Dollar Stretcher "Silly Questions" thread - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieTrudeau View Post
    well...not much has happened since that picture. a bit more rock showed up and then nothing. i stop by the builder’s shop frequently. yesterday i went to wish them the month anniversary since any one of the crew had touched any thing at my place. i am ticked off but don’t know what to do about it since no one else will do my non-normal type of structure. i guess i will start calling and going by daily
    that sucks is it too hot or vacation time or something. since you only have so much time before winter.
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on FacebookSpurl this Post!Reddit!Wong this Post!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

They keep doing other things. There has been a litany of excuses including "we have to put our cat down' which came up 2 weeks ago (said cat is still alive and on Friday was pronounced..."just fine"...uh, it's a skeleton with fur but whatever)
    Broken machines (I drove past the rental place and it had machines available)
    Lack of staff (saw them at the store, not sick or in body casts...so...)

I think it's that this is a small job 30 minutes out of town and we all know there isn't anyone else who will do it. So, now I"m taking time off work every day to drive down, an hour from work, 30 minutes from the house, to stare at them and be a pain in the butt.
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on FacebookSpurl this Post!Reddit!Wong this Post!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh gosh, how unbelievably frustrating for you! It certainly sounds like they are just making excuses, hopefully things will turn around soon.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.[FONT=Arial Black][/FON

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieTrudeau View Post
    They keep doing other things. There has been a litany of excuses including "we have to put our cat down' which came up 2 weeks ago (said cat is still alive and on Friday was pronounced..."just fine"...uh, it's a skeleton with fur but whatever)
    Broken machines (I drove past the rental place and it had machines available)
    Lack of staff (saw them at the store, not sick or in body casts...so...)

I think it's that this is a small job 30 minutes out of town and we all know there isn't anyone else who will do it. So, now I"m taking time off work every day to drive down, an hour from work, 30 minutes from the house, to stare at them and be a pain in the butt.
    you would think they would just want to get it over with if they have staff sitting around costing them money.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm trying not to think ill of them....they are messing with my karma!
    I had to re-up my septic permit (no house...no septic) and the permit lady asked why. I told her I needed to have my builder put out of my misery (JOKE!!! of course) and she said...no, he had a great beard so we better let him live. He does indeed look like redneck santa claus with his curly white beard. One piece of equipment showed up Wednesday. No people worked. same thing yesterday. We'll see about today. I have a funeral to go to tomorrow so won't be there to harass them if they do show up.
    If they aren't going to get things done, I can't go through winter with a giant pile of clay eroding down the hill and into the creek so that needs to be addressed if nothing else. Too bad I like the work they do when they finally finish!

That said, I need to figure out how to run pex tubing in the slab in case I ever get one! Finally found out which kind to use for in floor heating. My brother said to put it on little chairs ...I don't know what that means so better find out.

Also need to file a water right! it's always something.

in more FUN news. Have I mentioned my rooster...with one eye? Named him Rooster Cogburn (obviously). He's not very masculine, may actually be genetically intersexed. And he has a twisted spine. Not a good breeder. He's been living alone in my coop and small yard I set up since his rescue from being beaten up daily at the community garden by the more manly roosters. A friend had a hen who was being abused and doesn't lay eggs...so now Rooster Cogburn has a life partner. I named her Eula Goodnight (Katherine Hepburn's character in the movie with John Wayne). They are keeping me amused. And count as "livestock" for my water right.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

that is cute! need pics

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hope the crew got started again and finished. Would love to see more pics.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks to all! The builder and 2 others showed up yesterday. I talked to him later. I got home at 6pm and they were already gone...not back yet by 8am today. Anyway, I talked to him. He had started the rock wall to hold the slope behind the new house. He had planned to do a 2:1 slope but it seems to be 1:1. I'll head home early today and try to catch him onsite to ask about that. At this point...just DO SOMETHING. During the phone chat last evening he talked about how long and hard they worked. Uh..I have a wildlife cam set up that they know about and that takes a picture every 30 minutes. They are in 4 pictures. Even assuming they showed up 1 second after the last picture they aren't in, and left 29 minutes after their last photo, that's 3 hours. Hardly a long time. Anyway, they were running out of rock. I just don't understand the need to magnify one's own accomplishments but I suppose that is my problem, not his. If he needs to feel like he did a huge amount of work, then FINE. Whatever.

I extended my septic permit, my plumbing permit, and my building permit. Now I have to file a water right for the adjudication that is going on.
    I am starting to think I'm a celebrity. Everyone wants my autograph ...on a check.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

here's a currenpt picture for folks:
    Dollar Stretcher "Silly Questions" thread-sept32019buildpic.jpg

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I hope they continue to work and get something done before it snows.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I also got my "north idaho energy logs" for the winter. Like presto logs but 8lbs each as opposed to 3 or 5lbs for prestos. This is 1 ton on my wee porch:
    Dollar Stretcher "Silly Questions" thread-logs2019.jpg

The hardware 25 miles away is selling them in 1 ton or half ton lots this year. I never wanted to put a full ton in my 1999 half ton chevy so instead i paid about 50$ for delivery (seemed cheaper than new axles or blown tires or whatever could have happened). For teh half tons I got 1 on sunday when I was in Moscow ID for my radio show anyway and another this morning after my yoga class. FYI: easier to stack wood after an hour of stretching compared to 2 hours of sitting and talking on the radio. It costs me 7$ in gas to drive the truck. 5$ to drive the car. I make these trips anyway so I paid 4$ increased gas to get these which is a 46$ savings. There was a Labor day sale on as well. I think that made them about 10$ less than last year. Price is probably up this year. They were dated Aug 16, 2019. Appeared to be the manufacture date. That's good. They do pick up a bit of moisture as time goes on but the weather has been mostly bone dry this month and they were still wrapped in plastic and are once again in plastic on my porch.

I was also able to back my truck RIGHT up to my porch (the whole building crew watched my mad backing-up skills as I started at the bottom of the hill and ended 4" from the porch with no shenanigans...my grampa made me learn to back up before he taught me to drive forward).
    so, instead of the pallet being on the ground yards away from the wee shed and me stepping up twice and turning twice to stack the logs, I could move a dozen or so logs onto the tail gate. Step slightly DOWN onto my wee porch, and just move them 2 at a time to stack. The old method was basically 120 lunges (240 logs in a ton) with 16lbs extra weight. Picking up, backing up and a 1/4 turn was way way better. My thighs and butt used to be sore for at least a day. Thank goodness for those powerful german peasant stock hindquarters.

The only icky part was that sometime between Sunday and today (so I'm thinking Monday-ish) a mouse died in the pickup cab. I didn't find it but it REEKED. I keep poison in there to kill them but the do stink. I guess I better freshen up the poison in the car.

OH!!!! ALSO!!!! I got an egg this weekend!! One of the new misfit chickens laid an egg. Fun. I ate it immediately. Estimated cost of total farm produce so far: 125,000$ If there is a second egg I can amortize that and it will be 62,500$/egg.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

sorry that picture is sideways. I suck at computers

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Happy for you that your workers are back to working! I can sympathize with you over the dead mouse smell, I had it in my car too. Uck. Isn't it funny that something as small as an egg can make us so happy?! I bet it tasted great.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.[FONT=Arial Black][/FON

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It took 2 tries but I got my plumbing inspection passed!!!
    Dollar Stretcher "Silly Questions" thread-photo2680.jpg
    A VERY expensive sticker. I DIY'd the plumbing with a huge amount of help. The first "draft" 20 hours of 3 people's lives and hundreds in fittings) did not meet code. Not because it wouldn't work...but code (539 pages of it....PLUS many addenda) had CHANGED in the last 2 years since my design was OK'd. As had the inspector. I had to cut it out and re-do it. I did a smoother design. "san-T" fittings are no longer legal...apparently. And even though THEY WORK the short sweeps into the drain line are not legal...must by the BIG SWEEP (for big poops? better muzzle velocity?) and the vents must now be 15 or more degrees Above horizontal. I think mine were, but the inspector didn't like them. The guy helping me was also frustrated as we started the redesign and asked if I had "magical turds" that would double back and go UP STREAM the the plumbing vent and into the sink...perhaps I am part salmon?

anyway, the builder let one of his guys help me yesterday and today I got the magical green sticker saying "bombs away" I guess. The builder was locked and loaded to get the crap buried (HA!) and get the slab area prepped. I've got the porch piers in (usually do that later but my site is hard to access so had to do them first) and a concrete mini-beam in that they are drilling rebar into to hold the forms. The engineer had a slope of concrete that required gravel under it...but gravel doesn't stay on a slope while concrete is poured (unless it too is "magical" and likes to stay upstream) so the builder rigged up an osb board deal to hold the gravel and stay embedded in the concrete. Whatever. It passes inspection and I have a SERIOUS foundation.

Here is my FAVORITE part of the whole plumbing shenanigan. I go to the hardware stores (it always takes 2 or 3 stores to get the many fittings I need) to get twice as many fittings as I need for the re-plumb (I am 30 min from a decent store so I double buy when something HAS to be done but I might screw up...then return the unused bits). I show up at the first store and accept the offer of "a guy to help you with that big order". The "guy" is....MY EX!!! Cripes. We dated for a year...well, he did. I dated for 6 months and spent 6 months convincing him I had well and truly dumped him. That was a few years back, but we hadn't run into each other since. Oh well. It made me laugh. I didn't even know he was still around. I thought he moved back to the midwest as he had planned.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123