Dollar Stretcher "Silly Questions" thread - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Greetings all....I've been busy AND I clearly need an attitude adjustment. I think I've had the adjustment, though I'm still busy. I talked to Mr. Builder and Mrs. Builder...they claim I am NEXT on the list and things will start in MAY!!! WOOHOO! I knew when I insisted on April that it would be a bit later. The ground has been too wet but now it is dry enough to drive on and dig so they hopefully will show up.

I had a younger cousin visit and she thought I was a little to "on the grid" for her taste. I have a compost bucket toilet system. She asked if she could pee outside...I told her to knock herself out. Pee anywhere. 36 acres in bad need of nitrogen.
    She works in the wood products industry (I have very little idea what that means). She was in the area for a client (??) and trying to meet up with a fellow wood products guy. This guy can certify special cut timbers! This is important to me because Mr. Builder got a saw mill and wants to cut my beams and posts himself. These won't be the same strength as typical cut lumber and since the strength is an unknown, each one must be certified. The engineer I paid to do and stamp drawings will certify as well, but he lives further away, on grid and will charge more $$. This friend guy lives about 15 minutes away, off grid and likes alternative building. Yay!!! THat visit was very worth it. I hadn't seen the girl but once since she was 8 years old. I think we're the only 2 people in our extended family who would think a bucket toilet was fine so turns out we now have lots in common and she expects to be back. She called to check on visiting, apparently after her grampa (my uncle) assured her I was not scary or mean. I'm a little of both actually, but so is she. She asked if she could hang a hammock and sleep outside. I offered her a square of buggy floor and she took it. I also said that I was extremely busy working the weekend and getting new bees for the hives so if she wanted to see me, she'd have to ride around and help. She did and she was very helpful. No screaming about the bees, very little whining when I forgot to feed her one day (she just went and found some apples and my jar of sunflower seeds and helped herself...good), no whininging about the floor, in fact she wrote down the brand of camping mattress. So, she is welcome back.

Again, sorry for my cranky-ness in a few past posts. I'm working on it. This is my first day off from work in 2 or 3 weeks. I'm not even clear on that. As an introvert, it was tooooo much but I have a job that runs in cycles between full time and too much time so it happens. Mostly it is an excellent job but sometimes overwhelming.

Enough for now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Welcome back!

That's great news about the upcoming build, Maggie! Will you be sharing pics? It would be fun to see the progress.

We're watching Tiny House Nation right now. Kind of interesting. My favorites are the ones that aren't trailers. They're able to do so much more with them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great news that you are next in line for building, it must be very exciting for you. I for one and excited for you and can't wait to hear the updates. It sounds as though your cousin had a nice visit and she probably feels differently now on what her tastes are! I thought her wanting to pee outside instead of the bucket was pretty funny.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.[FONT=Arial Black][/FON

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

never thought you were cranky maggie! glad to hear that it is starting to come together for you. yes it is annoying when someone thinks they are doing something nice and in a way they are but you want them to ask first! because you didn't want it. I don't like someone doing my thinking for me either most times when a guy does it , it is wrong and I definitely don't like it. I am going away in the summer and worry about my house!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

had to re-up the permit again today...25$. I will run through all the extensions and have to renew it before I'm done. BUT 50$/year is WAY less than getting a mortgage.

The builder is still saying around the end of this month they should start....we'll see.
    I talked to friends who were having a shop built next to a house they bought. The contractor did it wrong and the contract they all had doesn't allow them to just make him go away! They now have a 2nd contractor out recording errors (the slab wasn't put in right, post-n-beam not done to code, metal not attached to the walls right...CRIPES!. So I guess my delay issue isn't the worst around. Just 1 year late, not 9 months late AND starting to find a contractor to undo what has been done like my friends. They will end up with major legal bills that I won't have.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Builder claims they will be onsite for a soils check and access, staging areas prep by the end of this week...we'll see...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The builder finally showed up on Tuesday June 25...says he will be back sunday to start clearing and grubbing the area for the house and putting in access for the trucks of materials! Here's hoping! He had 2 other jobs running and both seem to be about done.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Holy crap! They actually started on sunday! I let the builders know last week that I was putting up a game camera so I would have pictures of the process....shortly after that mrs builder called up to get the proper address for the place and have an outhouse delivered....yikes! I wonder if they would have skipped the outhouse had I not put up the camera (which is in full view of the crew...not a secret but it was mrs builder who thought of the outhouse)

Dollar Stretcher "Silly Questions" thread-photo2426.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How exciting to finally have them starting! Beautiful piece of property you have.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.[FONT=Arial Black][/FON

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Awesome! I know you have been planning and dreaming of this for years. Beautiful site! think they have to have an outhouse on all sites. normally first thing delivered. the ones here on the house building sites get used by the general public because why not. handy. once cookie selling and a twitchy little girl the pee dance...porta potty across the street saved the day. they have pink ones here to do blue and pink for bigger sites.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you! I am having trouble switching gears from "planning" to "doing" but that will happen! So exciting and scary. The porta-john is up and running...but it's so windy the crew is afraid it will blow over. I told them to feel free to wee anywhere as I need the nitrogen in the soil, but for #2s please use the john. It's minty green. I'm tempted to go in there and change into a wonderwoman suit and rush out to save the day just to amuse my self and wig out the boys on the job. Here's hoping it goes well!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Woohoo! The boyz are working almost every day now. I am apparently going to have a good sized retaining wall north and west of the house due to slope and waterline issues. The builder (Doug) wanted to just use the giant BLACK basalt boulders he has but I begged for LIGHT colored rock. I would have an absolute oven on the northwest corner for 6 months of the year and a giant heat sink the other 3 months sucking warmth out of my house and sending it to the solar system (I've frozen water at night here by using the solar cooker pointed at dark sky...apparently it's a thing). I did ask that he step the wall back into a couple of levels so I can have little gardens or shrubs or something other than 5 feet of rock. This helped him since any wall over 4' tall needs an engineer approval and cutting it into a terrace or two makes multiple short walls which are OK. I asked for 8-10 feet of space between the edge of the porch and the toe of the retaining wall. I have a shed roof over 30 feet long dumping snow and water there so there has to be space to let it fall and for me to dig it out if need be on a bad winter.

Much of the dirt he took out is making me a flat spot to the east of the house (toward the highway) which might make a garden or greenhouse area. He thought parking but I don't due visitors and find that making them climb a hill cuts down on the visits. Park at the bottom until I can't walk up myself, then maybe get a little funicular or something fun to get up there.

I also got a chicken! A one-eyed rooster who was getting beaten up too much at the community garden flock (hence one eye). I named him Cogburn...obviously. He has a pallet coop with a small yard. It's a test to see how poultry might do with the local coyote and mountain lion and weasel population. So far he's made it 10 days and is looking (but not seeing) better every day.. His neck and back were picked bald and raw and his beak was messed up.
    I AM starting to think he might be intersexed. He was purchased as a pullet but never laid and acted like a rooster, but he does not crow and I caught him clucking the other day, but no eggs still...I might have to change the name to "Poultry Cogburn" but that isn't a John Wayne character so not as funny.

Now I must research that in floor heat tubing and figure out where to buy it. Tips are welcome.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

couple of pics

Dollar Stretcher "Silly Questions" thread-pict0282.jpg

Dollar Stretcher "Silly Questions" thread-pict0332.jpg

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Construction is so exciting! Congrats on the progress. I like the terrace idea.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

well...not much has happened since that picture. a bit more rock showed up and then nothing. i stop by the builder’s shop frequently. yesterday i went to wish them the month anniversary since any one of the crew had touched any thing at my place. i am ticked off but don’t know what to do about it since no one else will do my non-normal type of structure. i guess i will start calling and going by daily

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast