My 2019 Gardening Thread - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hope the gh works out, SD. In my area, tomatoes do well but peppers, not so much. At least not for me. I don't really have the room to put up an indoor gh and I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving the grow lights on when I'm away or asleep anyway.

I did stop by the plot yesterday evening to get some weeding done. The past few years, I pretty much did most of my weeding on Sundays, some planting on Saturdays (when I picked up stuff from the farmer's market), and occasionally harvested when I thought it needed it. But I'm glad I got some work in during the week. I've been meaning to get back in to the garden more during the week for the past couple of years. It also helped to see that the one tomato plant I planted so far has survived the transplant. The cucumbers are still small but I'll wait and see if they really get going soon.

I'm curious about the seed tape I picked up over the weekend but didn't get it in the ground yesterday.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

As I expected most of my seedlings did not survive vacation. Some did not even germinate. I have a horrible gnat infestation in the potting soil I used and while they are not supposed to affect seedlings I have to wonder. I am trying to let the pots dry out enough to kill the gnats, but not so much it kills the seedlings, too. I re-seeded everything over the weekend. Unfortunately last nights rain completely soaked the tray, so no chance of drying out soon.

I went to the community garden and got 3 different pepper plants, a few tomatoes (4?) and a tomatillo. I bought rosemary at the hardware store along with some flowers for the deck pots. The garden was giving away random plants and I took a red day lily. All of it needs to be planted.

Checked the garden last night. Onions and garlic growing like crazy. Lettuce and beets are up, but looks like about half did not germinate or got fried on a hot day. A few carrot fronds, no sign of the chard/spinach. Radishes need a few more days and I will start picking them.

Nutsedge coming up everywhere. Sigh. Also the usual grapevine, dandelion, mulberry, etc.

There was no sign of the asparagus the day before we left, it is now over my head! One of these years we will get a decent harvest. All the new roots I planted last year are dust. Ditto strawberries, I think only 2 plants remain. DH is going to help me take the cage apart so we can plant tomatoes there.

I got the side wildflower bed cleaned up yesterday. There's a pair of bushes growing wild and spindly, I need to figure out what they are and how to prune them to make them look better.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorry to hear you lost some things, CH. As well as missed out on some things.

I'd like to try asparagus one of these days but I don't feel comfortable planting it in my plot, seeing as I'm in a community garden. They won't allow berry bushes in the garden itself since they tend to spread. (They used to at one point but have since decided against it.) I have the feeling the asparagus would do the same. At least we have a small area of raspberry bushes outside the actual community plot area.

My strawberries are going crazy so I'll probably get a lot again this year. I have some already fruited that just need to ripen. My lavender, on the other hand, seems to have finally died. I planted it about 7 years ago, when I first got my plot. But that's ok, it'll open up an area where I can put other herbs. I just have to dig it out.

We have a small pollinator plot to attract bees and butterflies. Someone moved a plant from in front of the house (it's the last remaining structure of the old farm that's since been bought by the township) and put it in that plot. Not sure if it's an iris or lily of some sort but it's doing well and is a legacy from the last owners.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like you have lots of work to reclaim your garden, CH. But some good news there, too.

And it sounds like your garden is off to a good start, Ren. Our indoor gh is small, less than 6 square ft. It could be set in a bright window instead of having lights, but with our weather and being so far north, we don't get enough sun. We haven't had lights in there before but it's working out well so far.

I'm envious of you both, since we're under a stinkin' WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY here. We're supposed to get up to 3 inches of white crap overnight.

I hotfooted it outside this morning while Husby was gone and built the little shed roof over the new window so that's protected ahead of the storm. The rain started shortly after I was done, so when Husby got home we didn't get a chance to deal with any dirt. We have to take our progress where we can get it with this weather.

I

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LOL! Weather guy on TV just said by this time tomorrow he will be run out of town. He's probably not wrong. I'm back to yelling "SHUT UP!" at these guys. Enough of winter already!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

split the basket of geraniums 5 big ones so put 4 in two hanging baskets and one in the urn w the other flowers. hung the 3 hanging baskets. have to figure out what to do with the planter where I want it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Gah, SD. We're getting mostly rain and fluctuating between mid-50*'s to mid-70*'s, depending on whether it's sunny or cloudy. I'm pretty sure this is going to be another wet year, like last year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We went into town this morning and met a sss plow heading for the garage. The sss was already about gone, but there was some stuck on the plow blade so they were actually plowing. We had a trace on the ground, and that's gone already. Now it's just rain. We might make it to 50 degrees today.

Between and during rain showers, we threw dirt from old pots into the new garden bed. I spread a couple bags of compost on top so that part is all done. Still have to wire up the trellises, lay down the weed barrier, and spread out some mulch we'll buy next week. Then we can plant. We will need to throw up a temporary fence soon, too, but most of the posts are in, so it won't take long. Can't let the deer eat up our snap peas and beans. Can't wait to harvest them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have to keep on top of the weeds with all the rain my area's been having these last few days. But it looks like my strawberries are getting close to ripe. Yay!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Today I attacked weeds with the hoe and the clippers. Put down some more newspaper and straw mulch in areas I had missed. Trimmed dead and dying branches off the redbud. Took two big armloads of branches back to pile by the fence.

Got 5 radishes out of the garden.

We only had one huge branch come down this winter, in the back and well away from the house, but there are many small branches. There are still 2 piles, and I have not finished clearing the dead wood out of the lilacs. Here's a photo of the big lilac on the side of the house. As you can see it is as tall as our 2 story home. We can't get through the gate right now because there is a mess of downed branches and dead wood in there. There are smaller lilacs that only come up to the deck rail, on the other side that are easier to clear out.

My 2019 Gardening Thread-img_20190422_133208012.jpg
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The lilac bush looks great, CH. My parents had a lilac bush one of my sisters planted for them at the house we sold a few years back. It didn't get anywhere near this size. Probably a bad location.

I'll probably stop out to the garden tomorrow to see how it's doing, considering we've just had probably around 2 inches of rain over the past few days. Fortunately, I've been wanting to get into the garden more this year since I"ve been bad about it the last few years. That's a good thing, especially since gardening is a great form of exercise.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

There are a lot of different kinds of lilacs. The ones we have around back only get 8-10' high and are more blue than purple. Then we have a 'miniature' purple/pink lilac by the driveway that is only ~6ft and has smaller flower heads. And they are very happy to get fertilizer. The last few years we have been giving them chicken poo in the fall and it has made a noticeable difference in the foliage.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ah. The poor lilac was sorely neglected for many - many - years. There's one by the old house where my community garden is. I might try putting some compost around its base to see if it 'likes' it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love lilacs! my big one in the front need some pruning but that is later. my yellow rose bush is blooming now so lovely. raining today which is needed by all the plants.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

put out a bunch of potted seeds that ds had done a long time ago to see what spouts. he can be stubborn so decided he was planting when a friend gave us a small little greenhouse one of those couple of shelves one. but didn't listen that it was sept so yeah nothing was coming from it and of course no watering etc. so they have been sitting there ..no idea what they are either just random seeds ..will see!

started watching monty don's big dreams small gardens show on netflix getting inspired. amazing what they do in a small space. the homeowners have a plan and he just advises them and helps out. not a backyard makeover maybe you get want you want show. some have small budgets and some have big.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast