UGH - mushrooms!!!
Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    23,290
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries
    15
    Rep Power
    49

    Thumbs down UGH - mushrooms!!!

    On one side of our home is a spot where a garden was with who knows what before we got here. The lady who lived here wasn't much of a gardener. Last year I planted tomatoes there and they weren't all that successful, but did produce some.

    I decided this year to make it into a perennial garden and I've planted poppies, lilies, lavendar and Johnny popups there.

    Yesterday I went outside and saw this huge what thing popping up. It actually looked like a baseball and I pulled it out. It was a huge mushroom. I show the kids and thought it was pretty neat. I don't have a clue to mushrooms, so I didn't eat it!!

    Well this morning I go outside to check my perennials and one of my poppies are "popped out" of the garden. They were doing so well. I thought the stray cats had gotten into it. Nope another huge mushroom.

    Help, what do I do now? We've had so much rain, but there are no mushrooms on the lawn, like there usually is and they are usually so small you can barely see them.

    Anyone else have this type of problem?

  2. #2
    Registered User captclearance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Illinois
    Age
    59
    Posts
    8,337
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    I really know very little about them or controlling them..... I do know that some are VERY TOXIC ! Even pulling them up can be dangerous, they release spores that are harmful to breath. Be careful removing them.....

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    1,082
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Not sure if this recipie works on all mushrooms, but here's one I found to combat the ones in your lawn:

    1 cup baby shampoo
    1 cup Listerine
    1 cup ammonia

    Mix ingredients in a 20 gallon hose end sprayer. Sprinkle powder laundry detergent on affeced area, then overspray with the mixture until the water starts to run off.

Similar Threads

  1. mushrooms in my garden....
    By IntlMom in forum Homesteading and gardening
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-28-2012, 01:19 PM
  2. Growing mushrooms
    By Spirit Deer in forum Homesteading and gardening
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-02-2011, 09:05 AM
  3. Not mushrooms too
    By YankeeMom in forum Health and beauty
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-16-2010, 10:51 AM
  4. Mushrooms
    By winner in forum Just Tips
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-06-2008, 11:49 PM
  5. need help with mushrooms
    By Missy in forum Kitchen Basics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-08-2007, 11:53 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •