New Year, New Home Challenge #1
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default New Year, New Home Challenge #1

Okay, my friends, today we will begin working on our bedrooms. Think about your bedroom…this should be a place that brings you peace and serenity. It is the room in which you sleep. It should not be a place that makes you feel stressed or upset, and we all now know how stressed and upset clutter can make us feel! The whole reason we are starting out with our bedrooms is so that we have a haven in our homes. A place to unwind at the end of the day where things are neat and clean.

However, the mere thought of clearing out a bedroom can make us feel equally as stressed as the clutter itself. Where on earth do you begin? In most of our bedrooms we have beds, dressers, nightstands, closets, and other pieces of furniture that collect clothes, books, knick-knacks, dust, and just plain old clutter. I, personally, feel that bedrooms should be warm and homey, but also pretty bare. You can create a homey sense with color and decorating. A room can be homey without having tons of stuff. An orderly room will certainly bring you a greater sense of peace than will one that is full of knick-knack stuff that is attempting to create a homey environment.

Where are we going to start? With your clothes.

I know, I know…it’s scary to have to take a hard look at your clothing and face the possibility of getting rid of some of it, but it really is a necessity. I have been in so many bedrooms where the closets and dressers are overflowing with clothes. I am friends with these people, and so I know that they certainly do not wear all of these clothes. Most people own more clothes than they could ever possibly wear; yet, they are loathe to get rid of them because they equate a full closet and a full dresser with success or wealth. Yes, I have heard the saying that “the clothes make the man/woman.” However, if you aren’t wearing all of those clothes, and if you don’t have space for all of those clothes, and if anyone ever saw your closet or dresser, what message does that REALLY send about you?

So, for Step One, I want you to empty out your dresser and your closet COMPLETELY. Yes, completely. I want nothing hanging, nothing folded, and nothing stuffed in a drawer. I want EVERYTHING out.

Now, you need to really take a good hard look at these things. Touch every single item of clothing. What should you keep? You should keep anything that you wear on a regular basis. You should keep anything that you remember wearing within the past eight months. If you haven’t worn it in eight months, chances are, you won’t wear it again. You should keep anything that is for special occasions. For example, I have one dress that I wear to every wedding we get invited to. I also have one suit that I wear to every funeral or wake I go to. Luckily, I haven’t worn the suit in the past eight months, but it is my funeral suit, and I know I will wear it again. I’m not getting rid of that. However, I have another suit that I used to wear to work, but that I just haven’t worn in about a year. (Even before I was pregnant…obviously I can’t toss everything I haven’t worn in eight months since I’ve been in maternity clothes for most of them, but you know what I mean.) I WILL be getting rid of this other suit.

If you have clothes that no longer fit, please don’t keep them in the hopes that you will one day fit into them again. Perhaps you will, but perhaps you won’t, and wouldn’t buying a new outfit be a wonderful way to reward yourself for losing that weight? (Yes, not entirely frugal, but when you’ve done something as great as lose a bunch of weight, spending some money on a reward is not a bad thing…you deserve it!)

In her book, Organizing Plain and Simple, Donna Smallin writes:
    “Simplify your wardrobe…Consider keeping only pieces that you can mix and match with other pieces. And pare down to only colors that really compliment your complexion. Most people look best in either brown and war (yellow, red, orange, gold) tones or black and cool (pink, blue, green, silver) tones. If you don’t know which category you fit into, notice what colors you are wearing when someone says, “You look very nice today.” They may be reacting more strongly to the color than to the outfit itself.”

I say, how many t-shirts do you need? How many jeans do you need? How many pairs of underwear do you need? Seriously. Think about your daily/weekly tasks. How do you need to be dressed? How often do you do laundry? Can you keep a few things clean and get rid of the rest? Just say goodbye and be rid of the extra clothes.

Don’t be afraid to get rid of clothes. It will not hurt you. You have a few options as to what to do with those clothes. You can donate them to a charitable organization, pass them along to a friend who might need some clothing, or you could take them to a consignment shop where they will sell them for you and give you a percentage of the profit. Either way, they will be out of your bedroom and you will have more space and less stress. (Less laundry, less clutter = less stress!) As an aside, I’d just toss the underwear…no one wants your hand-me-downs in that department.

Once you are done with the purge, and you have clothes that you are tossing in the garbage and you have clothes that you are donating in a box or bag, in the car, ready to go to its next destination, then it’s time to reload. (First, please check the thread on closet organization…it will give you some great ideas as to how to better organize your closet.) Hang items that need to be hung. Re-fold items that are to be placed on shelves or in drawers and put them back. Doesn’t your space look better already without clothes bursting out at the seams? I bet it does!

So, part one of our challenge is JUST your clothes. We will get to all those other places in in the bedroom soon, but for now, focus on those clothes!

Please check in and tell us how it is going. You have two weeks to complete this first part of the challenge. Take pictures if you can!
    Blog: http://amysreallife.com

Amy
    Wife to
    Mommy to 4
    Public School Teacher

Debt:
    Mortgage - $399,526.10
    Grocery Budget Challenge: $749.08/$800.00

Always remember others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself."

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds good! Thank you for the challange. I am off work on Monday so plan to get busy on it. I believe I will start with my dresser!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is a wonderful challenge! My bedroom is in chaos, no matter how I try to keep it neat. This is the incentive I need to actually accomplish getting it in order.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is a great challenge! One of my goals for 2008 is to declutter the whole house. Is it too late to join? I think it will help keep me motivated as it can be a bit overwhelming.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

ohhhh, the t-shirt drawer shall be the most difficult -

anyone else attached to their tee shirts like I am??

Oh- it's the concert tees that get me the most - it's just plain wrong to donate anything with Sting's face on it ::: drools:::

Maybe I'll cut out Sting's face and make PILLOW CASES! ::: sigh :::

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm in! I will work on this next weekend - this weekend I am buried in the CAVE of CHAOS.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's like you heard me calling for help. I was just looking at my bedroom this morning and thinking that I need to purge a ton of old clothes. Now I hope I can use your post for motivation. I'll try to check back later and post my progress. Because dang it, there will be progress before this day is over!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Anyone can join at any time!!!

Amy
    Wife to
    Mommy to 4
    Public School Teacher

Debt:
    Mortgage - $399,526.10

Always remember others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself."

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Perfect timing for this one! I've recieved alot of new & hand me down items lately, and I know there are some too big items lurking in my drawers to be gone! If I have enough ambition, I may go ahead and do ds's clothes, too. He's recieved quite a few clothing gifts and has gone up a size as well. I Know some fellow moms that will be happy to take his excess off my hands!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am sooooo glad you picked the clothes to start with first. I had clean out closets on my "to do list" already for the week. I was sick and tired of looking at all the clothes that aren't where they should be. DH has way too many tshirts. Half do not fit in the drawer anymore, so I will be tossing the older ones, the ones he does not wear anymore. He will never miss them. :-)

Do shoes count as clothing or will we do that another time?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm in, I'll start this tonight.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Shoes count, Michelle, although I probably should make that another category because it is definitely an area where people have some attachment issues.

Amy
    Wife to
    Mommy to 4
    Public School Teacher

Debt:
    Mortgage - $399,526.10

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I must have read your mind! I started this exact thing two days ago! But I still have more purging to do!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is great(I think ) I really need to get rid of some things esp. the two bags in my closet that I can no longer wear.

I'm gonna start on this tomorrow after I take the kids to school.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Talking

-- as if she looked in my room this morning!

I don't have to worry about emptying the closet -- everything is piled on my floor

Now I have a reason to actually build the drawers that have been sitting in the boxes since February 2007!!!

I think I am going to pop a dvd in and get to sorting --and purging-- the clothes.

If you don't hear from me tomorrow... call for help
    Last edited by Lady_V; 01-06-2008 at 08:08 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast