?
    I have read that thread too about someone getting rid of 7 things a week. What an awesome idea !!!!
    I was thinking about this today and thought I should do that too. I threw away a rug my dog has been using.. its old, tattered and maybe smelly too. Now the dog has a newer blanket ( recycled from the house)..
    so like it or not.......

I'm in on the de-cluttering. This seems like a really painless way to do it.

ps.. I'm not keeping a ongoing record of exact numbers but I will make mental notes each trash day what I can trhow out until it gets to stuff I can donate or sell in a garage sale.
    Last edited by M55FF; 02-24-2008 at 09:20 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is a great idea especially since we are getting our house ready to put on the market. We are in the process of packing and trying to declutter so our house looks better. I will TRY to do this weekly. Although I won't have the internet after tonight until we finally sell our house. So internet updates will be minimal.

YAY for all of you! May we have less clutter!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Read this thread also. Have been doing this all this month. I have challenged all my friends and family to do the same. Remember the old saying "One man's trash is anothers treasure". We can all help many with our cast-offs.

Two weeks ago I boxed up a set of 25 Time Life books for an uncle. Gave 2 grocery bags of recycled magazines to nursing home. Gave 1 large box of books to nursing home. The activities director was so excited. (Don't forget the shut ins) Also sent a few cuddley stuffed animals for someone who might be lonely and needs something to cuddle.

This week I donated several pairs of shoes and a box of misc kitchen stuff to Amvets.
    I think I could do 7 a week all year and still not see a dent in stuff.

We have been going thru paperwork (my DH thinks we need to save everything for ever) and shredding. A little less fire hazard here!!!!
    Keep up the good work ladies!!!!!!!!

A couple weeks ago I cleaned and straighten the linen closet/bathroom storage. I was amazed! I don't have to buy shampoo, conditioner, soap, toothpaste, toothbrushes, razors, cold medications, bandaids, etc. for the next year It is nice and neat now, and catoragized. I was so happy.
    Last edited by POOTERSMOMMY; 02-24-2008 at 10:52 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We have way to much stuff. I have been going through each room and getting rid of a ton of stuff that I dont need. I just finished cleaning my upstairs closet and got rid of a garbage bag full of stuff. Next up the book shelf.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have been making great progress on my decluttering. My dad has been bringing some of my mother's things to my house. It's so hard to believe she's been gone for 4 weeks now. It's VERY hard to look through her things. I have to decide how much I need or want to keep. I'm trying to limit my decisions based on what has the most sentimental value. My hubby gave me a cedar chest for Valentine's day, so I can store my mothers things. I'm trying to only keep what will fit in there. I hope I can let most of it go so I can stay on track of decluttering!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by imforpeace View Post
    I have been making great progress on my decluttering. My dad has been bringing some of my mother's things to my house. It's so hard to believe she's been gone for 4 weeks now. It's VERY hard to look through her things. I have to decide how much I need or want to keep. I'm trying to limit my decisions based on what has the most sentimental value. My hubby gave me a cedar chest for Valentine's day, so I can store my mothers things. I'm trying to only keep what will fit in there. I hope I can let most of it go so I can stay on track of decluttering!
    I'm very sorry for your loss.

I don't know if this would work for you but I saw on an organizing show where they took pictures of special items that they wanted to let go of but could not because of sentimental reasons. For instance, they took a picture of a favorite dress before donating it to charity. They were able to still have the memory, only in a less-bulky form. Another suggestion is to take a square of it, particularly if there are numerous clothing items, and make a quilt to honor the memory. The picture-taking can also be used for nick-nacks that you just don't have room for but hate to give away because of sentimental value.

Give yourself some time for this project, I would not lump it in with every-day decluttering. Perhaps give yourself a few months, with a final ending date of, say, July. Then only work on it for an hour (if that) each week. This should help give you time to grieve without being so overwhelming. Don't be too hard on yourself, this is definitely a special circumstance.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

What a wonderful idea! I have to read her blog.

imforpeace, sorry for your loss. I have to say wtg on dealing with your mom's things quickly. My mom didn't when grandma passed away, 8 years later she has not only her own clutter(pack rat) but my grandmothers whole household and many of my brothers(passed away 6 years ago). It's very sad to go there. Ifind the house depressing. But giving an alotted space for keeping treasures, you are SO on the right path. clothing you could make a memory quilt with. Her knicknacks, that's hard, pictures would be great. But anyway, good for you for forming a plan.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

She talks of posting her progress. But I don't see any further posts. I'm a blog newbie though..lol. Are there anymore posts?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

imforpeace - so sorry about your loss. It's really tough. I lost my mom in 2001 and I am just now starting to go through all the papper, and old pictures that I brought home. Pictures are going to be distributed to her grandchildren as a Christmas gift this year. They will get pictures of their parents as kids, as well as aunts and uncles, and even themselves. I think my nieces and nephews will love it. That's one idea.

I have lots of newspaper clippings of old recipes and hints mom kept, and my plan is to put together a book of mom's favorite stuff and distibute to family.

Do you have family to give some of the memorbilia to? Did she have grandkids? These could make very special gifts.

I love love love the idea of a memory quilt.
    The best of luck to you thru your difficult journey.
    Cheryl

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mommy4ever View Post
    She talks of posting her progress. But I don't see any further posts. I'm a blog newbie though..lol. Are there anymore posts?
    The post is from July 2006. When I click on the link for more posts, I get an error message. Sorry, I'm not much help! he he

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by POOTERSMOMMY View Post
    imforpeace - so sorry about your loss. It's really tough. I lost my mom in 2001 and I am just now starting to go through all the papper, and old pictures that I brought home. Pictures are going to be distributed to her grandchildren as a Christmas gift this year. They will get pictures of their parents as kids, as well as aunts and uncles, and even themselves. I think my nieces and nephews will love it. That's one idea.

I have lots of newspaper clippings of old recipes and hints mom kept, and my plan is to put together a book of mom's favorite stuff and distibute to family.

Do you have family to give some of the memorbilia to? Did she have grandkids? These could make very special gifts.

I love love love the idea of a memory quilt.
    The best of luck to you thru your difficult journey.
    Cheryl
    Thank you. Great ideas!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by krbshappy71 View Post
    I'm very sorry for your loss.

I don't know if this would work for you but I saw on an organizing show where they took pictures of special items that they wanted to let go of but could not because of sentimental reasons. For instance, they took a picture of a favorite dress before donating it to charity. They were able to still have the memory, only in a less-bulky form. Another suggestion is to take a square of it, particularly if there are numerous clothing items, and make a quilt to honor the memory. The picture-taking can also be used for nick-nacks that you just don't have room for but hate to give away because of sentimental value.

Give yourself some time for this project, I would not lump it in with every-day decluttering. Perhaps give yourself a few months, with a final ending date of, say, July. Then only work on it for an hour (if that) each week. This should help give you time to grieve without being so overwhelming. Don't be too hard on yourself, this is definitely a special circumstance.
    Thank you. I think these are great ideas.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm up to 171 in my year long challenge. Yay me!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast