My 2019 Gardening Thread - Page 7
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thing is, I don't like raw tomatoes. So I have to cook them in order to eat them. I planted the tomatoes to get tomato sauce but I didn't buy enough this year. Oh well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I used to not like tomatoes at all. But over the years I made a conscious effort to try to like them. It worked! I still don't like them by themselves, but love them in sandwiches and salads. Someday maybe I will like them for themselves. I've done the same with lots of fruit and veggies. My latest success is avocados.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I had a boyfriend who would not eat raw tomatoes, called them "little pink bicycle wheels of death". But then, he wasn't getting fresh garden tomatoes. DH doesn't like them cooked into sauce, he wants them cold out of the fridge. I had to explain to him why we don't put fresh tomatoes in the fridge when I have to pick them early.

Inspired by my own idea I bought 2 small ears of corn and a tomato to make a salad with. I can pinch a few basil leaves, too. https://www.spendwithpennies.com/summer-corn-salad/ Substitutes work well, use fresh raw zucchini, peppers, peas, radishes, avocado, cilantro, feta, whatever.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Okay, it looked good so I had to try it. I like it well enough I'm going to add it to the 2nd week recipes in my camper cookbooks. I always have the dressing ingredients along and usually a can of corn and onions in the camper pantry. We shop for fresh foods after being gone a week, and of course cukes and tomatoes are easy to find at any store. The recipe fits well with my requirements for travel food. It probably wouldn't keep a week, but it's a nice small batch so should work anyway. Thanks!

I cut green olives in half and added those, plus some dill and fresh ground pepper. As you said, there are lots of potential options. The blue cheese idea sounds good, too. I might try that sometime, too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I thought that recipe might be right up your alley. Try it with lime juice instead of vinegar. That is how I made it last year.

We have peas! And tomatoes! I went out to pick lettuce (can't believe we still have lettuce in July) and found lots of fat pea pods. So I guess I will be shelling them tomorrow. Haven't done that since I was a kid. I'm not sure DH has ever had peas out of a pod. Also yanked up a few stalks of oregano, I'm getting low and need to dry more. The onions and garlic look like they will be ready to harvest soon. Expecting more 90-100* days this week, that will do it. There were a few of the little yellow tomatoes DH loves, so he will get to eat the first ones.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

mmm fresh garden tomatoes nothing like it. .. slices of tomato w butter and bread so good. had a monster cherry tomato plant last year and dh is you are going to force me to eat them. said no one will waste good garden tomatoes on people who don't like them. have a line up of people wanting them lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have a couple little yellow tomatoes, too. They're on a plant called a tri-color. It's supposed to bear 3 different colors. Should be interesting. We got that one in a gallon container at the nursery, so we cheated. It's 3' tall and still growing.

The new little zuke went from zero to one inch today. The old one looks better, too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Spent time in the garden this morning. Thought I would start by weeding the garden path that leads from the deck to the center of the garden. Lot of grass and dandelions growing between the pavers. And a few errant tomatoes, grapevine, garlic, redbud, etc. I had scissors and was cutting what I could not pull out of the ground. Got about halfway and came to the volunteer tomatoes growing all over the place, had to tie them up to the cucumber trellis (cukes on the other side) before I could go any farther. Pulled up a dozen or more small heads of volunteer garlic. Each one is about as big as the end of my thumb, but still usable. Wanted to get them out of the way of the tomatoes, and remove them before they dropped seed everywhere again. The whole time my little stray cat Boots was following me around wanting to be petted.

Did some other miscellaneous weeding, and realized I still had two tomatoes I hadn't caged. Ugh. They were getting big and have fruit on them. One I got into a cage, the other one is too large and already going horizontal. It may end up not cooperating. I pounded the cages in with a brick but the soil is too dry now, they didn't go far.

Peppers looked ok, but need water. Lots of green anaheim chilis coming. A couple little green bells. The ghost pepper is doing ok, not growing yet. The tomatillo is as tall as I am and hasn't set fruit. I don't know about that, last time I grew one it got about a foot tall and did nothing.

Cucumbers growing well, lots of flowers, no fruit yet. Could see flowers on the squash but did not look closely. Waiting.

Onions look like they are almost done. There are some leftovers from last year. The tiny bulbs I planted early this year are about the size of my fist. I pulled one that had grown itself almost out of the ground.

There is a potato growing in our compost bin. It's good location, though, lots of rich soil and nutrients. Hope we get some good ones.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have one orange tomato and a bunch of green ones. Dgd will be so excited. She watches Peppa Pig and she showed me a video of them eating a tomato salad. It was sliced tomatoes and basil on top. I don't have basil, so I may get some spinach and cut it up on top. She'll never know. At least not now. She says she loves tomato salad. We'll see. She smells everything and then shudders.

Lots of blooms on the cucumber plant, but I don't think it will do well. I haven't seen any blooms on the green pepper, lots of blooms on the ghost pepper. I don't know why I grow ghost peppers. No one here eats them.

The lettuce is trying. I think it's just too hot for lettuce. I could bring it inside and put it in the basement. We have a light down there for the ghost pepper plant. We keep it going year round. Crazy, I know.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My ghost pepper plant is still alive, that's about all I can say about it. It went in late and was not in great shape when I bought it, so I hope it is putting down good healthy roots. I am going to try making hot sauce this fall. My favorite sauce company has stopped producing the one I like. As hot as that pepper is, I only need one for the recipe.

I still have lettuce, it is in the shady part of the garden, but it is starting to bolt and I probably will not pick it again.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have no idea what my garden looks like. I haven't been in it in two weeks. I will likely weed over the weekend. But between the reaction to meds and last week(end)'s heat, I just couldn't deal with it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I picked up some napa cabbage and broccoli at the community garden after the lecture this morning. They also suggested green beans and spinach, so I got seeds for those plus more red chard. In theory if I plant now, mulch and water well we can have a second fall crop.

Cool front due through with maybe some rain Monday morning, so it looks like a good time to plant. Glad I weeded last week.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Low 70's today, even with humidity in the 80's it was nice out. I weeded a LOT. We got just enough rain to soften the top inch of soil so I got a lot of the grassy crap out. Pulled another handful of volunteer garlic and passed it over the fence to our immigrant neighbors. Put down swiss chard seed and a row of bush beans. Those are supposed to do well in the fall if I can keep them alive. I got my first serrano chili pepper. Need to figure out what I am going to do with all those.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I can see tomatoes from the kitchen window so I had to go picking this morning. It was a good day for wildlife. I spotted some of those poisonous white caterpillars in my lilacs this morning. They dropped off into the underbrush. Not really dangerous unless you pick one up. We have a big beautiful Argiope again this year. She is about 2" long. Not the biggest I've seen, but a good size. I didn't have to disturb her, which was nice. Multiple locusts hopping around, it's that time of year, doesn't seem bad this year. In the old days, before common use of pesticides(only about 100 years ago) they used to get swarms of locusts here that would darken the skies. They would cover miles and miles of land and eat everything, even the hairs off cattle and leather boots and straps left outside. It was truly devastating. Now they're just annoying.

Picked tomatoes until I got tired of it. There are more of the little ones than we can eat. Got one cucumber. One bell pepper and five chilis. Many more of both coming. The tomatillo is growing and blooming and no fruit yet. I pulled up an onion, the last few are drying out.

Beans are up and growing well. Some chard came up. Some radishes re-seeded, ha ha. I don't know what the beets are doing. Carrots look good. Put the hose on that part of the garden. Critters got one of the broccoli plants, nothing left but a nub. The two cabbages are tiny, but growing.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You could dry your extra tomatoes and grind them for tomato powder.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast