2019 Gardening, Foraging and Preserving the Goods
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default 2019 Gardening, Foraging and Preserving the Goods

I love gardening, knowing where my food comes from and how much money it saves my family. I can, freeze and dehydrate my gardens bounty. We are learning how to raise animals for food and I'm learning to forage. Last fall we planted blueberries, red raspberries blackberries, asparagus and jerusalem artichokes in permanent beds.

This year my garden will be the biggest it has ever been and I want to plant fruit trees of all kinds next winter.

I'm in Mississippi and my gardening zone is 8. I was able to winter over peas that are currently blooming, cabbage, collard greens, broccoli and brussel sprouts. I used a plastic tent over the peas and Walls of Water to protect the rest of the plants from the cold winter temps and the plants are doing great!

Today I got my seed starting containers rounded up and if it ever quits raining I will dig up some dirt to fill them up. I'm getting anxious to get the seeds started.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Aside from a respectable garden, we have several fruit trees in our yard which afford us the bounty of fresh and canned eating year-round.

Bounty from our garden consists of tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, radishes, lettuce, carrots, garlic, peas, and beans, and nothing compares to the fresh grown goodness of garden bounty!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I purchased a bunch of garden supplies, seeds and plants yesterday. Some of them are considered "exotic" to us Americans. Some of the items I bought were pepino melon, tigger melon, orcah (colored spinach), giant bullet head wax melon (can weigh up to 75#), Chinese python snake bean, pink celery and kajari melon. If these taste good and produce well I would like to take them to the local farmers market in a couple of years to sell.

Last weekend I harvested the main head of broccoli off my 6 plants and it was enough for one meal, they were starting to bloom. The peas I wintered over are starting to fill the pods...couple more weeks and I should be eating fresh peas.

I'm ready to start planting seeds indoors but my daughter and family will be moving here next weekend so I decided to wait so that my granddaughter can help me plant the seeds if she wants to.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good luck with the new plants.

Sigh. You're so lucky to have plants that overwinter in your area well enough to get even a small harvest. I'm not going to pick up new seeds for another month or so. I don't have the space to start/plant anything indoors and it's way too cold to plant anything outside for a couple more months.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I went to a friend's house a week ago and helped butcher 7 ducks and 2 chickens. We cut out the backs and necks and canned those. Gizzards, livers and hearts stayed with the hostess. The butterflied ducks and chickens are being smoked and divided up among the butcherers!
    I have the jars of canned duck meat/bones back and have already shared them around the office. I have plans for "duck and noodle" soup one of these weekends. I am awaiting the arrival of the smoked meat with great anticipation.

I don't have a way or place to store it long so that too will be shared out. I find that encouraging this sharing ends up with others sharing back to me so it evens out and we all get something we don't normally get to have.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Maggie - I love that idea of working together and sharing what you made.

We have the garden and flower beds tilled and ready to plant. Hopefully by the end of the month we can plant seeds directly in the soil. Started a bunch of seeds in the house this weekend. Waiting on strawberry plants to be delivered.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

is anyone canning or foraging