Frugal Village Forums banner

chicken noodle soup Help

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  pop goes the weasel 
#1 ·
Ok I don't know if I have asked this before and I've searched so many threads and links that I'm cross eyed. I think the computer is even confused. So maybe you guys can help me. I want to make home made chicken noodle soup to can but can't find any timetables for canning or even a recipe for home canned noodle soup. Is this one of the few things that you can can? I didn't want to freeze noodles and add them later because they always get broken in the freezer. I want it canned instead of frozen so I can just open it when we need it fast. TIA

#2 ·
You can't home can noodles in the soup, you have to add them later. They would disintegrate during the high heat canning process of the pressure canner. Adding noodles or other starchy foods (flour or thickeners) would alter the heat penetration which could result in under-processing the soup, which could lead to bacteria growth.

You'll find more information and safe, tested recipes at the link to the National Center for Home Food Preservation below.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can5_meat.html

You might want to purchase a Ball Blue Book for more home canning recipes and information.

Chicken Soup
Source: Ball Blue Book
Yield: 8 pints or 4 quarts

4 quarts chicken stock
3 c. diced chicken (about one 3-pound chicken)
1-1/2 c. diced celery (about 2 stalks)
1-1/2 c. sliced carrots
1 c. diced onion (about 1 medium)
sale and pepper to taste
3 chicken bouillon cubes (optional)

Combine chicken stock, chicken, celery, carrots and onion in a large saucepot. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 30 minutes. Season to taste. Add bouillon cubes, if desired. Cook until bouillon cubes are dissolved. Ladle hot soup into hot jars, leaving 1-inch headspace. Adjust two-piece caps. Process pints 1-hour and 15-minutes, quarts 1-hour and 30-minutes, at 10-pounds pressure in a steam pressure canner.

#3 ·
Grainlady, you amaze me!!! You are so helpful and knowledgable.
Are you one of those savant Bosch ladies, several of whom are my friends her in Indiana??

#5 ·
Thanks for the nice words! I'm not one of those "savant Bosch ladies". I'm not even sure what that is (LOL).... I do own a rather old Bosch Coffee/Spice mill, does that count?

I'm a Kansas State University Research and Extension Master Food Volunteer and I've taught home canning, along with other foods and nutrition classes. The Frugal Village is a great place to share.

#6 ·
I haven't canned bean and bacon soup, but here's a recipe for bean soup. I no longer do home canning because it is no longer cost effective for me, with utilities being so high, and our low use of these types of foods. I prefer freezing, dehydrofreezing and dehydrating as preferred methods for home food preservation these days. We are primarily whole foods people these days, so high-heat processed, home-canned foods aren't all that large a part of our diet.

Do you have access to a Cooperative Extension Service (aka County Extension Office - usually connected to a State University)? They have all kinds of free hand-outs about home canning you may want to take advantage of.

Source: Ball Blue Book:

Bean Soup

Yield: about 5 pints or 2 quarts

2 c. dried navy beans (about 1 pound)
1 ham hock or 1/4 pound salt pork
1/2 c. chopped onion (about 1/2 medium)
1/2 hot pepper, finely chopped
Salt to taste

Cover beans with cold water and soak 12-18 hours in a cool place. Drain. Cover beans with water by 2 inches. Add meat, onion and pepper, bring to a boil in a large saucepot. cover and simmer 2-3 hours or until beans are tender. Remove meat and cut into small pieces. Press remaining ingredients through a sieve or food mill. Return meat to soup. Ladle hot soup into hot jars, leaving 1-inch headspace. Adjust two-piece caps. Process pints 1 hour and 15 minutes, quarts 1 hour and 30 minutes at 10 pounds pressure in a steam-pressure canner.

Note: When cutting or seeding hot peppers, wear rubber gloves to prevent hands from being burned.

#8 ·
I probably wouldn't can either due to high utility costs but I do my canning over an open fire. I perferred canned over frozen and also we have alot of power outages here that can last up to a week or more. The last outage we lost alot of stuff. You'd think we live in Upper Siberia or somewhere as long as it takes to get power back on. Thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.