My 2019 Gardening Thread - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My raised garden is about two feet deep. It didn't get enough support to keep it from bowing out. It is made of cedar about 4 boards high with supports at the end and the middle. It started bowing in the middle.

Dh did mention growing some things in pots on the deck. That's probably what I'll do for now. There are just too many other things that need more attention this year, including aging parents that are taking soooo much time right now.

We are also caring for ds' dogs while he's deployed and I've caught them jumping into my raised bed. Maybe I'll get it all fixed by the end of the year and it will be ready for next year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There's never enough time for home projects, so I get that.

One our huskies used to jump up on our counter height table garden so she could lay in the sun on the warm dirt. She liked to curl up in a big round pot, too. And sleep on the pool table in the house, too. You would think the couch would have been more comfy than slate.

I got the seeds started in the little indoor gh. Our house is cool so I'm not sure how well they will sprout. It's still too cold here to do anything in the outside greenhouse.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hope things warm up for you soon, SD.

Started turning the soil over in my plot over the weekend. I still need to pick up seeds but I can do that in the next week or so. The first official 'work' day for the garden is in May. That's when we make sure we have our money and paperwork in as well as do some cleanup from the winter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sigh. My local Wegmans no longer carries seeds. Apparently this particular store is considered "too small". (It's pretty big.) So I'll have to go to my local Lowes or Home Depot to get my seeds. Sigh.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am wondering what to do this year since I will be away for a few weeks in the summer. don't plan on doing much except getting ds to work lol stuff my older hands can't do like trimming edges of lawn. got him to pull up all the maple tree seedlings that have spouted everywhere yesterday. told him better to do it in the sun after rain easier. owes me money.

realized that with the new fence of the neighbours that just goes to the front of the house, I can plant some clematis there. I have one in the front that hasn't done well for years because it is just too hot in the front. too much sun. have to figure out how to move it since it is small but in a bunch of other plants. they built a new house new owners so old fence came down w all the vines etc on it. original fence only went to the back of the house. pots of lilies etc from the house down the street. need to figure things out. stuff needs moving too..my thornless blackberries never are sweet. I have all types here from very hot too much sun to lots of shade.

really just have to protect everything from family ...kids are teens now so no more trampolines etc. time for moving things and a grownup garden.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got some work done on my plot. I do need to pick up from seeds but have to go to Lowes for them. My local Wegmans no longer has them as their corporate office thinks this particular store is "too small".

But my local farmer's market opens in two weeks so I can get some plants already started (I usually get tomato starts). This year, I'm taking charge of the herb plot and I need to keep an eye out for herbs to replace what finally died out. The mint and sage are going strong but a good portion of the rest didn't survive. I need to ask about perennials.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I really like our mini gh this year since I added lights. The big light is florescent so gives off nice heat for the plants along with full spectrum light. The top 2 are LED red and blue, so the plants look purple. Things are growing nicely.

The flowers in the back at the bottom are some we bought. They love the gh too. Next year I plan to start more plants, since these are doing so well. I hope we get a lot done on our garden area, namely fencing. We're limited what we can grow without fencing, with the deer around.

My 2019 Gardening Thread-20190423_162906_1556056006684.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD, we had to put deer fencing around the garden I'm a part of, because we have a lot of deer. I'm a little concerned about the new fruit trees that the Scouts are putting in. Right now they're small and are easy pickings for the deer. During the warm months, it should be that bad with all the grass (especially the lawns). But during the fall, the deer might go a-munching.

This coming weekend, we're going to have a pre-opening work weekend, to get some clean-up done around the garden. Next weekend's the official 'opening/start' weekend, where we have to hand in our money and paperwork. I think I'll get some work done this coming weekend on my garden since Saturday should be nice.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Deer will eat the fruit and the trees themselves, even if there's grass. We have 2 ornamental apple trees and our deer prune them nicely over winter every year. They also eat the apples off our other trees if they're not fenced, and the blossoms, too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about with all these new trees going in. Especially since they're small and at an easy height for the deer to munch. Then again, we have a lot of other trees that might distract the deer from our trees.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You might be surprised how high a deer can reach, because they will stand on their hind legs to eat something. They can also jump a 6 ft fence fairly easily.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Fortunately, there's a lot of food available for the local deer to munch on before they would need to go for the new trees. That and the garden's by the police, fire, and EMS departments so there are a lot of noise and lights going on in that area.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got some work done in the garden on Saturday, despite it being chilly. A few of us did some cleanup and I got some work done on my own plot. Yay. Finally picked up some seeds, although I'll be picking up some plants this coming Saturday at the local farmer's market.

Took a quick look at the trees the Scouts planted. Right now, they pretty much look like vertical straight twigs with leaves running up the top bits. But it does look like they have decent root balls so they may actually do ok, provided the deer stay away from them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got some more work done in my garden (and a sunburn to boot). We had the spring cleanup over the weekend. I do have to finish weeding out part of my plot but at least I have some seeds and seedlings in the ground now. Having it rain on Sunday helped water my seed/lings.

I'm going to try a seed tape deal this year. One of the other gardeners tried it but they didn't grow for her. Oh well. At least it's a trial.

Need to pick up some herbs in a couple weekends (I'll be away the coming weekend). I've decided to take over the care of the herb plot since I know I tend to really cut a lot of them. Besides, the mints tend to take over if they're not regularly pruned.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We're still working on the gh and new raised garden. The window is installed now and almost done. It's a big relief to have it this far along. Forecast today is for rain and white stuff so most likely nothing more will get done for a little while. Better than wildfires though.

The plants I started in the indoor gh are doing great. It should help us save a little money. If it goes well, I plan to start a lot more stuff next year. I'm going to try growing some tomatoes in the gh all summer this year, because I think our climate here is too cool for them. It's a theory anyway. That's why I wanted the window installed now, for days when it will get too hot in there. With the window, we will be able to run an exhaust fan now.

I sure hope some of these ideas work out.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast