Article: Decorating with Imagination
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Article: Decorating with Imagination

When I decorate, I like to use my imagination and have some fun. This style of decorating lets everyone use their imagination that is usually hidden away. Many people can put an outfit together, but when it comes to putting a room together they are at a loss.

These ideas are just to help you get started. Let your imagination go and have some fun. It is your home and you want to feel comfortable and happy with the things that surround you. You may like lots of things around you or maybe you prefer no clutter at all. Either way, you can still make it fun and imaginative.

Warm, interesting and personal…that’s nice in a home. You can add some whimsy too. You can get lots of look for little money. In today’s world we have choices…many choices. We are not bound by what the so called ‘experts’ do or say about decorating. Good style is a matter of opinion. Use your likes and your dislikes as a guide to start with.

Call it eclectic, mix and match or even early attic. Whatever you call it…call it yours. Make it fun for you and for those who visit you as well. I use only one rule of thumb. I try not to mix too many large pieces with delicate pieces. You can even mix formal and informal as one way of getting a look that is uniquely yours.

Ideas to help you get started---

1. Use both indoor furniture and outdoor furniture together—wrought iron pieces with wooden pieces for example. Wicker is nice inside also with a few old wooden pieces. Bring those adirondack chairs inside, they’ll look great.

2. Use bright colored fabrics as throws. Mexican serapes make wonderful, colorful throws...

3. Homemade pillows of all shapes and sizes. Try not to go too small with these. Mix and match fabric prints, up to five, as long as they still have the same color scheme and tones...

4. Use large container plants inside to complement your outdoor furniture that you bring inside...

5. Use large terra cotta planters, add something decorative inside the planter (pine cones, shells, yarn balls) , add a glass top and you have a great side table...

6. Stencil windows, doors, floors, tables and walls, just little extra touches here and there. Don’t go overboard, as a little goes a long way...

7. Hang flea market wooden window frames on your porch above the rail or in a room and it will act as a divider...

8. Use pierced tin cans as unique and decorative light fixtures or luminarias...

9. Decorate your tables like a still life painting...

10. Add reflective things, like mirrors, shiny copper pots etc. to your walls to reflect light. ..

The main idea here is to have FUN!..

Yvonne is a wife, mother, grandmother, gardener, avid birder, artist and freelance writer. She enjoys the little things most of all and believes in living a simple life. Yvonne plays the dulcimer, loves to fish, has a passion for herbs, and loves making things from salvaged materials. Her motto is "Find what truly makes you happy". http://myinkspillersattic.homestead.com/homepage.html
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on FacebookSpurl this Post!Reddit!Wong this Post!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Nice article Sara. I like her motto "find what trully makes you happy".
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on FacebookSpurl this Post!Reddit!Wong this Post!