Using empty glass mayonaise jars
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Using empty glass mayonaise jars

Okay, I have about 3 dozen quart glass mayonaise jars.
    I know years ago, when money was tight, that I would use them as back up jars when doing water bath processing.

I was thinking they would be good for storing dry food.
    I need to find a use for them, or take them to the recyle bin this week. I been sorting through my canning jars. My son gave me a bunch of them he found. Deciding what to keep and what to sell.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I use the mayo jars for gifts -- food mixes. . . small items. . . .

Best received one is where I painted the jar red. . .added white fake fur trim at the top. . . a few small black buttons on the side. Put in some samples that I'd gotten free. . .and gave to some ladies at the nursing home. They loved it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

They don't rec. them for canning but I know my mom and an aunt always used them. They are thinner and can't take heat as well.

Storing dried food would be a good idea and you could decorate the outside really cute for counter top sitting.

The 'jar gift' idea sounds cute. I might do some for the nursing home that I volunteer at. Even just put wrapped hard candies in them after decorating. All sorts of gift ideas come to mind. I have some pint size ones too.

I would never buy them at my thrift shops as they price them the same price as canning jars and canning jars they are not!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

what a treasure as ours are all plastic now!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mauimagic View Post
    what a treasure as ours are all plastic now!!
    Yes, so when I found some pint ones in the free canning jars I got this week I was thrilled!

The nursing home people seem to like their 'hard candies'.....a great size for those.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Make sure that the glass is stamped with a canning jar name on them before you use them in the canner or water bath...They will break in processing ....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Brat View Post
    Make sure that the glass is stamped with a canning jar name on them before you use them in the canner or water bath...They will break in processing ....
    That is correct.
    I have however used them many years ago, when water bath canning as a back up jar. Maybe they were stronger jars back then. Every once in awhile, one would break, but sometimes a regular canning jar would also break. I guess it also depended on the age of the jar. I had close to 1000 jars and used to can about 600 a year.

I am going to see if a friend wants these I have now. If not, they go to the recycle place. I just do not have room for them.

And when people say the old wire bail ones are not good either, I just smile now. I recently sold to 2 different people 3 dozen in total. People like to use them for storing dry foods. Sure beats me putting them into recycle bins.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Growing up we used them just like Mason jars and were happy to have them. I still have a few in my rotation and use them normally, but I don't do much water bath canning.

I use the plastic ones, glass ones and any other jar I can find for things like Sauer Kraut that dosen't need to be sealed. Works great for that and lets me keep the good jars for other things.

I have never had a mayo jar break but oddly enough a few weeks ago I was canning some grape juice and had 3 mason jars break.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am currently using a quart plastic jar with lid, under the sink to store my SOS pads in. Keeps the moisture out. I also now cut the pads in half before I put them in the jar. Most jobs you can get by with only half a pad.

Just had a dawning of the light bulb moment. I have been using a couple of my good mason jars for feed dishes for the baby chicks. You buy the screw on bottom either for the water or the grain. I think I will switch for a few of these old mayonaise jars instead. Then wash and sterilize the good jars I will rescue.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well before you think I have gone off the deep end with this subject, I need to explain. I like to find a good use for things, without having to throw things out.
    So this morning, I head to town for errands and one of them is the recycle place. Yup, I have those jars on the back of the truck and all intentions of leaving them in the bin. So I get the truck parked and start to unload the other stuff first. This lady is parked next to me and next thing I know I hear myself asking....say, could you use a few clothes hangers ?
    She looks at me, and says, well not me, but my mom sure could. Oh good, I say and hand them over. She says her mom is in a nursing home, and somebody keeps stealing all her hangers.
    So I then go back to task at hand, and grab the first box of jars. Then I ask the same lady a second question. Any chance you have need of some emply glass jars ? She says, no I don't need any for myself . But..........I do know someone who might. Oh cool, I say, how many do you want ? One, two or three boxes ?
    Well she took all three of them Seems so this lady in a small town runs a natural food place and is always looking for glass jars to put dry food in.
    So the jars are gone. I'm happy. And the other lady is going to make two other ladies happy. A win win happy ending

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Glad to hear you found them a good home.

I wonder if the plastic containers that Chinese soup takeout comes in seal good enough to use for dry bean and rice storage.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Way to go LTD...........and it is always great to see them go to someone rather than just a thrift shop delivery!

Glad you found a place for them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know. I've seen them at yard sales too. I just shake my head.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm beginning to think the jar companies are trying to fool us.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That's funny! My Dh & I are going in on some chickens with a friend & I saw the waterer/feeder sitting on a shelf in the chicken coop. It was a mayo jar. I told him that if it ever breaks, I have plenty. My DD's grandmother-in-law gave me a bunch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast