Christmas 2008 Challenge - Page 7
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Inactive
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've only got a small amount in my Christmas fund, but I just started.

Earlier this month, I picked up a set of journals for one of my little sisters on Ebay for a good price. I'll probably augment that with something "couple-y" for her and her boyfriend, but that's the biggest part of her gift.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This seems like a good place to post my Christmas list and find some ideas. I really want to try hard to not use the credit card this year, which is something that seems to happen every year. I've been working hard to keep a budget, and have saved over $200.00 for Christmas by trying to put away $20.00 every week. I also have a couple gift cards that I will either give away or use myself to buy gifts. I spend the most on my kids and this year I really want to be more creative and also smarter about the gifts that I buy. Other than my kids and husband, I have to buy for my mother, MIL, and 4 nieces. (I'm sure there's others I'll remember later)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Tried to do a little Christmas shopping while I was out this weekend. I purchased a gift card to use online for several Christmas gifts & that's it. I'm still saving each payday, but need to get more shopping done.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have been buying gifts a little here and a little there I have 4 of my own kids to buy for a niece and a nephew and we are paying for MIL and FIL to visit us so that is their gift dh and I are giving each other a big hug! hee hee or something free like that! AND between October 1 and January 15 we have 5 birthdays to buy for UGH!!! Anyway here is my list so far:

DS #1 wood/leather burning kit (40% off coupon total $8)
    DD stained glass art kit ( " " total $8)
    Angelina Ballerina DVD ( FREE! Kohl's $10 gift card)

I have everybody's gifts written out and planned I just have to start squirreling them away and niece and nephew we are going to do $25 savings bonds. And I just clipped a 40% off coupon for Robert's Crafts and they have great Doug & Melissa toys. Slowly its coming together (slowly very slowly!)
    Last edited by frugalbabe; 08-18-2008 at 06:48 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just chiming in with my update here given that I only started my Christmas Challenge a couple of weeks ago.

I am glad to say that the 75 that I set aside last pay for Christmas is still sitting the the account and I am planning to add another $75 to it tomorrow when I get paid.

I have written down a list of people that I will give presents to and some thoughts on what I shouulld give them.

I have also volunteered to help out at a christmas function for a local charity.

I am feeling much better about Christmas now, I am on track.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well do to overtime for both of us this month and a few bucks from some other sources I went on and stashed the rest of the money. So that's $700 and I'm done as far as money goes. Now the challenge is to make it work .... and maybe have some of that leftover to put on something else.

****glad we have this thread. I see where I had posted that I had gotten sheet sets for the boys. I had forgotten about buying the sheet sets for them until I read that. Now I need to go find them because they are NOT in the normal stash place.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have just over $200 in my Christmas funa ccoutn an have just purchased my first Christmas present on Sepcial this week. I only have to buy gifts for the following people...

DSO
    3 month old Nephew
    2 month old God Son
    Secret Santa Present for Family ($100 limit and they give you a list of things that they would be happy to recieve - so that they still get something they all want but a bit of a surprise as they don't quite know what you will get from the list)

I have been trying in vain to get my family to do this for years but this year my mother just announced that that is what we will be doing, I am very pleased with that.

I will continue to put my $75 per pay away and that way it will buy all of our groceries and holiday entertainment etc.

I think that I will also do some baking for DSO's and my family so that I can give everyone a small token for the holidays.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

i am currently making cards (for close friends and family) i should have cards left over from last year which i will use for other people

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I really cut back buying gifts this year. We are only doing gifts for the kids, each other, my inlaws, and my bff, her hubby, and son. I've mostly got them done, just need 2 more items for them. Got inlaws done except for a gc for fil. I've been working on the kids and hubby and have a good start. I'll be purchasing a few things via amazon next week.

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Christmas Update as of 9/29/2008

Doing little baskets for my mom and mother-in-laws of things they will like, things that remind me of them etc.

Mother-In-Law 1: Wire basket (1$),Bath and Bodyworks warm vanilla sugar room spray, shower gel, bubble bath, lotion-6$ total for all that. Will probably add a Christmas ornament or a pretty candle or something
    Father-In-Law 1:
    Father-In-Law 2:
    Mother-In-Law 2: wire basket (1$), cardinal ornaments (3$), two hand-carved, painted, wooden cardinals (FREE!) Still need to add something to this, not sure what
    Brother-In-Law 1:
    Sister-In-Law 1:
    Brother-In-Law 2:
    Grandparents 1: Plan on getting super cool family tree photo thing from Things Remembered for 25$
    Cousin 1:
    Cousin 2:
    Mom: Raggedy Ann and Andy (5$), blue willow candle (1$), wire basket (1$), BBW honeysuckle lotion, soap (2$) Also making her a blue willow cross-stitch picture
    Dad: lead Indian ($1)
    Brother 1:
    Brother 2:
    Brother 2's gf: wire basket (1$), set of lotion, bodywash, soaps, candles (5$ total)
    Brother 3:
    Brother 3's daughter: Barbie (FREE)
    Gramma: china pitcher 3$
    Grampa:
    Daycare Provider: wire basket, candles, lotion, bodywash, 5$ total She will get a large cash bonus as well
    Daycare Gift: Large Barbie Styling head FREE
    Friend: wire basket filled wtih Bath and Bodyworks stuff, 5$ total
    Neighbor:
    Friends' baby:

Wesley: Almost completely done. Need to buy a Pirate Ship, the Veggie Tales Pirate movie, the Policeman Mr. Potato Head (his present from his daddy) and a small present just from me.
    Zac: bodywash as a stocking stuffer 1.50$ NO IDEAS either.

I cashed out my points on mypoints for a Target gift card, as well as my credit card rewards points for Target giftcards. I have 110$ in giftcards to purchase gifts with. I also have a 10$ Kohl's gift card that I received as a promo b/c of a new store opening that will be used to buy a present. We will get our Christmas Club at the end of this month and it will have approximately 1200$ in it. We need to use some of that for our daycare provider's cash bonus, Wesley's Christmas pictures (which we will have taken in the first part of November), and the rest of Christmas.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am so disorganized and completely broke this year, I have literally only just started thinking about Christmas gifts, and have knitted 1/3 of a funky cushion for someone, no idea who. Ble

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

the items in parenthesis is what i need to get or make.

Mom- Kiss CD, Thomas kinkade color pencils
    (candle, something to go with penciles, Target GC)

Sis- Stamp, Pen, Pad, pillowcase, afghan
    (scrap cookbook, Starbucks GC)

Dad- redneck ornament, pooping reindeer, manly man candles:lmao:
    (something…)

Dads wife- Candle Holders (red)
    (candle, coasters)

Aunt and Uncle(something.. gift card?)$25 outback
    DD-light up pendant and ring set
    DS-?

Grandpa-western movies, one touch mini

Grandma- mad cow keychain, all the john deer stuff
    (card set)

1 exchange-depends on who it is..

friend- best friend trolls and shelf, daily survival kit

Friend2- lotion set

very nice neighbor that fixed my windows in my car- Gift Card?

Friend 3- bookmark, woods cd

Primary childrens Hospital- chemo caps, polly pockets, school supplies, 2 pair black gloves, playdoh,

So far I have spent $41 on Xmas. Assuming that I don't use mypoints/inboxdollars/point2shop for any of the gift cards and such that i have left to purchase I have about $100 left to spend. Including shipping to the person.

However, I already have enough points for 1 and 1/2 GC in mypoints alone.
    Last edited by chevy_chick95; 09-29-2008 at 04:01 PM.

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Found a Bonanza DVD for 50 cents at Wal-Mart. I'm adding that to my dad's gift.

Found out that there won't be a family/Christmas get together at Dh's grandparents, so tht means we don't need to buy gifts for the two cousins on the list.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

ive got 11 out of approx 18 presents i need to get, and i have spent £51 so far, not bad averages out at 4.67 per gift.

i know what most of the other presents will be, and i aim to save £200 for xmas, anything left over is going in the EF

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Did some more shopping today, got 4 more presents so i have a total of 15 gifts, only spent £70.37 and now my average gift cost is 4.69

All i have left now to get is for my Dad (gift card), BF's Dad (dvd set) my Nan, and prob one small gift each for BF's parents, so about 5 more should do it, then i can relax and spend all of December wrapping presents.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast