My 2019 Gardening Thread - Page 8
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    You could dry your extra tomatoes and grind them for tomato powder.
    I have done that in the past and didn't find a lot of use for it. I also dried them like cranberries, dry but chewy, and the flavor varied so much. Some would be sweet and some came out very bitter. I also roasted and froze them, but DH doesn't like them in sauce, so they are still in the freezer. He'll only eat them fresh, so I cram as many into a salad as I can. So if we don't eat them, why do I have so many? I think I put in one yellow plant and the rest are volunteers. These guys : https://www.ecrater.com/p/17353700/r...om-wild-tomato I planted them once ~15 years ago and they reseed every year. My two large varieties have yet to produce anything we can eat, though there are large green ones coming. I hope those don't rot.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That would be great to have reseeding tomatoes. They probably wouldn't grow here. Maybe you could make juice or sauce from them.

I bought tomato powder to use for DIY ramen seasoning. I thought of other uses for it, which I can't recall ATM. I haven't been cooking much lately. For a while I was finding lots of different uses which I guess I should have written down.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Drying them like berries would be like sun dried tomatoes.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Once again, the weeds have taken over my garden due to lack of maintenance on my part back in July. I'm slowly reclaiming the plot but I have no idea what I want to put in there once I do get it cleared. I do know I want to plant a new lavender plant (likely next spring). Other than that, I'll probably plant beans again.

The temperature has been going up and down quite a bit. One week, the highs will be in the upper 80*s/lower 90*s. The next week, we're lucky to get out of 70*s as a high. The only thing that seems to be enjoying my neglect are my strawberry plants. I do need to make sure I pick up more tomato plants next year. I got a good amount of the cherry tomatoes but I only picked up one regular tomato plant. I need more if I'm going to make tomato sauce for myself. I can pick tomatoes up from the farmer's market but I'd like to use my own.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My "garden" is about done. I think there are 3 tomatoes left. The plant looks like it's dying. The cucumbers did nothing. Lots of blooms and then the plant looked sickly. I didn't have the right kind for the pot I was using. That's okay. I got plenty from my parents. The lettuce didn't do well. It was just too hot. I think once it starts to cool down, we'll try one more time. It's for dgd. The ghost pepper plant is doing well, although I don't know why we even have it. No one uses them here. I think dh takes them to work for someone there. The green pepper plant didn't do anything either. Oh well, we tried. I am happy with the tomatoes!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The tomatoes are still coming on strong. I picked several large ones earlier this week. Three more yesterday. I am thinking of blanching and seeding them for the freezer and soup later. Had a friend over today, she brought apples and pears from their orchard, I let her pick as many tomatoes and peppers as she wanted today. She said I had green beans (already!) and picked a double handful for me.

The tomatillo is fruiting! Or something. I was getting ready to pull it out, thinking it had been a waste of effort, and it was blocking the peppers and tomatoes from the afternoon sun. Now it has little green "paper" balls all over it. And it is a huge plant, at least 5ft tall. There are potentially dozens of tomatillos coming.

I think the rain has mostly missed us tonight, but temps are dropping with the cold front. Tomorrow will feel like fall.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

pouring rain today so put the plants off the patio table into the rain to be watered. got some winter seedlings and a pot mum. didn't plant anything this year but tomato plants grew from tomatoes that fell last year. so got 9 ripe cherry tomatoes today

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Picked a couple of nice tomatoes on Friday. Noticed I had some that would be ripe this week, but it rained hard over the weekend and they split open and started to rot. It's that or the squirrels with the large ones. I've stopped picking the tiny cherries because nobody wants them. I may try drying some to use in soup later.

Went out yesterday morning. It was hot and muggy. Cucumber vine is dead and I picked the last two small ones. Don't know if they will be edible or not. Lots of chili peppers, bell peppers still coming. The Ghost pepper plant went it late and never did anything. The tomatillo continues to get huge, has flopped over and is producing little paper balls.... with no fruit inside. Bees and bugs all over it since it still has flowers.

A few green beans left, not enough to pick. They did well and I will put more in next year for sure! Beets were a waste of time. Lots of leaves, no root. Carrots are still going, but they are little (it's short variety, for our clay soil) and not growing as expected. Another variety of cherry tomato self seeded and has fruit.... will see if they are still there in a few days or if the squirrels get them.

Did not see the Argiope spider. Not sure where she went. She could be hiding anywhere in the bushes.

Sunflowers are all blooming. Was a mixed pack and I managed to get all yellow ones. Will definitely plant more next year.

Cold air arrived last night. It is supposed to be 50-70 all week and likely won't warm up very much again. Fall is here. A few more tomatoes might ripen, and the peppers out there will keep until it nears freezing.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

well finally planted the seedlings I bought ages ago and most had dried out so will see..didn't go out to water them because raining all week so didn't think greenhouse would be hot enough to dry the pots out. so will see what grows or not kale wasn't effected lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My community garden is pretty much done for the season. I may have to move some of grass/weeds that I put down as a cover crop (using the pull and drop method) but that's ok.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I brought my ghost pepper plant in last week. Temps were going to get pretty low and didn't want it to freeze. Only got a couple of peppers this year, but noticed it has tons of blooms on it. Not sure why I keep it, we don't eat the peppers. TOooo hot. I guess it's just fun to see if we can keep it going.

We cleaned the deck off last weekend. Dumped most of the pots and then covered them for the winter. I put the flower boxes in the shed. There are some flowers in there that tend to come back. They aren't perrenials, but they will come back for a few years and then die off. Hopefully that will be the case for these.

I got a couple of new bird feeders. Hope to attract some finches this year. Put out food, but so far not many birds. I saw a couple of sparrows this morning. Washed the hummingbird feeders and put them away for the winter. We loved watching the hummingbirds this year. THis if the first year we've done that.

Not sure if we'll do much next year. We'll see if dgd wants to do anything. If not, I may not do any veggies.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678