Christmas 2008 Challenge - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

now HOW did I miss this one? LOL

I'd love to take on that challenge.
    We're a single income family and I do all kinds of things to cut corners, and making a fund with money we would normally use on fast food or other unnecessary things would be great!

I'll try to put in 20$ a month and have dh put in about 50$.
    We'll try to catch up for the first 2 months we "missed". LOL

And since I'm making so many hm gifts this year, that'll be more than enough saved up by the time xmas comes for ourselves and extended family/friends.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I forgot to mention, if you are looking for some craft ideas, this website is wonderful! They have a special section on Christmas gifts but you could make anything from any category as a gift.

www.craftster.org

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Feels like I'm getting a great start with my Christmas budget. This challenge is a wonderful reminder! Just added a little more cash to my savings over the weekend. Would like to make several gifts purchased over the next few months. Need to work on a list of possible gifts before I can check anyone off my list. I'm sure there's a few crafts to work on too since I seem to run out of time as it get closer to Christmas.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So far, I have $100 put aside.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm in a little late, but what the hay March is a good time to start a new challenge!!! I always overspend at Christmas...I am a store's best friend when it comes to my grandbabies & kids...so I resolve that I am going to reign in my overly generous nature and be more frugal this coming Christmas season.

I did buy a slew of stuff after season, so I already have a head start on gifts...but, I will need at least $1200....wait make that $500 and a lot of creativity!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Christmas

I am in!

I am not setting a certain amount aside, but am watching for BIG sales. This morning, I ordered 8 really nice bath sets (lotion, spray, body butter, scrub) that are regulary $39. They were marked down to $10. My goal is to have everyone taken care of by September.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm in... We've ended up talking to friends and family (who are also tight on money) and cut our Christmas shopping list DRASTICALLY. Which is a BIG blessing for us as we'll both be in college as of May.

Here's what we're looking at...and what we've already gotten. We aren't saving ahead...just picking up throughout the year to spread the expense over the months.

Stocking for Mom - been making several things...still have to pick up more, but it's about 80% done.
    Stocking for Dh - haven't done anything on his yet...but he just wants a double pack of beef jerky and a BIG bag of M&Ms...I'll pick that up closer to the holiday. I'll add in some bar soap and other toiletries to fill it out.

Dh - Game (already bought)
    MIL - Gift Certificate to used book store (already earned the credit)...and a special gift we tucked away.
    FIL - Gift Certificate to used book store (already earned the credit)...and we'll make cookies, too.

I've also already finished gift buying/making for mother's day (except some embroidery work on the apron I made her), father's day, and birthdays for the year (except finishing one quick project). Need to do something for our anniversary, still.

So, Christmas wise that leaves me with finishing mom's stocking...and then buying the few things for Dh's. I guess I could start tucking away a couple $$ here and there for that... Should be in the range of $30 total.

Progress!!! I have to put everything on a spreadsheet to keep it straight!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'd like to join this challenge.

I am waaaay behind. As my momma always said to me... "You're a day late and a buck short"

My holiday plans this year, will cost me about $1800. I'm going to budget $2000. Gosh.. when I write it down.... it's just tooooooo much! But I'll write about my plans in another forum.

Right now, today- I have zero dollars. Priceless.

I'll update in a bit. I'm going through my budget and crunching some numbers.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would also like to join this challenge. Although it won't be that hard for me. I have a holiday account at work, so $25.00 comes out every pay period and in November we get a check. But, I am going to try to buy gifts all year, so we don't have to use much of the actual X-mas fund. I have already started buying gifts and have a small pile of things. I just need to sit down and figure out what we are going to get everyone this year for the holidays. I would like to have my in-laws do the name drawing earlier than November this year that way we can buy ahead of time. An idea for others, ask your brothers/sisters if they would be willing to chip in for one big gift for the parents or grandparents!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My Christmas plan for 2008 is a lot of homemade gifts, I will have to buy gifts this year but I have not put together a budget yet. I am more focused the homemade gifts first

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Cool...I'm in!I'm planning on really cutting back on gift giving, just as I did in 2007. I'm going to use the change jar for Webkins for gifts. The other stuff...I'll have to budget in! I'll update you on the plan!

I used to buy trinkets for secretaries at my school, the librarian, the bus drivers, you name it. I cut all that out. I usually go in with everyone on a group gift anyway!
    Alert me if you all see a sale on Webkins. DS loves them, even though he's already 9! I have 6 great-nieces/nephews and I'm buying them Webkins for Christmas 2008. If I don't find them on sale: 6 @ $15.00 each = $90.00. Last year, we went on a trip to Disney in Orlando. That was pretty much it for Christmas gifts for all of us, but we had a great time! I would definitely recommend getting away if you can swing it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

HOW did I miss this one??????

I'm in. Christmas has been sneaking up on me the last few years and I use to be really good about planning ahead. The whole season is my favorite time of the year and I hate to be stressed about it.

I'm going to shoot for $700 (basically $100 a month May through November)
    With some of the gifts being homemade this number should cover EVERYTHING including an upped holiday grocery budget.

$700 seems so much to me knowing I did several years on MUCH less. (like spare change!) Then I look at it and say "if I can save for then it doesn't matter. Just enjoy it!" The boys are getting older and I do get them more expensive things than I did when they were 5 and 6. I also do gift cards for a few people. These are great gifts but I know I can usually find a cool gift for much less so I use them where they make the most sense. Last year I gave several gas cards to older family members feeling the gas price pinch. I'll pick things up as I go this year too. I guess I need to get my list together.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm in! I'll be back to update!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'd like to join, too. I usually wait until the last minute, then panic. But this year I have already started! I bought some fairly good sized stockings after Christmas (2007) for 10 cents each. So, now I am just going to fill them and that will be the gifts for everyone. Found some other items for the girls/women on my list for $1.50 each and got them all one. Next, I will be checking out the clearance sales for the boys/men. Then all I plan to do is add some small stuff. Hope to have my Christmas shopping done by October.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My goal is around October or November also. I am just hoping that my husband lets me do the majority of the shopping, otherwise we are out on Christmas eve buying gifts from Santa, for the kids!! This past year we had only 3 gifts under our tree until Christmas Eve, then there were all sorts!! I hate waiting until the last minute, but my husband really likes to shop with me especially for the kids. So, hopefully we can get things done early this year!!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast