Christmas 2008 Challenge - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What a great idea, soon I would love take part in this challenge, but right now I'm still trying to make ends meet!! I do have one gift purchased already a watch for sil, found one that suited her just perfectly!! As I see things I'll grab them. I too always feel like I under spend, but really we have no choice, unless we want to suffer the rest of the year paying it back. I'm hoping this year we can spend a total of $400ish .. on DH, myself, DS, DD, MIL, FIL, SIL, DH grandparents, my parents and our nephew.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

IL'm doing things differently this year, too. This year, I'm keeping a list of all the people I'm giving gifts to. (BTW that list is about 1/2 the length from last year.)

As I find/make something for each person, I write down what it was, and the amount. I'm hoping this will keep me on budget, and help me remember who I've already purchased for.

Then I put the gifts on a shelf in my closet until I get ready to wrap.

So far, I've purchased:

~DVD's for GNephews/GNieces (1 DVD for each sibling set=3 total @$5 ea.= $15)
    ~wrought iron reindeer w/ votive candle ($1 at GW) for DS's teacher
    ~handknitted scarf for friend (still need to knit hat)
    ~handknitted poncho for niece

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Put in another $20 the other day to put me at $90

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I need to get busy on this...because of this challenge, I did manage to start thinking about it though, and that's a good thing! I'm making a list of names to be on the lookout for.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Id love to join this challenge. I already have $200 in my ING acct. I have been putting in $50 a month to go toward Christmas. I'll try to throw in a little extra here and there. If I continue w/ atleast $50 a month i'll have $500 by Nov. I don't plan on doing too mant expensive items this year. I'll just get DS some more games for his Wii and Nintendo DS and clothes. My DD will get some new dolls, clothes, and a bunch of cd's from the thrift store. My fiance and I dont exchange gifts and we'll just give his kids cash.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Include me in for the Christmas challenge. My goal is $25 every week. I guess we'll see.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Another $10 stashed. I'm at $100.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Since this is a 5th pay week this month for DH we had a little more extra this month. I was able to stash another $50 last night.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Somewhere a couple of weeks back I put another $50 in and brought the total to $200. Also I've managed to pick up a sheet set for each of my boys to put up for Christmas and a couple of pairs of boxers for DH at VERY good prices.

I also happen to be at my brothers so I'm taking stock of which kids still don't have a blanket that I've made them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i'm not up with the lingo, but i wanna do this challenge too. since every christmas we're always scrambling to get stuff for family & the kids, since money is super tight.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have $400 saved for Christmas. Actually, I saved it last year, but when Christmas came around I had the cash to pay for what I wanted. Well, let me rephrase that. I looked at the sales circulars and I made a list of what I wanted to buy, divided up how much I had saved between the two children and my parents, and then took the list down to what is that I really wanted to give that was within my budget.

I did pay with cash, I just didn't use the Christmas savings because I had the cash available to cash flow the expense last year (I didn't use a credit card. I think I was starting to really figure out I was in trouble. It is a process, isn't it? )

So, this year, I haven't saved any more, but I still have that $400. I am thinking I will try to save $50 more each month starting in August, but ONLY if I have paid at least $500 more towards my debt.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I need to think about this but I need to do something.

I have great plans to make something for the grandkids which means I should start soon they are where I spend the most time or money. luckily dh works at Scholastic and we find great stuff for them cheap at the employee store

nieces get gift cards so I think I will just start picking them up as I have the money.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have started buying things. I sell Avon, so as I see things and can afford them (Avon is my only income) I get items to put away for them. Sometimes it's hard because I want to give it to them NOW. I do already have a few things for EACH child. Nothing so far for DH, he's gonna be hard to buy for. He's ALWAYS with me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would like to start looking around now to try to get some things before the season actually starts, but I am scared to death to walk into a store right now because of my horrific shopping addiction that lead me into my debt mess.

I guess I could walk in with just a set amount of money - no credit cards (we cut them up yesterday anyway), no checkbook (that way I can't just write a check if I spend more), and I don't even have a debit card anymore (Last October someone was using my debit card in Mexico City... even though the card was in my wallet..... after I got that straightened out I told the bank I never wanted a Debit card again).

I am just so scared of my past behavior that I do not want to put myself into tempting situations right now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Eek, I am starting this completely late, there are only 10 pays left for me before Christmas, so I going to put aside $75 per pay until Xmas +plus I just remembered that I will also get my Christmas Bonus first pay in December as well. so that will be an extra $850 dollars.

This week end I am making a dedicated promis to get together a list of people who I will give presents to as well as a list of things that I might like to give to them, then I can start to keep an eye out and pick them up at sales when I see them.

Also (and this is my dirty little secret) I will have to look through my closest and see if there is anything that I would like to regift.

I have got a start anyway the first $75 is already tucked away in my holiday account, and given that there is no way that I will spend the total ammount on gifts / Xmas dinner, the rest con go towards paying for our vacation - we will be at home but it would be nice to do a couple of things instead of sitting around looking at each other!

I'll be back to update on my progress.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast