Three cheers for the grainmill
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Three cheers for the grainmill

The more I use my grainmill the more I love it. Today I ground up popcorn and made Dozymom's cornbread recipe. My kids ate almost all of it now (I did keep a small piece for dh).

They are eating bread (and the crust) now and won't even look at store bought.

If you have a chance, put it on your wishlist for Christmas. Once you have one, you'll never go back to regular flour!! There is just nothing like it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

that sounds really neat, i will have to see if i can find one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't mean to be nosey but... are they very expensive ????

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It's on my wishlist.
    HM cornbread sounds just way too delicious.

Sara

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My inlaws have one... they just told me last night.
    Is it alot of work though?
    I'd be interested to know more about them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, give us more details! The brand you like, approx. price etc. I'm very interested in this!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love mine, homesteadmama is referring to my cornbread which I make with

POPCORN!!!! yup I buy the big cheap bags of popcorn at Costco and make the NICEST fresh ground cornmeal. It tastes SOOOO good.

and I make it with fresh ground wheat.

Our mills are in Canadian dollars so I don't know if that is accurate. When I pay $350 for mine, which I think is what mine cost me 5 yrs back, it may have sold for half that or less in the States.

It has saved me a ton of money because I get grain WAY cheaper than flour lb for lb. And the pop corn

Health benefits include being able to use all different grains to keep allergies away.

For example one of my "pastry blends" is a combi of rice, millet, oats, buckwheat and barley that I grind.

Not too heavy on the buckwheat, it gives a strong flavour. Sometimes I include oats, sometimes not. All but the buckwheat is cheap and easy to find in the grocery store in the bulk bins or in big bags.

Buckwheat is NOT a wheat btw, and is a good tasty flour filled with minerals and vitamins. Buckwheat pancakes anyone?

This is IDEAL for biscuits, cakes and muffins where you don't want the tough gluten.

It gives the family a chance to have a grain product that isn't made of wheat so it gives their bodies a rest (allergy control) and gives different vitamins and minerals.

If you have serious gluten allergies or celiac disease in the family you will know exactly what I mean.

Those flours at the health food store are VERY expensive and often they are rancid already.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Talking Forgot to add

if the family likes white flour stuff, they will love a blend of hulled barley and rice.

It comes out a creamy white and you can use it in all quick bread recipes and it will look and taste "refined". Not at all like the whole grain stuff which it really is.

You can start off by using pearl barley and converted rice which are even whiter, and still have respectable vitamin content although less fibre. That will be even "whiter" and still have a fair amount of fibre from the pearl barley, and the vitamin content is pretty good.

Later start adding brown rice and hulled barley in increasing amounts. Sneaky way to give whole grain goodness without fighting.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the info !

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Mine is a Whisper Mill and in my opinion the quietest one that I checked out. A couple of the other ones sounded like jets taking off.

It is easy to clean and very easy to work.

Your turn it on first, add the grain and away it goes. Any flour you have left over, you freeze (so it doesn't go rancid) and you can use at any time.

It does take some experimenting at first to make the bread. Your working with a totally different medium, but once you've got a loaf figured out, you'll never go back. btw - you can also eat the bread you've experienced with - it just usually has a flat top.

I paid $399.00 for mine.

Here are a couple of websites:
    http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/whi...rain_mill.html

http://www.nutritionlifestyles.com/whisper.htm

When I purchased mine, I was going to get a hand mill, but dh told me no, it had to be electric because of my health. I have thanked him daily for that wisdom!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I ditto the electric vs hand. I have bouts of exhaustion, and occaisional arthritis. I couldn't possibly enjoy fresh ground flours in the variety we do if it was a hand cranked mill.

The electric one is simply turn on and use. In moments you have piles of lovely fresh flour to use.

I think for prepping it may be worth having a hand crank, as well, but not to rely on a hand crank only for putting out the amounts of flour you need on a weekly or monthly basis in normal living.

My first purchase would be an electric, then if I felt I wanted a hand crank for prepping I would look out for any of the ones people bought for Y2K and never used.

BTW if people bought a lot of grain for Y2K and never used it, if it was stored properly (and that is the key word, properly) it is still good.

And cheap. Just make sure it was properly stored, not damp, and definitely not insect ridden or in pails that once contained other stuff.

There were people storing grain in detergent buckets or worse. So be careful. Non food safe containers or ones that give off flavours to the grain are impossible.

Damp grain btw grows a nasty fungus that is poisonous called ergot. Terrible stuff. You want' to be sure when buying grain, even fresh grain from this year that it's very very dry!

I forget the moisture content, I bought enough grain for 5 years the year before Y2K (got a super deal) but I made extra sure of that at the time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow!! This is great info- thanks dozymom and Cj! I'm going to start scouring the paper, maybe someone will be selling a used one that I can start out with.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't know if the "buy and sell" papers are a Canadian thing only but they are the kind you can put a freeby ad into. Why not mention that you are looking for a grain grinder? Definitely poke thru the ads in the papers that you get.

I tend to look at the buy and sell at the newstand so I know before I buy it (costs 2$ comes out every other week) if there is somehting there I"m looking for.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How would I do homemade oatmeal?