My 2019 Gardening Thread - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So you just blend peppers and vinegar? Our problem is we're particular about hot sauce and favor Tabasco. We both like the green jalapeno and I like the original red in soups and other ways. Our favorite way to eat avocados is on Triscuits with green Tabasco. Also like the green on eggs. We sometimes make that into lunch when we're camping. Simple, quick, barely any dirty dishes.

Got the stereo stacked on the stereo cabinet. It can sit there a few months. I left the amp hooked up to my old system so I can use it again. Even with the touchy volume control, it still works better than the old receiver.

Got my 4 banana peppers planted. I'm experimenting with putting 2 in a large pot. I grow peppers in the AGs, 2 per AG, and they do fine. I don't see why it should be any different in dirt instead of water.

I figured out I actually do have some heavy gray pack cloth suitable for the 2 corners I have to patch into the AAR. That helps. We're putting together an order for Amazon so we can get the fourth handle that goes on the back corner of the camper. It will be one of the attachment points for the AAR, so need to get that put on. I still think I will need to add a gusset up by the roof peak, but won't know till we get the room set up on level ground. But the first 2 things I need to do are get the AAR modded so it will seal around the ends of the camper, and make the skirt that will close off the area from the bottom of the trailer to the ground on the door side. I'm hoping neither will be as challenging as previous AARs.

Slowly getting little inconsequential things done.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oops, thought I was posting about the AAR in the stash management thread. Sorry.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yes, chilis, vinegar and salt. Of course you can adjust the salt, and add other ingredients like garlic, onion, carrot or tomato puree to thicken or tone down the chili, sugar, etc. A million recipes, but here is a basic one: https://dontwastethecrumbs.com/2016/...ade-hot-sauce/ I used to like the smoky tabasco, but have not seen it in stores in years.

Plants are planted. The pepper is in. My tomatillo is doing well, I put a tomato cage around it to keep it off the ground. It is blooming. So. Many. Weeds. I think I finally got the grapevine and honeysuckle out of the lilacs, for now. Went half way down the fence on the other side of the yard with the clippers. Cleaned some trash trees out of the wild flower bed and planted a Butterfly Plant (aka Milkweed), a Daisy, and something called Bidens. I had daisies once but they seem to be gone. I have been trying to get milkweed to seed for years but the soil there is so bad nothing will come up.

Today was an excellent day to get tomato cages in, too.

My day lilies are blooming. It made me realize our irises never bloomed. They came up but did nothing. A friend of mine said her tulips did not bloom this year but her irises were great. I dunno.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

my irises didn't do much either this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Problem is my tools wouldn't fit in my car. The community garden has tools I can use if anything happens to mine. So far, no one's stolen any of the tools. Fruits and veggies, yes, but no tools.

So far, I'm doing ok on keeping the weeds under control. I'm not someone who keeps a spotless garden other than the plants I want.

My pea plants have decided to take over a small trellis I put in for my cukes. The cukes I planted next to the peas have been pretty much buried under them. Fortunately, I have more cukes planted. It's been so cool and rainy, things are only now really starting to grow. I have some tomatoes but they're not ripe yet. I just hope I can harvest them before the critters get 'em. The peas are coming in so I should be able to harvest them soon.

Not sure if my new lavender plant will survive but I'll wait and see. If nothing else, I now have a new place to look for a replacement if I need. I'm also thinking of planting geraniums but there are several other people who planted some. Hopefully that will keep out some of the critters.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We got so much rain this weekend. Kind of good for the garden, but I'm thinking too much water. Dgd was so excited to see her lettuce had started growing. The cucumber plant has grown a bit too. No blooms on it yet. The tomato plant looks good too. I bought a pepper plant that needs planting and a few flowers. Also a citronella plant. It smells good. I wanted another lavender plant, but they were out of them. I picked up a couple of geraniums. They say they are good for repelling mosquitos too. I won't have much from the garden this year, but dgd is really excited about what we have and that's all that matters.

Since the ground is still wet, I should probably go out and pull weeds here and there. It will be easier to get things pulled up. So much to do.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

whoohooo! The builder showed up and actually staked out the area to clear and says he'll have equipment onsite Sunday...we'll see.

My 2019 Gardening Thread-photo2412.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yes...my builder looks like redneck Santa and I say that as someone raised by a redneck and a nice midwestern lady.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Pretty setting, Maggie.

Thanks, CH. I will print and save the recipe. I think Anahiems might make a good mild green sauce. I snagged about 6 of the big green Tabascos on closeout so won't need any for a few years though. I bought smoky Tabasco in the past year, I think. Bet you could add some liquid smoke to regular Tabasco and get a nice smoky flavor.

The peas and beans seem happy now that I pulled the weed cloth out. There are little tomatoes on several of our plants. Still don't have the table garden done or the lilies moved. Need to quit working on the camper.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There isn't much salt in that hot sauce recipe. My kinda recipe! Thanks again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Finally got my first peas of the season. There are still quite a few left on the plants but they weren't ready to be picked. Also picked a couple of turnips from the seed tape I tried. Not that many but at least it worked a bit. There are a couple of cukes but I didn't pick them yet. I'll probably pick them on Thursday when I have the day off. Definitely not enough to pickle but at least I learned to put the trellis in between the peas and cukes. (And I need a larger trellis.)

I don't think my new lavender plant is going to survive. I didn't put enough dirt around it. Oh well. I'll have to stop in to the orchard store and see if they have any more potted lavender plants left to sell this year.

We never did get our compost for the year from the township. Oh well. I need to check out if the compost has any left in one of the bins. I'm sure people have been using it up since we didn't get our usual batch this year. (Another reason I usually do the chop and drop method of weeding.)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Had a look at the garden today. Not as dried out as I thought. Peas are blooming. Tomatoes have little green fruit. Cucumbers and squash are both blooming. Kind of surprised by the cucumbers, they started late and went in late but really took off once they got in the ground. Garlic everywhere. More lettuce coming. Carrot greens getting big. I watered that area. The row of red leaves I thought was chard isn't getting as big as it should, so I suspect this is beets. I put in 2 packets of chard, not a single leaf. Onions are getting huge. I pulled one that was half out of the soil anyway, to check. It needs to dry a bit, we will use it next week. Peppers look ok, like everything they could use a good rain.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got a lot of peas over the weekend. Also got 2 tomatoes and 3 cukes. Not sure what I'm going to do with those yet. I may pick up a couple more tomatoes from the store, cut them up and cook them down a bit into a chunky sort of sauce.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I would make a simple salad. Cut up everything and add a light vinaigrette. If you want to add anything, shave the kernels off a fresh ear of corn. IMO fresh summer produce is best when it is raw.

We got the rain I was hoping for and this week is going to be hot and sunny, so I am looking forward to peas and tomatoes soon.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have 3 tiny spinach plants I planted last week. Salad mixes and radishes are coming up. No sign of kale or carrots. Beans are blooming. Snap peas are attaching to their trellis. Potatoes are going wild. Tomatoes are blooming and some have little fruit. Peppers are budding. The pathetic zucchini is looking better. The newly planted zucchini seeds have yet to emerge. It's starting to look like an actual garden area around here. Nothing to harvest though.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast