Pressure Canning and water bath
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Pressure Canning and water bath

Okay, I been canning today, because I have to get the 2 freezers somewhat empty. I am supposedly to be gifted with a quantiy of meat. Meat is 2012, 2011, etc. It has been vaccumed packed. I think a good part of it is going to be good to use. Maybe not perfect quality but useable. I figure some of the older stuff, can be canned for dog food if it comes down to that. I am thinking hamburg.

I also have been to a few food giveaways this past month, and some of the stuff I have gotten is in big packages. I have a gallon of soy sauce. Label says refrigerate. I want to can it in small jars. Maybe 8 oz size. Not sure to water bath or pressure can it. I would need the time to do it for.

I just did a water bath for 20 minutes for some steak sauce. I used 8 oz jars. I am wondering if that should have been pressure canned and for how long. I have a feeling the pressure canner will be the way to go on this.

I have some frozen alfredo sauce. I have it in a big pot now, thawing out on low heat. I am thinking pressure canning for this. I was hoping to do this in pint jars.

I have pulled my Ball canning book and gone through it. No help there. I have another big recipe book and have read that. Nope. I have googled and found a few things but nothing I am 100 % sure of to use. Any ideas ?

I made 9 pints of jam made this morning. Water bathed them. So all set there. I have frozen grapes I need to process. Plan is to run them through a big juicer I have and water bath plain grape juice. Nothing added. I figure I can make jam at a later date with the juice.

I have to can what I can. I need the freezer space for meat.

The hubby is retiring any day now, and I am highly motivated, trying to do whatever I can to save a buck.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Soy sauce does not need to be refrigerated. I don't care what the label says. It's so high in salt how could it possibly spoil? We used to buy soy sauce two or three gallons at a time because we rarely got to Minneapolis where the Korean food store was, and we preferred their Korean soy sauce. That was at least a couple years' worth for our family and nothing ever spoiled even after it was opened.

IMO, if in doubt, pressure can. Use the time and pressure guidelines for whatever ingredient is in your recipe that would need to be processed the longest and under the most pressure if canned by itself, and in my unprofessional, untested opinion, that should be safe.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I took a couple of canning classes from the Master food preservers at my extension office and they said the same thing.

If you are canning food with multiple ingredients, can to the ingredient that needs the longest time. They were referring to pressure canning.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for confirming my uneducated theory, Birdie. I intend to can some soups and had worked it out in my mind that's what I'd have to do to be safe.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the replies

I figured I would have to can to the highest number of minutes if using mixed ingrediants. There is no list of ingrediants on the alfredo sauce. So I am assuming there is milk in that so probably I can't can that.

Soy sauce , I would like to break down into smaller containers. Once I open the gallon, I figure I am stuck with it in the refrig. Not going to happen. I need my frig space for eggs. The hens are doing 24-27 eggs a day.

It's a household of 2 here. I am trying to get food in the right container size so it gets used and not wasted.

When I was a young mom, I used to can 600 to 650 jars a year. And another 100 for my mom, and 100 for my MIL. I swear I lived in the kitchen. Had a good size garden and 2 freezers running also.

I ran across a recipe for 10 bean soup this morning.
    I may have to try that pressure canned

I found this website this morning while doing
    my google search. I think it is interesting.
    http://www.simplycanning.com/
    Last edited by ladytoysdream; 03-06-2014 at 01:31 PM.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yeah, soy sauce doesn't need to be kept in the fridge. Mine is over the stove. I should buy it in gallons, I go through it that fast.

Where did the alfredo sauce come from? You can usually look up any brand name on the web and find the list of ingredients and nutrition label that would have come on the original package.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wasn't happy with the soy sauce that I pressure canned. It tasted terrible.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We don't normally use soy sauce. I was thinking it might make a good maranaide ? I was wondering if canning would make the taste more stronger.

Alfredo sauce has no list of ingrediants. Just a bunch of numbers. When it was made and best use date is May of 2014. It comes frozen flat. Like a half gallon size bag. I think it was in a bigger box, maybe 6 per box. The boxes get thrown away. I should have weighed the bag before I emptied it into my big pot. I am thinking now, I should just refreeze it , into smaller containers. I have used this product before and really liked it. No clue what the name is.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Really, you don't need to keep opened soy sauce in the fridge. Again, it's so high in salt it's self-preserving. But if you don't use it, why do you plan to waste space keeping it? Can you donate it, or keep some of it and share the rest with someone else?

If you want to put it in smaller containers, just put it in glass jars with non-metallic caps. Or use metal caps but put a piece of plastic wrap under the cap before screwing it on so the caps don't rust.

I wouldn't try to can the alfredo sauce.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Soy sauce is a great marinade. Use it just by itself, or make an asian sauce out of it with garlic and ginger. It's a main ingredient for teriyaki sauce.

Use it in place of salt in dishes like meatloaf, soup, burgers... it also adds a lot of flavor to vegetables. You can even make salad dressing with it. I couldn't cook without soya.

Do what the asian restaurants do, put some in a small bottle for daily use, and store the jug in a cool dark place.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    Really, you don't need to keep opened soy sauce in the fridge. Again, it's so high in salt it's self-preserving. But if you don't use it, why do you plan to waste space keeping it? Can you donate it, or keep some of it and share the rest with someone else?
    Well if I can find someone who needs it, I probably will give it away. I was just hoping to find a use for it myself. I am in experimental mode lately

I'm trying to learn to cook with more flavor.
    I'm really a plain jane cook.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Be careful using it if you're on a reduced-sodium diet though.

We keep a bottle in our camper where it gets pretty hot sometimes. No harm done that we've ever noticed.

Thanks for bringing this up. I dragged out the big bottle of Kikkoman soy sauce I have in the pantry and found in the fine print that it says to refrigerate it. I never noticed. They're telling me about fifty years too late though. LOL. I don't plan to put it in the fridge. But I happened to set the bottle next to an empty mustard bottle I was using for mayo in the camper. The hole in the mustard lid is too small which makes it sort of a pain to use. I happened to think maybe the soy sauce lid would fit the mustard bottle, which would be good since there's a large hole in the soy sauce lid. Perfect! So now the soy sauce is back in the pantry sporting a nice bright pointy yellow mustard cap, and the soy sauce lid is sitting by the sink to be washed and repurposed. You helped me solve a problem and you didn't even know it!

I just love the weird ways conversations lead from one thing to another sometimes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    Be careful using it if you're on a reduced-sodium diet though.
    You helped me solve a problem and you didn't even know it!
    I just love the weird ways conversations lead from one thing to another sometimes.
    I don't use hardly any salt. The poor hubby has to salt his food on his own. I can tell if a processed food has too much salt. I won't eat it after the first bit. Maybe why, I like scratch cooking a lot.

Glad you figured out your lid problem

I'm chasing down a few lids right now so I can go ahead and freeze the alfredo sauce. I am trying to stay on track today. Guess I need to bring the frozen grapes in and start juicing, so I can water bath them tomorrow. The freezer is in the garage. No room in the kitchen.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We used to own Concord grapes. I would freeze them, too, then can up jam when I had time and less urgent items to can. Winter is perfect for canning. Who wants to can during the dog days of summer?

Anyway, I never juiced my grapes, I just defrosted them in a pot and when enough juice leaked out I'd gently turn on the heat. As they continued to heat up, more juice would be made so I could turn up the heat without them burning. When they had all defrosted, I ladled out most of the solid bits (the skins) with a strainer-ladle that I bought at a Chinese supply store. I'd then use the juice to make grape "jam" (not jelly which would be clear-ish). Grapes, especially grape skins, have so much pectin, it seemed almost silly to add boxed pectin.

Since I was using the grape jelly at home and not entering it into any contests, I didn't care if it was a bit cloudy because I hadn't triple strained it. The flavor was knock-you-on-your-behind intense!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A small sample of my effort at canning produce. About 400 liters all told for the 2014 Winter. Only about 100 liters are still remaining. I personally have consumed about 300 liters about 1.5 liters per day.

All Here durgan.org | Garden Journal Started 2011. Garden Journal, Brantford Ontatrio Zone 5. Property 0.4 Acre with large vegetable garden and fruit trees. Produce is pressure canned, dehydrated, and cold room stored. Objective is to avoid commercial process

Sample.
    13 September 2013 Juicing Plums. 13 September 2013 Juicing Plums
    12 September 2013 Juicing Apples. 12 September 2013 Juicing Apples
    17 August 2013 Vegetable Juicing 17 August 2013 Vegetable Juicing Current garden
    31 July 2013 Blueberry. 31 July 2013 Blueberry
    19 July 2013 Bush Berries Juicing. 19 July 2013 Bush Berries Juicing

I pressure can all at 15 PSI for 15 minutes to simplify matters.The purpose is to raise the contents of the jars to 240F which kills all bacteria. Most of the work is completed outdoors and it is not at all onerous.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast