Pressure Cooker

Thread: Pressure Cooker

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Pressure Cooker

18 April 2012 Pressure Cooker 18 April 2012 Pressure Cooker

Pressure cookers have got a bad name, since when cooking items like peas and beans the rocker hole can get plugged from small particles like skins bubbling up blocking the exit, pressure builds up and the safety valve blows and scares people away. When the safety valve blows there is as miserable mess to clean up, usually from the ceiling of the kitchen.

To eliminate the blocking problem, I use a calendar with the handles knocked off. Handles are knocked off with a sharp blow from a hammer, since they are only spot welded. When inserted into the pressure cooker, there is about two to three inches for the water, which doesn't touch any food placed in the calendar, hence the items are steam cooked, and no bubbling occurs. My calendar has been in operation for over 20 years. I have also used the all steel butterfly steam device with feet. It is equally as effective.

The gasket should last for the life of the pressure cooker if a film of vegetable oil is applied to the metal surface, where the gasket sits prior to use. Also the lid should never be used loose to cover the pot, since heat builds up and destroyes the gasket. The pressure cooker may be used as a boiling pot, but never use the gasketed lid as a cover.

The best cooker on the market is the Presto, since it has a dead simple effective closing mechanism. Some of the new types now on the market are complicated with silly elaborate safety devices which are a recipe for trouble down the line, and serve no real purpose.

One more caveat. The bottom of the pot can get warped if placed on high heat with no water, or the water gets all evaporated. If this occurs the pot will not sit flat on the heating surface. There is a bulge.

To finish off a roast or some other products, I do the cooking in the pressure cooker and add any condiments or whatever in another pot to complete the cooking process. In other words all the pressure cooker contains is the product and water for steam cooking.

When beginning the cooking process, let all the air out of the cooker by operating for five or ten minutes without the rocker in place, then apply and rocker for the appropriate cooking time. Air inside the cooker will create an insulation and uneven cooking.

I have experienced all the problems mentioned at one time in my life, so my comments are from very practical experience.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Pretty sure you mean colander, but yes, good suggestions. I've never thought to add an oil film, makes sense.

Registered User greekislandgirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm saving up to buy a new pressure cooker. I got one in 2010 and I need a new one already. I'm going to get a high quality one this time. The first was a gift so not my choice, but this time around I'm going for something reliable. I love pressure cooking, I use it at least 5x/week, but I want one that works well!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

They now make electric ones that are much safer.
    When I get one, I am going electric

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I find it hard to improve on the Presto. I even take mine camping. The new Presto even has a grove to keep the gasket in place. The older models only had a grove and it was a bit miserable. I have two Prestos both have the same mechanism. One is tall for canning and ghe other is for daily use due to being smaller.

[ame="http://www.amazon.ca/Presto-6-Quart-Stainless-Pressure-Cooker/dp/B00006ISG6"]Presto 6-Quart Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker: Amazon.ca: Home & [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@415859xKPRL[/ame] Everyday use.

[ame="http://www.amazon.ca/National-Presto-01781-23-Quart-Pressure/dp/B0000BYCFU/ref=pd_sim_k_1"]Presto 23-Quart Pressure Canner: Amazon.ca: Home & [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@41J2WXVHVRL[/ame] Canner

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i have the presto pressure canner and love it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have been pressure cooking for almost 37 years. I am still using my aluminum presto pressure cooker. I have replaced the gasket. I have bought a stainless one. I can't remember the name of it.
    I have NEVER had a problem with uneven cooking or anything else. I have used 2 or 3 pressure cookers for one meal. Pork chops and scalloped potatoes are done in 15 minutes and beef stew is done in 12 minutes. The meat is soooooo tender you can cut it with a fork.
    Can you tell; I LOVE my pressure cookers and anyone who works full time should absolutely have one. Delicious; healthy meals in a very short time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by craftypam View Post
    I have been pressure cooking for almost 37 years. I am still using my aluminum presto pressure cooker. I have replaced the gasket. I have bought a stainless one. I can't remember the name of it.
    I have NEVER had a problem with uneven cooking or anything else. I have used 2 or 3 pressure cookers for one meal. Pork chops and scalloped potatoes are done in 15 minutes and beef stew is done in 12 minutes. The meat is soooooo tender you can cut it with a fork.
    Can you tell; I LOVE my pressure cookers and anyone who works full time should absolutely have one. Delicious; healthy meals in a very short time.
    beef stew?? yum yum! I am still learning how to cook using my pressure cooker. Do you mind sharing your recipe?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Brown the beef with onion, add cut up carrots and potatoes. Add 1 cup or so of water; I never measure because of using my pressure cooker for so many years. Bring pressure up and when it starts rocking put timer on for 12 minutes. When timer goes off cool under water. My dh does not like gravy; if you do take out meat and vegetables and thicken broth with flour or cornstarch